HOW TO: Optimize Apple device for the best DJI GO app performance

I tried with Ipad Air 16 gb wifi/lte and problem was stuttering live viewing on screen. Maybe some setups could help ? Any Ideas ?
As I said before, with the same iPad i was able to get rid of glitches when it was hot out there by disabling video cache. Btw I haven't touched hardware decode settings yet so it's in default setting

Reactions: #BirdDog
For what it is worth here is what Dji told me to do to try. (reinstalling the firmware sounds impossible from the feedback I have received):

Please see below some general troubleshooting steps for 'lagging' and video issues on mobile devices:

Go to HD frequency at the top of the app.

Go to image transmission settings
And change it from Auto to custom and choose any channel from 13 to 20
If you are using a phone, turn off wifi,
also put in airplane mode. Think of any app
or hardware that may be causing interference.

Screen Recorders and other apps running at
the same time can cause this type of interference.

Uninstall and re-install the firmware update

Or finally there may be compatibility issues with the device Phantom 3 LAGGING AND No FPV

Go to HD frequency at the top of the app.

Go to image transmission settings
And change it from Auto to custom and choose any channel from 13 to 20
If you are using a phone, turn off wifi,
also put in airplane mode. Think of any app
or hardware that may be causing interference.

Screen Recorders and other apps running at
the same time can cause this type of interference.

Uninstall and re-install the firmware update

Or finally there may be Compatibility issues with
with the device the customer is using i.e. the type of settings"in the
device" or the video card in the phantom unit.

Non-visual live feed image, i.e. a blank screen that appears instead of a camera feed.
Reason: Certain chip pins on the SD card are not connecting properly tothe circuit causing the camera to start up abnormally, making the screen turn black.
Solution: Remove the SD card and re-install it tightly.
Further solution: The camera startup process is being refined to take into account possible connectivity issues with the SD card. If necessary, DJI will repair affected units as quickly as possible.

Increased lag and screen flicker.
Reason: The DJI Pilot app is extremely complex, causing it to place highdemands on your mobile device’s processor and power consumption. This is especially true of three functions.
a) Live feed, location map and Flight Route Recording all draw on processing power.
b) When activated, the Video Editor automatically transcodes your live feed and creates your video in real time using your phone’s processor
c) When the remote controller is connected to an iOS device, your iOS device will specifically use a Central Processing Unit (CPU) core to deal with data authentication computation.
All of these functions increase the power consumption of your mobile device, in turn causing its temperature to increase. Most devices will lower processing speed when a temperature threshold is reached, slowing down the app causing lag and flicker.

Suggested solution:
a) Activate hardware decoding on your mobile device in the DJI Pilot app to reduce demands on your mobile device’s CPU.
b) Choose a lower code rate under Image Transmission Quality as smaller files decode more efficiently.
c) Shut down any unused application programs, or activate “Flight Mode”
d) Keep your mobile device in a cool place whenever possible and keep it out of direct sunlight when flying outdoors.

Further solution:
We will continue to optimize the DJI Pilot app, increasing computation efficiency and lowering power consumption to ensure that it always runs smoothly

Flickering screen and/or a blank screen during flying.
Reason: When the Phantom is flying at an extended distance, the angle of the antennas is essential to maintain a strong signal.
Solution: Refer to the user manual and adjust the antenna angle. i.e. the type of settings on the device or the video card in the Phantom unit.

DJI Customer Service North America

Reactions: GodFear17
What is the procedure for caching maps? I'd like to hear the steps some of you do to accomplish this.

Thanks.

What is the procedure for caching maps? I'd like to hear the steps some of you do to accomplish this.

Thanks.
I go to the map in the app while connected to wifi and zoom in on and all around the area I will be flying. The cache is supposed to be good for 30 days but I have had it last much less. Hope this helps.

I have an iPad Air 2 wifi only and use my cell phone as a hotspot to get my maps. Seems to work well for me. I also enable hardware decode. Thanks for the thread; definitely never thought of manually closing all apps and reboot. Much appreciated.

Should I enable hardware decoding when using iPhone 6 Plus? Also, maybe slightly off topic, can someone show me examples of transmitter radio antenna angles while flying? I did see in the manual that you basically keep them perpendicular and that has kind of been working for me so far, but I have not gone very far away just yet. Thanks!

Anyone tested latest IOS 9 beta 3 and DJI apps ?
I've not gotten on the iOS9 beta solely because I'm not going to risk an incompatibility with the Pilot app, until it goes public and DJI blesses it/releases a Pilot update that states iOS9 compatibility...not worth it to me. Beta is Beta for a reason.

I go to the map in the app while connected to wifi and zoom in on and all around the area I will be flying. The cache is supposed to be good for 30 days but I have had it last much less. Hope this helps.
Is that it? just go to map in app or is there something else? Iv tried that then when I went to use it I could not find it?
I have the Air 2 wifi and cell(but we go were we dont have cell

I thought that prior guidance from DJI reps was to NOT enable hardware decode with A8 processors due to the risk of random reboots. The A8 works well on its own without using the GPU. Are you saying that the guidance is now to use it with A8 processors?

I use iPad Mini 3. Although I have read, with quite some frequency from A8 chip users, that the referenced settings shown here tend to reboot in those using A8.

I also would like to add

Is that it? just go to map in app or is there something else? Iv tried that then when I went to use it I could not find it?
All I ever do is from home on wifi zoomed all the way in on the location and serounding on the app. I then close all open apps and restart the iPad. At location I disable wifi and don't have cellular. I turn compleatly off my cell phone so as not to interfere with the pad. In your case I would also turn off the pad cell. Let me know if this helps you.

what about A7 processors? i have an ipad mini with retina. are there any problem related to hardware decode? and could not find how to change video transmission quality. Any idea?

I noticed recently some annoying stuttering/freezing on the live view. I've now applied the recommended settings and will fly it tomorrow. Will definitely report here. Thanks for the instructions.

I notice the same sort of stuttering when I am under or nearly under power wires.

Sent from my PT beating heart

Although no.7 is a good idea,I am not recommend switch off the video cache,it is because you can keep the Video record when your phantom3 cannot come back or fly away automatically,in order to send it for DJI follow
I did turn video recording studio on, but why its not recording to my ipad ?!?!! Any tips

Try Rule #6 in very first post: Turn on background

Try using #6 rule in the very first post: Cache Map in the Background. I realize this is a late answer but I did not see any answer to your question.

All I ever do is from home on wifi zoomed all the way in on the location and serounding on the app. I then close all open apps and restart the iPad. At location I disable wifi and don't have cellular. I turn compleatly off my cell phone so as not to interfere with the pad. In your case I would also turn off the pad cell. Let me know if this helps you.
Thank You,I havent been to the area yet to try it out but I will

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20