How to fix a vibrating / shaking / crazy P2V+ camera gimbal

Re: How to fix a vibrating / shaking / crazy P2V+ camera gim

Trazor said:
Wait, so with the D shaped shafts, the set screws go into the Round part of the D and not the flat part? That makes no sense.

Like I said, it's not a set screw. It goes through a screw-hole in the shaft. Therefore it's more secure to attach to the round part. The flat is only there to engage the potentiometer.

On another note, I think DJI really screwed up the design for the roll motor. They should have turned it the other way around just like the pitch motor is, with the large part of the shaft holding the rest of the gimbal, and the small part just attached to a silver magnet holder (like the other two).

Trazor said:
burlbark said:
It sounds like you have a good handle on things. I am that ebay guy. The screw needs to go into the round section of the shaft otherwise it will do the crazy chicken dance.

Wait, so with the D shaped shafts, the set screws go into the Round part of the D and not the flat part? That makes no sense.

The top shaft that is in the controller is the only one with a set screw and that goes on the flat.

The shaft running into the camera has the shouldered screw go into the rounded side of the shaft.

ave the same problem but on vertical arm. I would like know of the trimmer value in 0 position, i hope to solve the problem. In this moment the ribbon cable is broken (I'm waiting to receive from ATKDrone site). I tried to connect the gimbal without horizontal arm and camera only vertical arm if this no issue i want to calibrate the arm to check the trimmer adjustment

DJI P2V+ Owner with similar troubleshooting and these conclusions:
-Gimbal (not camera) became unresponsive (limp) after some interactions with hard landing that also included some ground snow enclosure.
-Gave time to dry, but that was not main problem.
-No shafts appear to be damaged or off calibration as the original post instructs on
-Tore down all components of gimbal and reassembled
-Get chicken dance and APP error messages of GIMBAL MOTOR ERROR or REMOVE GIMBAL CLAMP

My crazy theory:
-After a few tear downs and rebuilds, I believe there is some debris in the motor of the camera shaft motor...
-When gimbal is unresponsive, or trying to move, or chicken dancing - I can hear faint scratchy noises coming from this motor.

I have compressed air and contact cleaner to try tomorrow - as all mechanical, logical troubleshooting as followed in article seems to come up without result.

Unless an invisible cable damage I am out of ideas.

I had a crazy idea that I wonder if anyone has tried. For cases where the camera works but the gimbal won't stop jerking around, could you hook up a generic gimbal controller directly to the motors of the P2V+ gimbal? (I know about the guy who replaced the entire gimbal while keeping the camera; that's not what I'm talking about.) Could you still control the tilt from the app or transmitter?

Hello to All,
today i have measured the trimmer value of three motors from my gimbal.
Tilt motor -- 3.2KOhm in 0 position (camera side)
Roll motor -- 3.2 KOhm in 0 position (horizontal)
L motor -- 1.4KOhm (bad value) no change in any rotation.
I have found this trimmer by RS-ONLINE site http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/potenziometri/7703166P/
I want to try to change it , because I think that during the fall to the floor of my drone to land the trimmer was broken togheter the arm L (out of inclination).

Attachments

• R7703150-01.jpg
    R7703150-01.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,022
Reactions: reednoel4u

Trimmer model: ALPS RDC50 10KOhm

Attachments

• RDC50_D_91.GIF
    RDC50_D_91.GIF
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,190

Thanks for the potentiometer info!
Cheers,
Jim

The potentiometer is a ALPS RDC506.

Yes,
just to confirm, the P/N is ALPS RDC506002A.
Yesterday I have changed the trimmer from yaw control board, (and the ribbon flex cable after crash was broken) because in both direction (ccw & cw) did not changed the values.
Now no crazy dance the gimbal, but another issue found, I haven't feedback from tilt control. I not sure if I must to change the sensor. In any case the camera is working fine and i fixed the tilt arm with of the adhesive tape.

Great tutorial! This is exactly the problem I am having. Can you go into more detail on where to apply the glue and how to reassemble so that it sets correctly.
Do I need to take the motor off, or can I apply the glue to the exterior point where the rod comes through the housing, behind the camera.
If i need to take it apart, can you show how to do that.
The gimbal will operate perfectly for a while and then I will have to readjust the metal rod to make it level with the camera again, I have to take the rear plate off all the time to do that. It would be nice to not do that anymore. Sometimes when I tilt all the way up from the app, the gimbal will malfunction again.

Hmm, I also found my pitch motor potentiometer to be broken. Both the outer race has a crack as well as the contact for the inner race is cracked on either side.
Time to place an order with Mouser.

To remove the pot cover, I used those tweezers to pry the clip on one corner, then used my fingernail to keep that side up while lifting the other corner with the tweezers. The cover usually flies off, so be careful. I may try to repair this with conductive ink, but I don't hold out much hope for it.

It also helps to have a good 4x loupe and decent light.

Final note: the big IC has a grey corner. This is normal. All of them are like this. Not sure why.

Attachments

• pitch_motor_pot_s.jpg
    pitch_motor_pot_s.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 1,654
Reactions: reednoel4u

Dharl said:
Do I need to take the motor off, or can I apply the glue to the exterior point where the rod comes through the housing, behind the camera.
Try doing this first (applying glue to the outside point). Penetrating thread locker is suggested (like Loctite 290).
You can also try thin superglue if that's all you can find. It may hold for a while.

CityZen said:
Hmm, I also found my pitch motor potentiometer to be broken. Both the outer race has a crack as well as the contact for the inner race is cracked on either side.
Time to place an order with Mouser.

To remove the pot cover, I used those tweezers to pry the clip on one corner, then used my fingernail to keep that side up while lifting the other corner with the tweezers. The cover usually flies off, so be careful. I may try to repair this with conductive ink, but I don't hold out much hope for it.

It also helps to have a good 4x loupe and decent light.

Final note: the big IC has a grey corner. This is normal. All of them are like this. Not sure why.

Would something like this be of any help??
eBay item number: 251686087074
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251686087074

I have that, and tried it, but I think that the reason it didn't work for me is that the outer race is broken near the middle contact, and the wire glue soaked through enough to connect the outer race to the middle contact, which it's not supposed to. Or whatever the reason, it didn't work.

I have replaced the pot in question (Mouser ships fast!), and now my gimbal works again. One note is that the pot has to be really exactly centered when you solder it back, or else it will bind with the shaft enough to prevent the motor from turning.

CityZen said:
I have that, and tried it, but I think that the reason it didn't work for me is that the outer race is broken near the middle contact, and the wire glue soaked through enough to connect the outer race to the middle contact, which it's not supposed to. Or whatever the reason, it didn't work.

I have replaced the pot in question (Mouser ships fast!), and now my gimbal works again. One note is that the pot has to be really exactly centered when you solder it back, or else it will bind with the shaft enough to prevent the motor from turning.

The pot should have precise locator pins on the bottom of it. If you crashed hard enough to brake the pot you more than likely bent the motor shaft. To straighten the motor shaft you must heat it till cherry red and let it cool slowly. These are hardened shafts that will break if you dont anneal them first, ask me how I know...

I use a small hammer and a true flat surface and lightly tap the high side and then finish off with 320 to 800 grit spinning the shaft in a drill to clean it up. If they are not straight you will feel the bearings and the tension on them when you spin the shaft.

Yeah, the shaft is probably slightly bent. I found that if I tightened the screws that hold the overall motor down while the shaft was facing the right direction, then the binding would only occur when the shaft is in a position it can't normally get to (camera facing backwards).

Hi,

happy to have found this thread,

I have followed the repair advice post crash. Shafts straigthened and aligned properly. Ribbons ok. But I still have a dancing gimbal.

Could this damaged 'chip' be the cause, see photo attached of the camera motor with cap removed:

Attachments

• damaged_chip.jpg
    damaged_chip.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,975

yup, that is most likely your problem. i had the same problem with one of the clients gimbals doing the chicken dance and replaced almsot everything, both sensors, cable and still
did the dance until i noticed that same problem on one of the motors.

i have the pictures posted on my FB page. check it out if you want.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1488547618072392/

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl