Reaction score
Okay, help me out here, please. I'm planning a road trip out west this coming December and Page, AZ is on my list of places to stop - specifically Horseshoe Bend. (been there a couple of times before, but not with a quadcopter).
Horseshoe Bend is not a part of any national park, and I thought it was part of the Navajo Nation, but I recently read a post (on another site) by someone who stated that the sign at the trailhead for Horseshoe Bend says drones are "illegal".

I see tons of drone videos from there, all within the last year. I've searched google until my eyes feel like they're going to pop out and I can't find anything that says anything about the legality of drones at Horseshoe Bend. I've search for flight restricted areas near there on a couple of different sites, and it's not within any NFZ.

Anyone been there recently enough to say for sure?

I bought this quadcopter to expand on my photography, but the more I read about restrictions here and restrictions there, the more I begin to think that all I bought was an expensive paper weight.

Last edited:
Okay, help me out here, please. I'm planning a road trip out west this coming December and Page, AZ is on my list of places to stop - specifically Horseshoe Bend. (been there a couple of times before, but not with a quadcopter).
Horseshoe Bend is not a part of any national park, and I thought it was part of the Navajo Nation, but I recently read a post (on another site) by someone who stated that the sign at the trailhead for Horseshoe Bend says drones are "illegal".

I see tons of drone videos from there, all within the last year. I've searched google until my eyes feel like they're going to pop out and I can't find anything that says anything about the legality of drones at Horseshoe Bend. I've search for flight restricted areas near there on a couple of different sites, and it's not within any NFZ.

Anyone been there recently enough to say for sure?

I bought this quadcopter to expand on my photography, but the more I read about restrictions here and restrictions there, the more I begin to think that all I bought was an expensive paper weight.

Have you looked at their website?

Laws & Policies - Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

"Glen Canyon National Recreation Area is managed much like any other national park site. For the most part, the same management policies, regulations, and laws apply at Glen Canyon as all other national park areas."

Want to guess what it states on the National Park website?

When I was at Canyonlands about a week ago I heard someone flying a drone right at Grand View Point. Does not make it at all legal.

It is a NFZ.

You can't fly in ANY National Parks, National Recreation Areas, or National Monuments.

Horseshoe Bend is in the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. Completely off limits to drones.

My son and I recently stopped in Zion for a couple days. We did the narrows the first day and angles landing bright and early the next

As we got to the summit at angles landing maybe 45 min after sunrise there was a guy from Europe with a P3P flying around.

I didn't mind but there were others that get kinda mad. I told him it was illegal in the park but he didn't really care much. I also gave him my email and asked to see the video. Nothing in my inbox yet!

Not saying you should go ahead but if you're there. That's a choice you have to make and know the pros and cons if you get caught

I'd still love to see the video he got!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

My son and I recently stopped in Zion for a couple days. We did the narrows the first day and angles landing bright and early the next

When I tell people about Angles Landing I tell them.... it's not Disney! You take a wrong step (on either side) and it's a 300' drop to the bottom.

I didn't mind but there were others that get kinda mad.

Yup. Some people here would say that they should be able to fly around as it won't bother people. Granted, some will take offense just because they are pre-programmed to hate drones but part of the enjoyment is that you can take in 100% of the natural beauty.

Not saying you should go ahead but if you're there. That's a choice you have to make and know the pros and cons if you get caught

Con in a National Park is that someone will probably tell a Ranger and Rangers are not going to pull any punches.

If a person wants to fly and does not bother anyone, I say best of luck.

Reactions: NorthcountySD
If someone wants to hike and enjoy the quite and beauty of our national parks,
I say don't fly.
Just because someone may want another FB video etc,etc.. they should respect the laws
and consider others.
Take the memories home in your head.

I say don't fly.
Just because someone may want another FB video etc,etc.. they should respect the laws
and consider others.
Or take a boat load of photos and video
... from the ground.

Have you looked at their website?

Laws & Policies - Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

"Glen Canyon National Recreation Area is managed much like any other national park site. For the most part, the same management policies, regulations, and laws apply at Glen Canyon as all other national park areas."

Want to guess what it states on the National Park website?

When I was at Canyonlands about a week ago I heard someone flying a drone right at Grand View Point. Does not make it at all legal.

Thanks, tcope,

I did ultimately find that site. The part where it says: "For the most part, the same management policies, regulations and laws apply ..." is still rather ambiguous. But if, as I read elsewhere, it's posted on the trailhead, then that's that.

I think the NPS should revisit their no-drone policy, with maybe a fee-permit policy. You apply and pay for a permit at a ranger station, visitor's center or online, state exactly when and where you'll be flying your drone, stay within specific limits ... the NPS makes more money, and everyone's happy.

I can hope ...

I say don't fly.
and consider others.

I don't have FB, and I don't do selfies. I'm a pro photographer who does weddings and events, mostly. I also do a lot of nature and landscape photos. The P4 is a tool to expand on that.

It just seems to me more and more that people are trying to make every cubic meter of airspace everywhere off limits to drones, and on the other side of the equation you have DJI and other companies pushing these products as something you can use to capture all this scenic beauty - which is mostly off limits to drones.

It's very frustrating ...

Reactions: NorthcountySD
Or take a boat load of photos and video
... from the ground.

Yep ... I do that already. My library consists of thousands of photos from all over the country - from York, Maine, to Seattle, WA. I bought the P4 for the purpose of expanding on that library.

I just did a drive last month from the Interdrone conference in Vegas to Grand Canyon to Horseshoe Bend/Antelope Canyon, and then finally to Zion. Prior to the trip I did extensive research on areas where I COULD fly legally. I used Google Maps along with the B4UFly and Airmap apps.

Between Grand Canyon National Park and Horseshoe, about 8 miles east of the GC National Park boundary on Hwy 64, there are scenic spots overlooking what is called the Little Colorado River Gorge. It is like a mini version of the Grand Canyon. It was already dark out, so I was not able to fly there, but it is a perfectly legal spot if you want to check it out.

South of Page, AZ and south of Glen Canyon National Recreation Area on US-89 there's plenty of nice red/orange rock/desert to fly over. You just have to make sure you are far enough away from Page Municipal Airport or call/notify them otherwise.

Going from Page, AZ into Utah, on the way to Zion, on US-89 there are many beautiful mountainous/desert areas and rock formations where you can just stop on the side of the road and do some flying/filming. Thank goodness the wife was cool with all the stopping I did knowing that I would make the footage part of a nice little vacation video.

Reactions: 1man1drone_
I just did a drive last month from the Interdrone conference in Vegas to Grand Canyon to Horseshoe Bend/Antelope Canyon, and then finally to Zion. Prior to the trip I did extensive research on areas where I COULD fly legally. I used Google Maps along with the B4UFly and Airmap apps.

Between Grand Canyon National Park and Horseshoe, about 8 miles east of the GC National Park boundary on Hwy 64, there are scenic spots overlooking what is called the Little Colorado River Gorge. It is like a mini version of the Grand Canyon. It was already dark out, so I was not able to fly there, but it is a perfectly legal spot if you want to check it out.

South of Page, AZ and south of Glen Canyon National Recreation Area on US-89 there's plenty of nice red/orange rock/desert to fly over. You just have to make sure you are far enough away from Page Municipal Airport or call/notify them otherwise.

Going from Page, AZ into Utah, on the way to Zion, on US-89 there are many beautiful mountainous/desert areas and rock formations where you can just stop on the side of the road and do some flying/filming. Thank goodness the wife was cool with all the stopping I did knowing that I would make the footage part of a nice little vacation video.

I've been through there a few times and I know the area you mean. I think I may roll the dice, since it will be December and there won't be many people, and see if I can get one or two good sunset shots of Horseshoe Bend.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

When I tell people about Angles Landing I tell them.... it's not Disney! You take a wrong step (on either side) and it's a 300' drop to the bottom.

Yup. Some people here would say that they should be able to fly around as it won't bother people. Granted, some will take offense just because they are pre-programmed to hate drones but part of the enjoyment is that you can take in 100% of the natural beauty.

Con in a National Park is that someone will probably tell a Ranger and Rangers are not going to pull any punches.

If a person wants to fly and does not bother anyone, I say best of luck.
Not that it would make any difference if you fell, but Angels Landing is 1488 feet to the bottom, either way you still make a splat.

flew over Horseshoe bend this weekend. People were more curious and excited than anything. several people came up to me to ask if they could look at my ipad. I asked people around me if they needed me to move it when I was close to the ledge and they appreciated that. I made it to horseshoe just after sunset so the prime picture taking time was over. I flew well above where anyone would see it in shots and brought it down quickly afterwards. also got some great footage at 4corners monument and some cool driving shots near Albuquerque

Thanks, tcope,

I did ultimately find that site. The part where it says: "For the most part, the same management policies, regulations and laws apply ..." is still rather ambiguous. But if, as I read elsewhere, it's posted on the trailhead, then that's that.

I think the NPS should revisit their no-drone policy, with maybe a fee-permit policy. You apply and pay for a permit at a ranger station, visitor's center or online, state exactly when and where you'll be flying your drone, stay within specific limits ... the NPS makes more money, and everyone's happy.

I can hope ...
That is a great idea. Or maybe apply for a 107 exemption?

That's what I plan to do this friday.. get there at sunrise and get out b4 the regulars get there.

That is a great idea. Or maybe apply for a 107 exemption?
A Part 107 FAA certification doesn't help with national park access to fly. But if the NPS would consider one weekend a month to allow Part 107 CERT holders to fly safely from designated areas, that would be a fair compromise. However, I'm not holding my breath on that notion.

Last edited:
My understanding is that current regulations prohibit launching, landing, or operating a drone from within a National Park, Rec Area, etc... It does not specifically prohibit flying a drone over a park. In most cases, this would be irrelevant since most park features are far away from park borders. However, in the case of Horseshoe Bend, the rim is only about 1,500' from the border of the Recreation Area. So you could technically take off, land, and operate the drone from outside the park and still fly over the bend.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic