I lost it.. :((

The log doesn't actually show it climbing as the buggy rth has been indicated by other in this situation!!! Strange really as I fact it was stable at 232ft and the dropped by time gps was established. I would like to know if the pilot panicked when rth was initiated and held down left stick resulting in drone powering off once signal regained!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We only see the first few seconds of RTH. We regain logging after the drone is already falling due to a likely collision.

And yes unlucky for sure haha.

Reactions: hotashes
We only see the first few seconds of RTH. We regain logging after the drone is already falling due to a likely collision.

And yes unlucky for sure haha.

Must admit it really is bad wording as it makes people think it will avoid any obstacle once rth is activated. What makes it worse is the initial rth height option becomes obsolete in our minds if we're get the impression it will avoid obstacles at all costs
feff0c6e43e1306ab6d90c636252bedf.png

Must admit it really is bad wording as it makes people think it will avoid any obstacle once rth is activated.
Well if the proper options are set it should indeed avoid an obstacle if RTH is activated, with reasonable limits of course (i.e. unit has had sufficient time/distance to rotate forward and establish an RTH path, etc.) I mean, isn't that behavior exactly what the manual describes?

Well if the proper options are activated it should indeed avoid an obstacle if RTH is activated, with reasonable limits of course (i.e. unit has had sufficient time/distance to rotate forward and establish an RTH path, etc.) I mean, isn't that behavior exactly what the manual describes?

I guess if it was above the rth height then it would have no reason to hold range as it's above recommended height so in that case if it just naturally started to return then yes if the drone hadn't had time to turn right round forward facing before hitting building that why obstacle avoidance would not be effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The fatal flaw was that you didn't stay out in the open on the river, but flew in to where signal was blocked by a tall building that was between the Phantom and home.
Signal was lost at 6:16 and the Phantom initiated RTH 3 seconds later to come back home on the straight line path:
i-TDvKf53-XL.jpg

But the straight line path is right through the building which was blocking signal and RTH was not high enough to clear it.
Your screenshot shows where the Phantom was lost when signal was lost before RTH
Impact was at 7:34 and you can even see the track of the Phantom falling here:
i-bxBvrxR-XL.jpg

There are lots of things that can go wrong on a Phantom flight.
The Phantom is a very capable aircraft and it's important not to get too adventurous before you understand what they are and have strategies to ensure they don't happen to you.
It looks like you crashed into the building below. Try looking for it in the circled area.

View attachment 70600
You were 1000% correct Sir,it hit the building ,on the way down there I called campus police and informed them of my boondoggle and they didn't hear of anything happening that morning with a drone but the officer said he'd someone out an take a look before I arrived to look for myself and by the time I got there my baby was sitting on the counter just begging to come home..:D There's still alot of unanswered questions I have but I'm happy the mystery was solved and no one was injuried, I asked the officer if he'd like my contact info just in case damage was discovered but he declined .

If the landing protection feature is turned on the P4P will refuse to land in questionable conditions and instead hover and await instructions. But if no instructions are received it would eventually go into critical battery mode and land anyway.
All not being well, therefore.

You were 1000% correct Sir,it hit the building ,on the way down there I called campus police and informed them of my boondoggle and they didn't hear of anything happening that morning with a drone but the officer said he'd someone out an take a look before I arrived to look for myself and by the time I got there my baby was sitting on the counter just begging to come home..:D There's still alot of unanswered questions I have but I'm happy the mystery was solved and no one was injuried, I asked the officer if he'd like my contact info just in case damage was discovered but he declined .

amazing! so its broken/crashed though?
nice detective work guys!

Reactions: burtong207878
The fatal flaw was that you didn't stay out in the open on the river, but flew in to where signal was blocked by a tall building that was between the Phantom and home.
Signal was lost at 6:16 and the Phantom initiated RTH 3 seconds later to come back home on the straight line path:
i-TDvKf53-XL.jpg

But the straight line path is right through the building which was blocking signal and RTH was not high enough to clear it.
Your screenshot shows where the Phantom was lost when signal was lost before RTH
Impact was at 7:34 and you can even see the track of the Phantom falling here:
i-bxBvrxR-XL.jpg

There are lots of things that can go wrong on a Phantom flight.
The Phantom is a very capable aircraft and it's important not to get too adventurous before you understand what they are and have strategies to ensure they don't happen to you.
Thank you, I learned to listen to what the "Mods" say on the Nikon forum because they know what they talking about, when Phantom Help said it I kinda doubted it at first but when both of you's said the same thing I put my sneakers on and grabbed my jacket and came home with it.. DJI Refresh has a customer coming

Attachments

• aftermath.jpg
    aftermath.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 674
Must admit it really is bad wording as it makes people think it will avoid any obstacle once rth is activated. What makes it worse is the initial rth height option becomes obsolete in our minds if we're get the impression it will avoid obstacles at all costs
I agree

As long as it was setup correctly, DJI will replace it under standard warranty, Sounds like the OAS didn't work.

That is GREAT to hear. You owe msinger a beer. :p I hope the damage is reasonably repairable.

Reactions: John Locke
I assume you had a local low quality copy of the incident (video) on your phone before you found it? Did it show any video when it crashed and regained the signal for a few seconds?

Also did it by any chance save the entire video, including the crash to the SD card successfully??

I assume you had a local low quality copy of the incident (video) on your phone before you found it? Did it show any video when it crashed and regained the signal for a few seconds?

Also did it by any chance save the entire video, including the crash to the SD card successfully??

I'm not sure where to find the vid on the iPad but I have the whole thing on video , I'm still experimenting with quality settings I discovered my computer needs upgrading and so does my monitor [emoji23] but I'm trying to upload it to YouTube and if it works I'll post a link , I seen it I hit a window on about the 10th floor

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor