How to fix a vibrating / shaking / crazy P2V+ camera gimbal

Hi, I hope somebody see this.

I have a dancing gimbal problema from my first P2VP, I bought it, and in the second fly, go away, I found it 3 hours later, and send it to DJI, they change the Camera and gimbal, but I notice one of the antenas of the 5.8 reciver was broken, they don´t change it, I have to replace it, but again, after a couple of flights, it went down, and the camera start to dance, I change the boards from my other phantom, and stop the dancing, but no gimbal tilt I can manage, I have the problema with the tilt board, I think I have to change the resistor, but why the gimbal does not tilt?

Thanks for your time.

Check the condition of the rotary sensor.
Remove the plastic cover my carefully prying it off and check for any cracks or damage.
This is a what a good sensor looks like -

good sensor.jpg

(note - no cracks, smooth surface)

These are 2 examples of faulty sensors
faulty sensor.jpg
faulty sensor2.jpg

Second image courtesy of Jeremy @ USdronerepair.com

I ordered excess when I found mine was faulty. If anyone needs one you can contact me

Last edited:
It appears that after a crash or even a modest hit the camera may get life of its own. As shown in the link bellow, the gimbal starts to vibrate and shake with no apparent reason and the remote has no control over it. Sometimes it will get fixed by itself and you can fly, but you should expect it to go wild again and need to fix the gimbal.

Phantom 2 Vision + Camera gimbal has life of its own

What may look like control / firmware issue is a simple mechanical failure of the gimbal's X axle which upon good side impact will get loose from its base. As shown in image A below, the axle marked green should be firmly snagged in the yellow marked bore.

Once the axle is released from its base, the only thing that holds the motor in place is the round magnet of the brushless motor. It will hold it with enough strength and you may have no clue that it is broken. It also may work for some time after the impact but once the axle turns freely it will misalign the camera position and the trimmer-potentiometer located on the other side of the motor will not read correct physical position of the camera.

Image B shows a post impact trimmer and its misalignment with the camera on the X-axle. The trimmer is the feedback mechanism of the micro-controller which reads the trimmer resistance based on its angular position (like a volume button) and assumes the camera is aligned with it. When the reading is extreme to one of the ends, the controller tries to fix it and starts bouncing quite radically.

The proper alignment of the trimmer is shown in the image C, note the blue lines, the trimmer flat notch should be parallel with the flat edge of the PCB. Don’t worry about slight misalignment, the gimbal can work with that.

To fix the problem I remounted the axle using extreme strength treads locker (Loctite or similar) and clamped the motor in place overnight to allow the bond to fully cure.
Not knowing in advance what I am dealing with, I took the camera off the quad but you don’t have to, you can do the work leaving the gimbal attached to the body. If you do take it apart, you can use plastic wire fasteners instead of the anti-drop pins which you have to cut during disassembly.

A test flight I did today gave very good results, no evidence of the problem. However, I am not sure how long this will hold, the axle might be released again and I will have to repeat the fix. This is why I used soft Loctite and not hard metal bonding formulas that will make it difficult to remove residues in due time.

As for DJI, it seems to me they are aware of the problem but will not tell you how to fix it, they will however ask you t ship it back.
Look at the sneaky little bastard......happened bouncing in a case, in my 4wd off road. How cool's the photo........don't ask me, just a phone
gimbal.JPG
......:)

My vision 2 plus has the same crazy dancing as in the video:
Phantom 2 Vision + Camera gimbal has life of its own

I can hear the motor spinning more then its moving. i took it all apart no damage found. The only thing I dont understand is where do you put the glue? if in the center of the bearing, i see there is a bit oil there... How will it bond with it? can someone please post me picture?

And what is the best glue to use?

Last edited:
after searching online, i found where how to glue it... Still no luck the camera is going crazy... What else can cause this?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj