How To Plug Directly into the Phantom, for dummies.... Mainly Me

Reaction score
Just wondering how exactly you hook into the Phantom 3 directly, with the supplied cord and get whatever info off of it.? What info will I get from there? I am using a Iphone 5s and a Macbook Air. Any help would be great

You can plug a mini USB cord into the camera gimbal opposite the microSD card slot. Plug the other end into your pc and it will mount the card image on your pc. You can download the videos and stills off of the card.

You can plug a mini USB cord into the camera gimbal opposite the microSD card slot. Plug the other end into your pc and it will mount the card image on your pc. You can download the videos and stills off of the card.
Thanks. I got that part. I'm talking the connection just below the phantom logo...

Haven't done it yet in the Phantom 3 but in the 2v+ that's where you connect it to the computer to open the software and change naza mode and other customizable settings.

May not help but hope it does just a little.

Honestly, I don't think the micro USB connection on the front does much on the P3. I think you can use it to update the firmware on the controller (an alternative to just plugging the microSD card directly into the controller using an adapter). I don't know of any other uses for it.

Honestly, I don't think the micro USB connection on the front does much on the P3. I think you can use it to update the firmware on the controller (an alternative to just plugging the microSD card directly into the controller using an adapter). I don't know of any other uses for it.
I don't think so either, I have plugged into it , turned on the Phantom while its plugged into my computer, and nothing happens. I thought it would show up like a jump drive, but it didn't. So who knows.

If you plug your computer into the micro-USB connection on the front of the phantom, and then go into the app and enable flight record mode, you can get access to the onboard SD card which acts as a "black box" and can be used by DJI for post crash analysis. A few people have been able to decipher portions of the files, but they are generally worthless to anyone except DJI at the moment. The files are fairly large, roughly 20MB per minute of flight. and appear to contain all of the diagnostic and controller data for the entire length of time the P3 is turned on for.

TL;DR - there is nothing to gain by connecting directly to the P3 micro-USB connector, it only gains access to DJI proprietary "Black Box" data.

Reactions: Scradam
If you plug your computer into the micro-USB connection on the front of the phantom, and then go into the app and enable flight record mode, you can get access to the onboard SD card which acts as a "black box" and can be used by DJI for post crash analysis. A few people have been able to decipher portions of the files, but they are generally worthless to anyone except DJI at the moment. The files are fairly large, roughly 20MB per minute of flight. and appear to contain all of the diagnostic and controller data for the entire length of time the P3 is turned on for.

TL;DR - there is nothing to gain by connecting directly to the P3 micro-USB connector, it only gains access to DJI proprietary "Black Box" data.
Excellent!! You answered my question perfectly ! Thanks

Reactions: ctp
If you plug your computer into the micro-USB connection on the front of the phantom, and then go into the app and enable flight record mode, you can get access to the onboard SD card which acts as a "black box" and can be used by DJI for post crash analysis. A few people have been able to decipher portions of the files, but they are generally worthless to anyone except DJI at the moment. The files are fairly large, roughly 20MB per minute of flight. and appear to contain all of the diagnostic and controller data for the entire length of time the P3 is turned on for..

Use the Log File Viewer from https://www.mapsmadeeasy.com/log_viewer. Look for the .DAT file associated with the flight.

It will display a ground track of the flight, a graph of speed and altitude vs. time and a link to create a Google Earth .KML file.
Ron

Use the Log File Viewer from https://www.mapsmadeeasy.com/log_viewer. Look for the .DAT file associated with the flight.

It will display a ground track of the flight, a graph of speed and altitude vs. time and a link to create a Google Earth .KML file.
Ron

That's awesome! I really hope DJI lets them share the rest of the information they have discovered about the data in the file.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-16195-1-1.html - seems to be the primary thread, but so far produces less usable data than the .txt file data viewers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.