HOW TO: Adjust settings & remote controller for smoother flying

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
Below are some easy modifications you can make to allow for smoother flight and more precise control.

1) Adjust the Gain and EXP settings in the "Main Controller Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" section of DJI GO.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

2) Decrease the value of the Gimbal Pitch EXP in the "Gimbal Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" section of DJI GO to slow down the gimbal tilt speed.

DJI-GO-Gimbal-Pitch-EXP.jpg

3)
Increase the value of the Gimbal Pitch Smoothness setting in the "Gimbal Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" section of DJI GO to make the gimbal come to a slow stop after you're finished tilting it.

DJI-GO-Gimbal-Pitch-Smoothness.jpg

4) Increase the height of your remote controller sticks to allow for more precise movements. For best results, unscrew the tops of the sticks completely -- and, then screw them on three full turns.

5) Install PhantomKnobs from Bestem Aerial to allow for a better grip on the remote controller sticks.

KuLujws.jpg

Got any other tips to add? Please share them below :)

Last edited:
Haha... yes, perhaps they should rename their product :D

Reactions: Rod Carnochan77
Below are some easy modifications you can make to allow for smoother flight and more precise control.

1) Make the following adjustments in the "MC Settings" --> "Gain & Expo Tuning" section of the DJI Pilot application.

View attachment 21663

2) Increase the height of your remote controller sticks to allow for more precise movements. For best results, unscrew the tops of the sticks completely -- and, then screw them on three full turns.

3) Install PhantomKnobs from Bestem Aerial to allow for a better grip on the remote controller sticks.

http://aerial.bestemusa.com/search.asp?keyword=phantomknob

BT-PHANTOM-KNOB__28_zpsjtv2ari8.jpg

Thank you, what do the settings on figure 1 represent? How do they affect flight control?

TacAir42, the three settings at the top are for throttle, rudder, and forward/backward control. They are cut off in the screenshot above.

Guys, I would like to change the slope of the three curves on the "Gain and expo tuning" (see the first picture of this thread), but everytime I modify them (with aircraft connected to the RC), when I leave the page they are reverted back to their initial values (0,40). Any clues?
I'm on pilot app 1.2.0 and P3A firmware 1.2.8.
Thanks

Guys, I would like to change the slope of the three curves on the "Gain and expo tuning" (see the first picture of this thread), but everytime I modify them (with aircraft connected to the RC), when I leave the page they are reverted back to their initial values (0,40). Any clues?
I'm on pilot app 1.2.0 and P3A firmware 1.2.8.
Thanks
i struggled with it a few times, as well. you have to hit enter once you change the number.

Reactions: Andrea

1) Make the following adjustments in the "MC Settings" --> "Gain & Expo Tuning" section of the DJI Pilot application.

View attachment 21663

View attachment 25211

2) Slow down the gimbal tilt speed by adjusting the gimbal pitch in the "Gimbal Param Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" section of the DJI Pilot application.

View attachment 25213

3)
Increase the height of your remote controller sticks to allow for more precise movements. For best results, unscrew the tops of the sticks completely -- and, then screw them on three full turns.

4) Install PhantomKnobs from Bestem Aerial to allow for a better grip on the remote controller sticks.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_li_qf_sp_sr_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&index=aps&keywords=bestem phantom knob&linkCode=as2&tag=ph079-20&linkId=ORLMWJDCVLVHPLMS
Bestem: Welcome to Bestem Aerial - Fly Original.

BT-PHANTOM-KNOB__28_zpsjtv2ari8.jpg

So i set these two to 88% or is better to set the break to 75

So i set these two to 88% or is better to set the break to 75
Experiment and see what works best for you. It'll take longer for your Phantom to come to a complete stop when the brake is lower. Make sure you test it while above all trees and other obstacles.

I've noticed there's been some updates with recent firmware upgraded that add additional options. I've used the settings above with great result. Is there way to update this thread with some of the updated settings?

I can update it. Which settings are you referring to?

Hey im British and "getting a better grip" on a "phantom Knob" just isnt right on any level!

great tips tho TY
IN FIGURE 1 > My P3 Standard has an additional setting > Yaw End Point. It is Maxed at 150 > Where should it be?
IN FIGURE 2 > My Gain Pitch limit is at 30 Degrees moving up > Turned On ... and another setting here > Gimbal Pitch Smooth 0 - 30 > is set at 5
Gimbal Pitch Limit is 30 Degrees Moving Up, just a switch to Turn On, no settings for degrees.
What in the world did they re-invent all that stuff for? Where should I set these on My Phantom 3 Standard?

I can update it. Which settings are you referring to?
In figure 2, my P3S Pitch limit is at 30 instead of 15 like your photo shows. I would like to limit that to 15 like previous ... your thoughts sir?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers