HOW TO: Fix unstable Phantom 3 remote controller tablet mount

The OEM Phantom 3 tablet mount is made of plastic and is not able to support the weight of most tablets. It does securely hold them in place, but the tablet wobbles around on the remote controller at the point where the mount connects to the remote controller.

The simple fix is to install the Inspire 1 tablet mount. The holder is identical to the Phantom 3's holder. The difference is that the mount is made of metal -- so, it does not give like plastic does.

Here's a comparison:

Here are some photos showing the difference between the two tablet mounts:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is a simple upgrade that takes about 5 minutes to complete. Here are some places where the Inspire 1 tablet mount can be purchased:

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Code=as2&tag=ph079-20&linkId=LOHTSOF2NXMUIU7E
DJI: http://click.dji.com/dYWPYpkmHfbwlF7d
eBay: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...ep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg[got one works great. 30 dollars was a good fix for flimsy plastic mount.
got one works great. 30 dollars was a good fix for flimsy plastic mount.

Last edited:
I have this problem with my Shield, which is wobbly even if the thing is tightened all the way. I think the size of the tablet has a lot to do with whether or not it will stay tightened, and I appreciate the OP for sharing his solution to the problem.

The people in here jumping down his throat for "misleading" people is hilarious. I am pretty sure most anyone here is old enough to weigh their options and do what they think is best for their situation. You have an alternative solution? Great! Post it and begone.

Another gadget that may be helpful at $6:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TACO-3DPOWE...437?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c543598d

I have this problem with my Shield, which is wobbly even if the thing is tightened all the way. I think the size of the tablet has a lot to do with whether or not it will stay tightened, and I appreciate the OP for sharing his solution to the problem.

The people in here jumping down his throat for "misleading" people is hilarious. I am pretty sure most anyone here is old enough to weigh their options and do what they think is best for their situation. You have an alternative solution? Great! Post it and begone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TACO-3DPOWE...437?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c543598d
Well, apparently enough people complained about the wobble that this guy thought of one solution, ah yes, free enterprise.

Well, apparently enough people complained about the wobble that this guy thought of one solution, ah yes, free enterprise.
Well i tightened it and have a 8.4" tablet on it with no wobble....oh and you're outdated stance on plastics is hilarious.....
maybe you're too old lol.....things have progressed immensely in the world of plastics FYI ! You're probably already in bed so read this in the morning.
My point was why call this thread a fix when non is offered....replacement would better explain this thread.....what i proposed and the other guy was an actual fix....meaning you use what you have without the need to purchase a new part...
i guess when you do an oil change you FIX the oil filter too....huh.....
Put all your panties back on....

The thumb tightening nut at the top of the mount gets loose and causes the mount to wobble. I took the mount off, put some blue loc tite on the threads and all is fixed.
Exactly. I did this today and what a difference with my iPad.

User Error......how many of You does it take to change a light bulb....Oh wait....i bet you pay someone to change it or better yet change the fixture and wiring too....I'll bet you've never heard the phrase "you're so smart!" from anyone not related. Stay in your lane Justin

The thumb tightening nut at the top of the mount gets loose and causes the mount to wobble. I took the mount off, put some blue loc tite on the threads and all is fixed.

to the plastic mount that is right ?

I just used some pliers to get it a little more tight and its fine. I don't plan on running a race with my ipad attached so I should be fine...

Reactions: louforgiveno
I don't post much here if at all but I can't get over how brutal some here have been towards MSINGER. It's simple, if it's something you feel you don't need or want, don't buy it. Quit viewing yourselves as sages with grandfatherly advice that will save us all money when you have a cheap make-do fix (re: McGiver) that'll do the job just as well until your McGivering sheers off causing you to lose and destroy a $350 tablet. Metal ALWAYS trumps plastic and no I don't own nor use this device. Ya, we're all entitled to our opinions and this being a forum, opinion away! But don't mistake his defense as being "snarky" when you're feigning objectivity.

Nice find Msinger. When mine breaks, I will upgrade to the inspire holder. I am glad you spent time researching and finding (alternative) solutions for us.

Reactions: FLRebel and dalebb
I just got my inspire mount and put it on my controller. There is no question in my mind that it is better than the plastic one. I tightened my plastic one down as much as I could and it was still wobbly.

Thumb tight on the front piece of the inspire mount and its rock solid.

To each their own. Personally, actually having both, I am happier with the inspire mount and I am not convinced that the same stability can be had with the plastic mount.

Reactions: clkilljoy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj