HOW TO: Fix unstable Phantom 3 remote controller tablet mount

I ordered one today as well.
Curious, does it contain only the screw, driver and metal bit, or does it come with the white plastic holder as well.
Local Great Hobbies, my fav. shop, quoted me $39 Canadian, which seems a bit excessive for a bit of aluminum... But if it's a safer and better secure fit, count me in, reluctantly.

RedHotPoker
No plastic holder. After all that.... and you ordered one. Guess we convinced you after all. Would hate to have to buy another tablet just because I wanted to save $38 dollars. Ehh

Last edited:
After much debate I purchased the Inspire tax holder because I was in fear that my iPad Air would wobble off the tx because of the flimsyness of the stock remote. I should have done this from the start because it is 100x better and I feel that the iPad is secure on the TX because the stem is full aluminum and not plastic.

Since you have this setup and are using an Air, hopefully you can answer this question.

I have tightened the base screw on my stock mount and have eliminated the wobble. However, the pivot joint for the ANGLE of the tablet, despite tightening with a screwdriver, is still too "flaccid" to hold my Air 2...if I tilt the tablet for better viewing, it sort of just flops back to the flat position due to the weight. I just bought a sunshade too, which will increase the weight on the holder, which will exacerbate the problem.

Does the Inspire holder stand up better to the weight of the Ipad when tilted on the mount. Does it still flop around at all?

Since you have this setup and are using an Air, hopefully you can answer this question.

I have tightened the base screw on my stock mount and have eliminated the wobble. However, the pivot joint for the ANGLE of the tablet, despite tightening with a screwdriver, is still too "flaccid" to hold my Air 2...if I tilt the tablet for better viewing, it sort of just flops back to the flat position due to the weight. I just bought a sunshade too, which will increase the weight on the holder, which will exacerbate the problem.

Does the Inspire holder stand up better to the weight of the Ipad when tilted on the mount. Does it still flop around at all?

Yes, with-out a doubt. I have same setup, except heavier Gen 1 Air.

The inspire holder is much more robust with the Air and makes you feel 100x more confident. I tried to tighten the stock holder as much as I could but nothing improved so I took the $30 plunge and it was well worth it. Also, I want to note I have the Padhat and it hardly adds any weight and does do anything to the performance of the inspire holder.

Last edited:
I believe that something worth doing is worth doing right. I have never fixed anything with the 'That's good enough' attitude. So I replaced my wobbly plastic (read cheap) mount with the metal Inspire one. I could care less about $30, but I do care about fixing a problem, perceived or not, the correct way. I did notice that the wobble got worse in the sun on a hot (85+) day, I assume the plastic became more flexible as the temp went up, and it will be over 100º here before long, hate for it to snap with the weight of the controller and tablet on it.

I agree with F6Rider, especially after flying my P3 in Bahrain in temps of 36*C (102*F) and it gets hotter out there......a lot hotter!!
I replaced the original 'wobbly' plastic item for the metal Inspire 1 and had no problems at all,.....including, flying the P3 in the heat!
It only cost $36.00......pocket money compared to the cost of a new Mini iPad!
image.jpg

AIRBORNE VIEWS.......Our Pleasure!

Last edited:
I couldn't get the tightness I wanted from the standard mount. It even seemed steadier when the silver thread was un-done, pushing the bracket away from the Tx.

So for £21 (in the UK) I bought the Inspire mount and feel much happier that my iPad Mini will remain where I put it and definitely doesn't wobble now.

Just my 2p's worth.

I couldn't get the tightness I wanted from the standard mount. It even seemed steadier when the silver thread was un-done, pushing the bracket away from the Tx.

So for £21 (in the UK) I bought the Inspire mount and feel much happier that my iPad Mini will remain where I put it and definitely doesn't wobble now.

Just my 2p's worth.

Where did you get one for £21? Happy to pay that for some added confidence!

Got any links to where I can buy the Inspire 1 holder for the cheapest in the U.S.?

The lowest I have found is $42 shipped in the U.S. Is that the best I can do?

***Edit***- it's 30 bucks shipped, no tax at BH Photo. That's a no-brainer!

Last edited:
Using a washer helps a bit.

I did something similar but used a nylon clear washer. No need to bend. Provides the friction to tighten the bolt. I can not see myself putting a metal washer on that white controller. I am sure it works fine.

Got any links to where I can buy the Inspire 1 holder for the cheapest in the U.S.?

The lowest I have found is $42 shipped in the U.S. Is that the best I can do?

***Edit***- it's 30 bucks shipped, no tax at BH Photo. That's a no-brainer!
That's where I ordered mine!

The OEM Phantom 3 tablet mount is made of plastic and is not able to support the weight of most tablets. It does securely hold them in place, but the tablet wobbles around on the remote controller at the point where the mount connects to the remote controller.

The simple fix is to install the Inspire 1 tablet mount. The holder is identical to the Phantom 3's holder. The difference is that the mount is made of metal -- so, it does not give like plastic does.

Here's a comparison:

Here are some photos showing the difference between the two tablet mounts:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is a simple upgrade that takes about 5 minutes to complete. Here are some places where the Inspire 1 tablet mount can be purchased:

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Code=as2&tag=ph079-20&linkId=LOHTSOF2NXMUIU7E
DJI: http://click.dji.com/dYWPYpkmHfbwlF7d
eBay: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...ep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

image.jpg
i got my part 45 the other day
its nice but i see nothing wrong with the stock one. the washer trick helps the best
the part was only $35 so why not. lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj