HOW TO: Optimize Apple device for the best DJI GO app performance

Here are some tips to help ensure the DJI GO app is able to run as smoothly as possible on your Apple device:

1) In the iOS Settings, turn on Airplane Mode if you do not need to access the Internet to download maps or stream to YouTube. If you're using a phone, this will also ensure that you're not interrupted by a phone call and/or text message as you're flying.

View attachment 25214

2) In the "General" --> "Usage" section of the iOS Settings, verify that you have at least 1GB of storage space available. If you're low on available storage space, uninstall apps that you're no longer using and/or remove all unneeded photos/videos from your device.

View attachment 25215

View attachment 25216

3) Shut down all apps that you're not actively using. To close running apps, double tap the Apple Home button and touch and flick the apps you'd like to close toward the top of the screen. Keep in mind that apps will always be running in the background after launched until you manually close them or restart your Apple device.

4) In the "General" --> "Background App Refresh" section of the iOS Settings, turn off the Background App Refresh feature. This will ensure that any running apps are not doing unnecessary work as you're flying in the DJI Pilot application.

View attachment 25217

View attachment 25218

5) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, enable the "Enable Hardware Decode" setting. This will allow the Apple device's GPU to be used to decode the video stream -- as opposed to the slower method of decoding via software.

View attachment 25220

6) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, enable the "Cache Map in the Background" setting. This setting must also be enabled before you're able to cache maps if you normally fly when disconnected from the Internet.

View attachment 25221

7) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, set the "Video Cache" setting to "Disabled" if you are not planning on using the DJI GO Director feature to create videos from your recorded video clips.

View attachment 25222

Got any other tips to add? Please share them below :)
Hi there, I have a P2V+ and and ipad mini, will this app work on my mini with the P2V+?

A lot of advice about turning on airplane mode. On the I Pads (I have the Mini 3 with 4g) doesn't that disable locations services also (GPS)? If so, how are you able to set a new Home Point if you have moved from the original starting HP, for instance launching from a boat, then traveling across the water a great distance while your in flight? Simply a made up scenario, as I haven't done this. Thanks

Honest that one of the best help topic i ever read, its amazing make the app work like champ , thank you

Great list! Thanks so much. I tried all of these settings and still getting 4 seconds of delay on my iPad Mini 2 and the FPV is pretty much unusable!
Airplane mode on, Hardware Decode On, Cache disabled, App Refresh off, Low bit rate, updated firmware, updated iOS, what can I do?!!!

Any recommendations?! It's been going on for 2 weeks now.

Great list! Thanks so much. I tried all of these settings and still getting 4 seconds of delay on my iPad Mini 2 and the FPV is pretty much unusable!
Airplane mode on, Hardware Decode On, Cache disabled, App Refresh off, Low bit rate, updated firmware, updated iOS, what can I do?!!!

Any recommendations?! It's been going on for 2 weeks now.

I have one location that is always bad but it seems to be localized to that one. I have also done all the steps. Have you updated to the new version of the app and firmware? I did yesterday and had great flights. Can't wait to set waypoints but I have not found any tutorials yet. Any one know of good waypoints tutorials?

I have one location that is always bad but it seems to be localized to that one. I have also done all the steps. Have you updated to the new version of the app and firmware? I did yesterday and had great flights. Can't wait to set waypoints but I have not found any tutorials yet. Any one know of good waypoints tutorials?
Hmm, I guess I've only been to a couple locations lately. Maybe I just have 2 bad locales... I hope so :( Usually your iPad Mini 2 works okay though? For waypoint tutorial, check out:
if you can handle the kid whining in the background haha.

Hmm, I guess I've only been to a couple locations lately. Maybe I just have 2 bad locales... I hope so :( Usually your iPad Mini 2 works okay though? For waypoint tutorial, check out:
if you can handle the kid whining in the background haha.
My iPad mini 2 is wifi only but yes it works fine. The only problem I have is the maps I cash at home. Sometimes they get wiped out in far less than 30 days. Thanks for the tutorial.

My iPad mini 2 is wifi only but yes it works fine. The only problem I have is the maps I cash at home. Sometimes they get wiped out in far less than 30 days. Thanks for the tutorial.
Thanks a lot for your reply. Definitely helps me out. Cheers.

I go to the map in the app while connected to wifi and zoom in on and all around the area I will be flying. The cache is supposed to be good for 30 days but I have had it last much less. Hope this helps.

Thanks for info, this was what I was looking for. So after you zoom in on all these places you will be flying, do you want the "Cache Map in the background" enabled or disabled?

Last couple times I have been flying I have had no maps showing up...Not sure why.

Thanks

Thanks for info, this was what I was looking for. So after you zoom in on all these places you will be flying, do you want the "Cache Map in the background" enabled or disabled?

Last couple times I have been flying I have had no maps showing up...Not sure why.

Thanks
I have have done it both ways but would recommend to cash maps in background. Also don't reboot and forget to recash the maps. Hope this helps.

Reactions: spin2win
Think I just answered my own question, zoom in on maps you want and leave "Cach Map In the background" Disabled. Then when you get to your destination, maps are already to go.

Thanks

Reactions: jryser
I have have done it both ways but would recommend to cash maps in background. Also don't reboot and forget to recash the maps. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much. Guess I didn't have it correct at all. So cache maps at home before going out, leave cache maps in background enabled and the reboot info makes all the sense in the world. That is why I didn't have any maps!

Thanks again!

Any consensus on if the IOS 9 issues can be resolved? What exactly are the issues?

Thanks,
Aaron

A lot of advice about turning on airplane mode. On the I Pads (I have the Mini 3 with 4g) doesn't that disable locations services also (GPS)? If so, how are you able to set a new Home Point if you have moved from the original starting HP, for instance launching from a boat, then traveling across the water a great distance while your in flight? Simply a made up scenario, as I haven't done this. Thanks
Because the Phantom does not rely on your devices GPS. It uses its own internal GPS to determine location.
Your TX (Remote) also has its own GPS receiver built into it.
Any GPS in your tablet is surplus to requirements if running the DJI Go app.

Think I just answered my own question, zoom in on maps you want and leave "Cach Map In the background" Disabled. Then when you get to your destination, maps are already to go.

Thanks
Awesome! I had never learned how to do it and felt pretty stupid about it. Now I know what to do!! Thank u!!

Sent from my PT beating heart

Nice guide and I do not dispute any of it as it all makes logical sense. I do wonder how much of it is really necessary.

I fly with an iPad Air (1st version)
I regularly leave 4-5 apps on
I never turn on airplane mode
I never restart before flying
I leave background refresh on
I've never turned in hardware decode (not saying this is better but my lag is negligible so my logic is, if it ain't broke don't fix it)

It's the cellular model and I have flown both when the map is downloaded from GPS and near my house where it's downloaded via wifi.

I've never had the app crash (I did have it loose video signal when it claimed full bars a couple of times but both were with a perticular app version and it's not happened since updating which makes me think that was a software bug). I've never had a "fly-away" or lost control, I've not experienced shortened range (though I'm not regularly pushing it to the limit)

Now this MAY be luck, and I MAY come crawling back with my tail between my legs later but what I'm trying to say is your P3 is not going to decide to hurtle towards a bunch of nuns while spontaneously bursting into flames and opening a worm-hole to hell if you do not follow all this every flight. At the end of the day none of this is mentioned in the manual and (you would like to assume) safety is DJI's top priority (even if it's because it affects their profit rather than for moral reasons)

Stop stressing, use comon sense, JUST FLY

Reactions: Newgmole

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1