How to get higher altitudes than 500m?

Sounds like you are stuck with the old fashioned way
.......hike up the mountain with a camera or buy a pro quad that you can override. However the point of the limitation is to stop idiots flying above the leagal limits, as a previous contributor said you don't want to meet a P3/4 at 1000 ft while flying a light aircraft.
As Shure as God made little green apples, the idiots out there would do this ( how many Phantoms or similar will be sold to kids this Christmas?)

Reactions: Philltayl
You are absolutely right about baromatic pressure, but i hope you are not comparing a Phantom, flying at an altitude a normal plane only reaches during landing or take-off, with an aircraft? Not to speak about the technical difference between the baromatic sensor in a Phanthom or an aircraft? In case, if you look at what can be achieved by the Phantom, the stability horizontally and vertically during hovering in winds, all thanks to the accuracy of gps, nowadays even used in landplotting.

Anyway, cheers and have nice weekend!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sounds like you are stuck with the old fashioned way
.......hike up the mountain with a camera or buy a pro quad that you can override. However the point of the limitation is to stop idiots flying above the leagal limits, as a previous contributor said you don't want to meet a P3/4 at 1000 ft while flying a light aircraft.
As Shure as God made little green apples, the idiots out there would do this ( how many Phantoms or similar will be sold to kids this Christmas?)
There's still plenty of light aircraft flying below 500 meters, if I remember here in the states aircraft can be as low as 150 meters (500') under normal flight. That's why there's a 120 meter (400') limit that UAV are to keep under.

120m is about 400 ft and yes, we do fly that low over hills/mountains on the odd occasion :)
Philltayl, should you be flying a real aircraft below 400 feet above the ground? I was understanding that the guidelines for real aircraft is 500 feet above the ground except for landing, airports or emergency. That guideline will keep both real aircraft and RC aircraft safe from each other. Could you please let us know what your real aircraft rules are with respect to height above the ground outside my exceptions above. Of course if I hear a real aircraft, I avoid them immediately, and I never fly over 400 feet above the ground even at 13,000 feet in Colorado.
Thanks
Joe
KC7GHT

You are absolutely right about baromatic pressure, but i hope you are not comparing a Phantom, flying at an altitude a normal plane only reaches during landing or take-off, with an aircraft? Not to speak about the technical difference between the baromatic sensor in a Phanthom or an aircraft? In case, if you look at what can be achieved by the Phantom, the stability horizontally and vertically during hovering in winds, all thanks to the accuracy of gps, nowadays even used in landplotting.

Anyway, cheers and have nice weekend!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes the P3 and the other 'hobby' UAV's are really smart bits of kit........but light aircraft do fly at 1000ft AGL all the time hence the 400ft limit. As I have said before 'I do not want to find one at 1500ft while flying my C172......:)

Reactions: George_Sav
Philltayl, should you be flying a real aircraft below 400 feet above the ground? I was understanding that the guidelines for real aircraft is 500 feet above the ground except for landing, airports or emergency. That guideline will keep both real aircraft and RC aircraft safe from each other. Could you please let us know what your real aircraft rules are with respect to height above the ground outside my exceptions above. Of course if I hear a real aircraft, I avoid them immediately, and I never fly over 400 feet above the ground even at 13,000 feet in Colorado.
Thanks
Joe
KC7GHT

Joe. The rule is 500ft from people, structures not AGL we can fly down to 10ft in open farmland/sea/ desert etc.

BTW . My C172 has a service ceiling of about 12000ft so I won't be where you are.....LOL

Last edited:
Yes the P3 and the other 'hobby' UAV's are really smart bits of kit........but light aircraft do fly at 1000ft AGL all the time hence the 400ft limit. As I have said before 'I do not want to find one at 1500ft while flying my C172......:)
I think we are getting off track a bit.... The question was how to fly a drone following terrain at a legal height from sea level to the top of a mountain.
With the current Phantom firmware and software, I believe that this may not be feasible, the question I would like to suggest, what if you went to the top of the mountain and flew down to sea level!!
Assuming that prior to flying you calibrated a RTH at the base of the mountain, you could fly at 200 meters or 300 ft all the way down....

Reactions: Mobilegroomer
There's no negative altitude restriction.
It's possible to create a scenario where you exceed the range of the Barometer (though I do not know what that is) and the reading freezes or stops decreasing, but that is purely academic.

I've logged many many thousands of hours legally flying helicopters at 300' AGL in many countries. In the United States when flying under FAR Part 91 helicopters have no minimum required altitude as long as you don't endanger life or property below. If flying helicopters under FAR Part 135 as a Commercial Air Carrier you must stay at 300' or more. I normally was most comfortable always flying at 300' as it was a very comfortable height to autorotate from in case of a forced landing and it "used" to keep me below small aircraft. My only concern "then" was with hang gliders. Some areas such as Los Angeles now have restrictions requiring helicopters to fly along FAA approved corridors mostly for noise abatement. Times change!

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi,

I often start my flights at sealevel, and want to go up to about 700-800 meters elevation to get a look at the top of the mountains.

I know that its not allowed to go higher than 120 meters above the ground, and that is not what i want either. I just wanna go from sealevel to around 700m in los, to look on top of the mountains , still at the legal elevation limit .

The 500m max elevation is very limiting here in Norway.

Live in Norway too. It is possible to bypass the limit through the RTH function. Search on Youtube and you find it. Would not recommend it though...

Live in Norway too. It is possible to bypass the limit through the RTH function. Search on Youtube and you find it. Would not recommend it though...

Not any more.

Think you're wrong there, baromatic sensor will not override a gps signal.
I think you might have misquoted me. I was not referring to the barometric sensor.

Is motor Stop enough?

Might it require Power cycle???
I just tested this today. After landing, stopping the motors, and restarting them, both the altitude and home point were reset.

There ya' go.

Motor restart is enough.

Bravo!

Is motor Stop enough?

Might it require Power cycle???
Motor stop is not enough.
I landed box that was only 6 feet higher than my takeoff point and could not take back off even after stopping the motors. Power had to be cycled.

So you could fly to 500m, stop the motors in mid air and then restart them and go a further 500m up. Anyone want to try that? I'll watch the video :eek:)

Reactions: RodPad
Hi,

I often start my flights at sealevel, and want to go up to about 700-800 meters elevation to get a look at the top of the mountains.

I know that its not allowed to go higher than 120 meters above the ground, and that is not what i want either. I just wanna go from sealevel to around 700m in los, to look on top of the mountains , still at the legal elevation limit .

I'm not sure about Norway, but here in the U.S. it may be a bit different. Here is one Phantom Pilots interpretation, (which I believe correct) of the FAA rules.

Tips for litchi

Check it out. Does Norway have an equivalent to our FAA? Thanks.

Hi,

I have phantom 3 pro with can fly over 500m altitude, and i wan to sell it to person who want fly over mountain

Fly Galway up the mountain. Land. Reset. Take off and the barometer might be reset? Or does the barometer only reset on power down/up?

Reactions: mdowney58

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl