I think I'm full of DUMB questions but I'm new at this (File size reduction)

Reaction score
Yes, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

Well I went house shopping and took videos with my P4 of there (hopefully) new place. There are two files each about 4GB in size (.mov)

Well....I took them so I could get my kids' impressions but my web site says it'll only take files of 15 MB or so.

How can I upload or otherwise share these files with my kids? QuickTime says it can get it down to 100MB or so but that's still too big. (I use a iMac)

Hey, someday I'll be knowledgable on all this stuff and be able to GIVE more than I TAKE. Thanks.

FWIW, I used my gopro editor to convert it to a type compatible with youtube and then uploaded with no problems.

Yes, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

Well I went house shopping and took videos with my P4 of there (hopefully) new place. There are two files each about 4GB in size (.mov)

Well....I took them so I could get my kids' impressions but my web site says it'll only take files of 15 MB or so.

How can I upload or otherwise share these files with my kids? QuickTime says it can get it down to 100MB or so but that's still too big. (I use a iMac)

Hey, someday I'll be knowledgable on all this stuff and be able to GIVE more than I TAKE. Thanks.

Try out one of the file sharing sites. I use a free Google Drive account to share home videos with family members.

I would go with YouTube. You can make it private and share with who you want to see it.
For the purposes that you are describing, (sharing with the kids), I would edit it the way you want it, and then do it through youtube which you can embed straight into your site.

Vimeo actually has a better looking compression in my opinion but people run it to more difficulty sometimes embedding vimeo into websites.

But, if youre set on keeping it local, you want to learn about other methods of bringing it down (size-wise).

The reason it's too big right now is because you need to compress it more. There are a few options. You can make multiple parts. (1-3 for example). Play with the DATA RATE when recompressing it to h.264 (AND IF YOU are going to re-compress, you first need to blow it up to something like ProRes because double compressing h.264 will make it look very dark and very lossy), but it's all in the eye.

For a website, you could still do something like flv, m4v. Lot's of choices to make it smaller. Change the resolution? Cutting the resolution in half will change the size in half. Whatever you final playing device will be, play down to that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl