HOW TO: Optimize Apple device for the best DJI GO app performance

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
Here are some tips to help ensure the DJI GO app is able to run as smoothly as possible on your Apple device:

1) In the iOS Settings, turn on Airplane Mode if you do not need to access the Internet to download maps or stream to YouTube. If you're using a phone, this will also ensure that you're not interrupted by a phone call and/or text message as you're flying.

Note: For the P3S, you'll need to turn on Wi-Fi after turning on airplane mode -- since turning on airplane mode turns off Wi-Fi..

AppleEnableAirplaneMode.jpg

2) In the "General" --> "Usage" section of the iOS Settings, verify that you have at least 1GB of storage space available. If you're low on available storage space, uninstall apps that you're no longer using and/or remove all unneeded photos/videos from your device.

AppleGeneralUsage.jpg

AppleGeneralUsageAvailable.jpg

3) Shut down all apps that you're not actively using. To close running apps, double tap the Apple Home button and touch and flick the apps you'd like to close toward the top of the screen. Keep in mind that apps will always be running in the background after launched until you manually close them or restart your Apple device.

4) In the "General" --> "Background App Refresh" section of the iOS Settings, turn off the Background App Refresh feature. This will ensure that any running apps are not doing unnecessary work as you're flying in the DJI Pilot application.

AppleGeneralBackgroundRefresh.jpg

AppleTurnOffBackgroundRefresh.jpg

5) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, enable the "Enable Hardware Decode" setting. This will allow the Apple device's GPU to be used to decode the video stream -- as opposed to the slower method of decoding via software.

HardwareDecoding.PNG

6) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, enable the "Cache Map in the Background" setting. This setting must also be enabled before you're able to cache maps if you normally fly when disconnected from the Internet.

CacheMap.PNG

7) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, set the "Video Cache" setting to "Disabled" if you are not planning on using the DJI GO Director feature to create videos from your recorded video clips.

CacheVideo.PNG

8) If it's hot outside, it's best to remove your iPad from its case (if it's in one). It'll generate a lot of heat while you're flying, so you want to make sure it's well ventilated.

Got any other tips to add? Please share them below :)

Note: Check out this knowledgebase article for more tips:
Install DJI GO on an Apple Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide)

Last edited:
Good tip! Thanks for sharing :)

A while ago on a hot afternoon, live view stream on my iPad air was glitchy and not usable at all. Turning off video cache on pilot app solved the problem!

Thanks for posting this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GolfPro8888
Although no.7 is a good idea,I am not recommend switch off the video cache,it is because you can keep the Video record when your phantom3 cannot come back or fly away automatically,in order to send it for DJI follow

Although no.7 is a good idea,I am not recommend switch off the video cache,it is because you can keep the Video record when your phantom3 cannot come back or fly away automatically,in order to send it for DJI follow
Any replies to this?
Is this statement accurate ?

Having just the video is not going to be enough to get a replacement from DJI. They are going to want the flight data. If you're worried about a fly away, then you'll definitely want to pick up a tracker -- like the Trackimo GPS tracker.

Last edited:
Here are some tips to help ensure the DJI Pilot app is able to run as smoothly as possible on your Apple device:

1) In the iOS Settings, turn on Airplane Mode if you do not need to access the Internet to download maps or stream to YouTube. If you're using a phone, this will also ensure that you're not interrupted by a phone call and/or text message as you're flying.

View attachment 25214

2) In the "General" --> "Usage" section of the iOS Settings, verify that you have at least 1GB of storage space available. If you're low on available storage space, uninstall apps that you're no longer using and/or remove all unneeded photos/videos from your device.

View attachment 25215

View attachment 25216

3) Shut down all apps that you're not actively using. To close running apps, double tap the Apple Home button and touch and flick the apps you'd like to close toward the top of the screen. Keep in mind that apps will always be running in the background after launched until you manually close them or restart your Apple device.

4) In the "General" --> "Background App Refresh" section of the iOS Settings, turn off the Background App Refresh feature. This will ensure that any running apps are not doing unnecessary work as you're flying in the DJI Pilot application.

View attachment 25217

View attachment 25218

5) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI Pilot app, enable the "Enable Hardware Decode" setting. This will allow the Apple device's GPU to be used to decode the video stream -- as opposed to the slower method of decoding via software.

View attachment 25220

6) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI Pilot app, enable the "Cache Map in the Background" setting. This setting must also be enabled before you're able to cache maps if you normally fly when disconnected from the Internet.

View attachment 25221

7) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI Pilot app, set the "Video Cache" setting to "Disabled" if you are not planning on using the DJI Pilot Director feature to create videos from your recorded video clips.

View attachment 25222

Got any other tips to add? Please share them below :)
I thought that prior guidance from DJI reps was to NOT enable hardware decode with A8 processors due to the risk of random reboots. The A8 works well on its own without using the GPU. Are you saying that the guidance is now to use it with A8 processors?

Last edited:
I thought that prior guidance from DJI reps was to NOT enable hardware decode with A8 processors due to the risk of random reboots. The A8 works well on its own without using the GPU. Are you saying that the guidance is now to use it with A8 processors?
Oso, I am using hardware acceleration as a test, the iPad Air 2 definitely runs cooler with it on. I haven't had any reboots so far but I am only about 9 flights in with it on. If I start getting reboots I will turn it back off. I do all of my practice flights with the prop guards on as I can see the bird out to 2000' so have LOS in case of a reboot.

Reactions: koviatt and Oso
I thought that prior guidance from DJI reps was to NOT enable hardware decode with A8 processors
Tahoe Ed said to enable it here.

Last edited:
Thanks. I checked out the link and it does appear that he means to have it enabled with an A8, but then he says the other processors don't need it enabled which sort of adds confusion.

I recall seeing that thread a while back, but thought back then that he meant the option was added for the A8 so that it could be disabled to help with the known issue of random reboots. Disabling was a way to avoid that happening. When I read it today it seemed to be the opposite. My bad I guess. I was so sure that A8 was off, A7 and below was on. Sorry.

In any event, I have flown with it both enabled and disabled using an Air 2, and didn't really notice a difference. No reboots for me, but @Kman has seen at least one reboot. I think I will continue to keep it disabled for now.

I flew in 90+ degrees today twice and only had glitches twice so I'm keeping it on from now on (thought I had read mini 2 leave it off). Will have to test out the map cache once I get my mini 2 w 64gb and LTE

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic