I lost it.. :((

someone on another forum mentioned that the follow the flight path home only works when there is no connection to the rc, and when the ac gets a signal, it will resume normal rth(oa off or on) ie a straight line back to the home point.
I've seen several people mention that, in fact mention a lot of things, but until someone can point to some actual documentation (or a detailed operational test that they actually performed) there's no way to know whether such statements are accurate, or just repeating what someone else has said (or more likely speculated.)

Reactions: lickitysplit11111
someone on another forum mentioned that the follow the flight path home only works when there is no connection to the rc, and when the ac gets a signal, it will resume normal rth(oa off or on) ie a straight line back to the home point.

But thats not what it did ,I lost signal and it made a straight line RTH

I've seen several people mention that, in fact mention a lot of things, but until someone can point to some actual documentation (or a detailed operational test that they actually performed) there's no way to know whether such statements are accurate, or just repeating what someone else has said (or more likely speculated.)
Exactly , when I buy a camera the book is 300+ pages and explains every feature the camera has in detail this really should be the same if not even better, this flys..:)

I apologize if this has been shared previously...here goes.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

id like to see the follow path home feature in action, but im not about to turn off my controler and hope it works...

I am planning to test Return To Home, with Smart Return To Home activated, flying below the RTH altitude that I've set. I want to see if the aircraft elevates to my preset altitude or if it just retraces its steps.

Why would there be any need to turn off the controller to test the various Return To Home features? I'm just going to activate Return To Home via the button on the remote.

On another subject, my P4P sure is "ready to fly" a lot faster than my P3S and P3P ever were. Is the P4 also noticeably quicker to be ready than previous Phantoms? I don't know because I've never flown a P4.

I am planning to test Return To Home, with Smart Return To Home activated, flying below the RTH altitude that I've set. I want to see if the aircraft elevates to my preset altitude or if it just retraces its steps.

Why would there be any need to turn off the controller to test the various Return To Home features? I'm just going to activate Return To Home via the button on the remote.

On another subject, my P4P sure is "ready to fly" a lot faster than my P3S and P3P ever were. Is the P4 also noticeably quicker to be ready than previous Phantoms? I don't know because I've never flown a P4.

as was stated before, there is word going around that the only way to get the ac to follow its path back home is if there is no connection to the rc.

I think the main reason to test turning off the remote is to see if it will retrace it's steps...I believe pushing the rth button will just cause the craft to goto rth elevation and head straight back to home

Reactions: johnmont250
Amazing thread,. msinger & others who helped out Lickity split,, i'd love to get together with you guys & have a few beers sometime.
So much info here, to digest, did we see a pic. of his P4P after the hit, it must be in pretty poor shape

The aircraft only retraces steps if there is no TX connection. Any other RTH will beeline back.

This is an amazing recovery story, thanks go out to our smart mods. There's something to be learned here if this is normal behavior, and I tend to believe it is normal behavior and the cause of the mishap could have been the result of a combination of two things:
1. Glass was the obstacle, which OA may have problems detecting.
2. The light wasn't ideal, as the sun had set.

upload_2016-12-13_18-45-53.png

So, until we hear anything different DJI I'm going to assume that:

1. Glass is a problem for OA.
2. Twilight hours make OA unreliable (as implied in the manual)
3. I may need to buy a refresh policy for my P4P when it arrives.

I'm glad to hear that lickitysplit has a refresh policy. Hopefully he'll get his bird refreshed lickitysplit.

Last edited:

The P4P is 10mph faster than the P4 too! And the extra speed is so handy! Let's you fly a little higher and get the same speed of shot!

So the P4 isn't capable of the 45 mph speed that's stated in DJI's specs? The specs for the P4 and the P4P give the same 45 mph top speed for both.
Oh sorry man. I should have said it's 10mph faster than the P4 in P mode. It's pretty much same top speed on both at 45+

and I tend to believe it is normal behavior and the cause of the mishap could have been the result of a combination of two things:
1. Glass was the obstacle, which OA may have problems detecting.
2. The light wasn't ideal, as the sun had set.
Or it could have been a combination of one thing:
1. RTH OA was not turned on.

I know the OP believes that it was, but regardless it is actually an unknown.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94