How do most people store/manage their video?

Reaction score
I notice when many people share their video it is via a Dropbox link. Is this where most people keep their video? It seems kind of hard to organize/manage in a file system. Are there any good apps that make it easy to store, organize, and share? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: GraceIsTheKey
You can store it on Youtube, just choose "Unlisted" :) But, you have no assurance that it will stay forever in any way.

Reactions: TBuggy and Dekan
Google offers 1 TB for like 10 bucks a month. If you have office 365 I think for a while it came with a terabyte? I second external HDs, just make sure you don't lose it. At the end of the day 1 TB goes a pretty long way to be honest.

I notice when many people share their video it is via a Dropbox link. Is this where most people keep their video? It seems kind of hard to organize/manage in a file system. Are there any good apps that make it easy to store, organize, and share? Thanks in advance!

As a videographer who sells stock video footage, I have a four-tier tower attached to my computer that is used to store my footage whether it's aerial or DSLR footage and at the end of the year I transfer and store it all on a 4TB drive. It's rare that I fill up a 4TB hard drive even if it used to store two years worth of footage. I also backup my main drive at least once a week.

Reactions: Dekan
As a videographer who sells stock video footage, I have a four-tier tower attached to my computer that is used to store my footage whether it's aerial or DSLR footage and at the end of the year I transfer and store it all on a 4TB drive. It's rare that I fill up a 4TB hard drive even if it used to store two years worth of footage. I also backup my main drive at least once a week.

where are you selling your footage?
i got tired of the 4 month review queue at videohive :(

responding the original question, here is my filesystem, which i try to keep it as simple as possible:

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 12.40.28.png

-per year
--cl stands for "clients"
--dji-XX-project name (this are personal projects)

i have an external 2tb hd where i copy all photos/videos from the sd card. then i copy all files again to a temporary folder in my computer, where i review each file and do a first filtering, i delete all choppy clips, black photos, etc. once those files are filtered i copy them to the above folder.

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 12.44.25.png

then i do a sencond filtering when editting the photos in lightroom or videos in premier. from my hard drive i delete all files im not using. for example for a photo session i shoot about 100 pictures but i only keep 20-25 (remember i have a backup)

finally at the end of the year i copy the whole year directory to a new hd as a second backup, only for editted files :)

pretty simple :)

Reactions: BeeLab
I go on the assumption that what ever drive I'm using is going to fail. They will all fail, it's just a matter of when and how many good backups that you have. I back my pictures and videos to a folder on a 2 TB hard drive. There is a folder for each year, and each year has a folder for each month. For me, that's the easiest way for me to find things. Special occasions get their own folder.

Because I'm paranoid, I go with redundant backups. About once a week or so, I just file copy that folder to a portable hard drive. I have a batch file that uses robocopy so only the new or modified files are copied. I have a few of those drives and I swap them in and out. I also have a QNAP Server with a bunch of drives in a RAID 5 array. That backs up all my important files. I also have Google Photos backup my images & videos. There's a loss of quality, but it's a secondary backup to me and I can access the images from any device.

I also have an account on SmugMug. I don't store everything there, but it's where I copy the stuff that I would share online. This way I'm covered if any two sources for my files fails.

One thing to remember: if you backup your files and your backup is in the same location as the originals, you could lose the backup to whatever takes out your source. Water or fire damage, theft, lighnting strike, etc. You want at least one copy of your important files off site, whether it's in the cloud or on a portable drive at your in-laws.

responding the original question, here is my filesystem, which i try to keep it as simple as possible:

View attachment 85257
-per year

i have an external 2tb hd where i copy all photos/videos from the sd card. then i copy all files again to a temporary folder in my computer, where i review each file and do a first filtering, i delete all choppy clips, black photos, etc. once those files are filtered i copy them to the above folder.

then i do a sencond filtering when editting the photos in lightroom or videos in premier. from my hard drive i delete all files im not using. for example for a photo session i shoot about 100 pictures but i only keep 20-25 (remember i have a backup)

finally at the end of the year i copy the whole year directory to a new hd as a second backup, only for editted files :)

At the end of the year, I will go through all my footage and delete the junk but other than that I save everything as you never know what someone might want that isn't online.

I go on the assumption that what ever drive I'm using is going to fail. They will all fail, it's just a matter of when and how many good backups that you have. I back my pictures and videos to a folder on a 2 TB hard drive. There is a folder for each year, and each year has a folder for each month. For me, that's the easiest way for me to find things. Special occasions get their own folder.

Because I'm paranoid, I go with redundant backups. About once a week or so, I just file copy that folder to a portable hard drive. I have a batch file that uses robocopy so only the new or modified files are copied. I have a few of those drives and I swap them in and out. I also have a QNAP Server with a bunch of drives in a RAID 5 array. That backs up all my important files. I also have Google Photos backup my images & videos. There's a loss of quality, but it's a secondary backup to me and I can access the images from any device.

I also have an account on SmugMug. I don't store everything there, but it's where I copy the stuff that I would share online. This way I'm covered if any two sources for my files fails.

One thing to remember: if you backup your files and your backup is in the same location as the originals, you could lose the backup to whatever takes out your source. Water or fire damage, theft, lighnting strike, etc. You want at least one copy of your important files off site, whether it's in the cloud or on a portable drive at your in-laws.

In all the years I have been selling my footage I've only had one drive go bad and it was my main drive. That is why I now back up that drive as there is allot of information I cannot afford to loose such as key codes and programs and it should be done daily instead of weekly or when ever I feel like it.

In all the years I have been selling my footage I've only had one drive go bad and it was my main drive. That is why I now back up that drive as there is allot of information I cannot afford to loose such as key codes and programs and it should be done daily instead of weekly or when ever I feel like it.
You've been lucky. I've had a number of drives go south on me. The QNAP server does the daily backup, that's automatic. The rest are manual.

You've been lucky. I've had a number of drives go south on me. The QNAP server does the daily backup, that's automatic. The rest are manual.

Yes, I would say I've been very lucky as I have been using computers since the mid 80's and saving footage since the late 90's.

Hi Dekan, you might want to try out the Dragonfly app (Home). It keeps your video backed up in the cloud so that you don't need to buy drives or take up space on your computer. You can transfer video from the drone to the phone in the field after a flight (it then uploads passively via wifi the next time you connect) or use the web based uploader to upload in batch. It also automatically organizes your video on the map and with galleries and makes it easy to share.

View attachment 85257
-per year

Wow! I don't think I'm ready for that level yet!

Hi Dekan, you might want to try out the Dragonfly app (Home). It keeps your video backed up in the cloud so that you don't need to buy drives or take up space on your computer. You can transfer video from the drone to the phone in the field after a flight (it then uploads passively via wifi the next time you connect) or use the web based uploader to upload in batch. It also automatically organizes your video on the map and with galleries and makes it easy to share.

Cool. I'll check it out. I've been saving to my computer so far but it is filling up.

Cool. I'll check it out. I've been saving to my computer so far but it is filling up.

To answer your previous question about selling stock footage I do not upload nor sell the aerial footage. All my sales come from footage taken with a DSLR camera over the years.

The suggestion by chrismorace about the Dradonfly app it doesn't come free nor does the cloud storage.

There is one really big thing to remember with cloud hosting services (I'm not talking about Dragonfly, just in general terms). If their business model fails and they go out of business or they pivot to a new model, you may have little to no time to download your files from the cloud before they shut down that service.

You are not buying storage space, you are renting it. The company could stop renting it to you in the future. It does happen (Pogoplug, copy.com, Cubby, to name a few). I'm not saying that would happen with Dragonfly, but I would suggest not putting all of your eggs in one basket.

if you have an amazon prime account you are elegible to upload as many pictures as you want and extend that up to 5 family members :)

There is one really big thing to remember with cloud hosting services (I'm not talking about Dragonfly, just in general terms). If their business model fails and they go out of business or they pivot to a new model, you may have little to no time to download your files from the cloud before they shut down that service.

You are not buying storage space, you are renting it. The company could stop renting it to you in the future. It does happen (Pogoplug, copy.com, Cubby, to name a few). I'm not saying that would happen with Dragonfly, but I would suggest not putting all of your eggs in one basket.

That is a good point, anotherlab, and I think people should be cautious. In our Terms of Service we specify that we will notify you and give you 30 days to download your content if your account is terminated for any reason. In way of comparison, Dropbox only states that they will give "reasonable advance notice". We (the founders) have all been executives at public companies like Facebook, Jive, HP, and the 49ers and have decades of experience making customers happy. We understand that people trusting their videos with us is a big deal and we want to do the right thing. I hope you'll give us a try. :)

if you have an amazon prime account you are elegible to upload as many pictures as you want and extend that up to 5 family members :)

Thanks @chapsrlz ! I checked it out and the Amazon Prime is only for photos (which you said). Mostly I take video with my drone and they only give 5GB free. :-( Still, if I put all of my photos there it might save me some space!

@chrismorace downloaded your app, but I'm at work. I will try it and let you know how it goes.

Reactions: chrismorace

Try this app called Droneware on Amazon.com for storing drone and cell phone photos and video. Plots any pics & videos with GPS data in the EXIF header on a map allowing visual search as well as display. Free Trail for 90 days after that $5/month of $50/year.

https://www.amazon.com/Store-Manage-Share-Drone-Photos/dp/B073QYVJB9

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20