How to get higher altitudes than 500m?

Did they institute a sanity cross check between the pressure and gps altitude when recording the home point / altitude at motor start time? What indication is there if that is tried?

I do recall flying / motor start when a home point was NOT recorded due to weak gps signals.

GPS altitude is very low resolution in that dimension. 10's of meters.

No sanity to be gained there.

Oh yes,the quality of gps altitude data to be considered. There is never any doubt about that.

What I'm saying is that a sanity check would be to see if the gps 'roughly' agreed with the baro reading. A reasonable correlation test. If the barometer data is giving 3,000 ft MSL (yes I know the data display is relative to startup) and the gps is saying 10 ft then something is amiss.

But back on topic: Anyone knows how DJI has dis-allowed faking out the baro reading on startup? Just curious from an engineering standpoint.

I found this video

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Author claims that "i was 1km. i can do that by when it reaches its altitude limit, set it into return to home mode but not directly above the point of takeoff, then it can go higher than 500 meters"

dont know if latest firmware versions fixed that

Reactions: hexagon
Nope. It could be achieved by locating a Phantom that has an ancient version of the firmware though. I don't recall the exact version. It was one of the first few released.

Reactions: hexagon
One way - though impractical in most places - would be land at a known safe spot higher up - and restart.
Have you tried this?

your home point and altitude are gong to be reset at the higher point
This is the part I'm wondering about. I haven't tried it either, but I'm thinking neither will be reset after landing and taking off again.

Is motor Stop enough?

Might it require Power cycle???

Is motor Stop enough?

Might it require Power cycle???
Yes, I would think it would need a restart (power cycle) and would work. Could be tested from the ground and land on the roof of your house. Need to clean the gutters anyway, will see if weather holds out this weekend. :rolleyes:

Rod

Resetting the home point would only reset the latitude and longitude location of the home point.
Think you're wrong there, baromatic sensor will not override a gps signal. Not only UAV's developped, also satelites and gps receivers. For as far as i understood baromatic sensor jumps in when no reliable gps signal is received, or is switched off. Same for the "compass", yes there is a small electronic compass taking over when gps is not present.
But the accuracy of that tiny compass is nothing compared with a good gps reception, it's for emergency only.
Such an electronic compass is worth nothing in an urban environment with huge steel and concrete structures, a compensating course -and rudder- detector is missing, like there is in vessels and (commercial) airplanes.
Groundlevel is set on zero at startingpoint (causing many crashes already!!) If you start at 200 mtr and let the UAV
climb another 200 mtrs you are actually at 400 mtrs, but flightdata will show 200 mtrs altitude, i know that for shure!
And if you think about it when you look at the flightdata at your screen it's logic; otherwise it should read two values,
Altitude above sealevel and altitude above, or below startingpoint. Tell me, a guy living in the Nepalese mountens receives his Phantom from DHL. How should his Phantom know what sealevel is?

It's a good thing that manutacturers keep an eye on safety, but there should be a limit to what we accept.
We all know we are not allowed to fly in the dark, but does that mean that a lightsensor should be installed on next models, or are we able to see ourselves that the sun is going under.......Next thing is a speedlimiter in our cars, en the story ends with "WHAT??? did you smoke???, we're gonna hang you!!!!!!"
Yes, I would think it would need a restart (power cycle) and would work. Could be tested from the ground and land on the roof of your house. Need to clean the gutters anyway, will see if weather holds out this weekend. :rolleyes:

Rod

This is the part I'm wondering about. I haven't tried it either, but I'm thinking neither will be reset after landing and taking off again.

I found this video

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Author claims that "i was 1km. i can do that by when it reaches its altitude limit, set it into return to home mode but not directly above the point of takeoff, then it can go higher than 500 meters"

dont know if latest firmware versions fixed that

Sent from my GT-N8010 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Think you're wrong there, baromatic sensor will not override a gps signal. Not only UAV's developped, also satelites and gps receivers. For as far as i understood baromatic sensor jumps in when no reliable gps signal is received, or is switched off. Same for the "compass", yes there is a small electronic compass taking over when gps is not present.
But the accuracy of that tiny compass is nothing compared with a good gps reception, it's for emergency only.
Such an electronic compass is worth nothing in an urban environment with huge steel and concrete structures, a compensating course -and rudder- detector is missing, like there is in vessels and (commercial) airplanes.
Groundlevel is set on zero at startingpoint (causing many crashes already!!) If you start at 200 mtr and let the UAV
climb another 200 mtrs you are actually at 400 mtrs, but flightdata will show 200 mtrs altitude, i know that for shure!
And if you think about it when you look at the flightdata at your screen it's logic; otherwise it should read two values,
Altitude above sealevel and altitude above, or below startingpoint. Tell me, a guy living in the Nepalese mountens receives his Phantom from DHL. How should his Phantom know what sealevel is?

It's a good thing that manutacturers keep an eye on safety, but there should be a limit to what we accept.
We all know we are not allowed to fly in the dark, but does that mean that a lightsensor should be installed on next models, or are we able to see ourselves that the sun is going under.......Next thing is a speedlimiter in our cars, en the story ends with "WHAT??? did you smoke???, we're gonna hang you!!!!!!"

The compass and barometric sensor do in fact play a big part in the P3 setup. GPS altitude is based on the earth being a perfect sphere , not used in human carrying aircraft!!!!! Mean sea level is set by international pressure of 1013mb and that is used by all commercial aircraft flying in the 'airways'

Sent from my GT-N8010 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31