Hobbyists flying within 5 mi of airport?

Reaction score
Hey guys. I searched and found some old topics, but wanted to check for newer info.

From what I can tell, it seems like hobbyists are only required to notify any relevant ATC's (and be respectful if they say no and don't fly) while professionals are required to file authorization paperwork.

I ask because pretty much all of our city capital and any interesting things nearby are within the airport ring. I really want to shoot some of it from the air this weekend.

Can I call the ATC and discuss flying or is it strictly a no no?

Reactions: chrismatthewssr
I assume from your question that you want to fly under Part 107. Within the 5 nm radius surface Class C airspace around KCRW you would need to apply for FAA authorization or waiver through the web portal. The FAA has instructed ATC not to authorize locally.

EDIT: OK - the thread title does mean you want to fly Part 101, but then you answered your own question. Notify the airport. Provided that you stay low and away from the airport that should be fine, subject to all other principles of responsible flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: awinn17 and BigAl07
As your title states, hobbyist I wouldn't. Charleston is right under the airport. I know the airport is on top of the mountain. I don't think they would appreciate you flying around the "real gold"of the capital dome. Scratch it and you are in big trouble. They are writing up drone laws right now. Try Kanawha Falls, it's safer.

Reactions: drone dude#
Best thing to do mate, launch your drone as far away as possible from the airport. It says that you need to be 5 miles away, with me personally I like to add an extra mile and be 6 miles away. You can explore a lot of things in that extra mile.

Reactions: drone dude#
Best thing to do mate, launch your drone as far away as possible from the airport. It says that you need to be 5 miles away, with me personally I like to add an extra mile and be 6 miles away. You can explore a lot of things in that extra mile.

You'd think... But it's mostly trees and personal property and around here about 150% of people own shotguns and I expect won't like my $1500 drone passing by overhead. Our capitol is beautiful in the sun, during sunrise, sunset, pretty much all the time. We have stuff on the river, tons of bridges, a bunch of great things all within airport circles. Mostly, I'm an interested person looking to do things safely and responsibly. If I can establish a good rapport with the airport and capitol, it could be good for everyone. It only takes one person to screw it up for all of us but nobody hears about the responsible people. I'd rather work with them with some mutually agreed upon boundaries/rules than have all drone operators banned from what amounts to every populated area in WV. Seriously it's all trees here.

I'm just interested in trying and potentially establishing a rapport with the airport to help myself and future responsible operators. WV could use the "views" (pun for YouTube views). Of course if they say no I'm not going to fly. Though I would later seek written authorization under Part 107.

Frankly, it's BS that this isn't easier to do. I hope the future has an automatic scheduler and it generates a notification and send it to the ATC and you print or screenshot your confirmation.

upload_2017-10-26_7-19-56.png

Wv. Is only 85% forest. They got a lot more strict on security at the Capital this year. Last year I walked in with my tripod and camera. No one was at the doors and I walk around and took pictures wherever I wanted. At the start of this year they checked everyone at the doors and no cameras are allowed. It’s the main government center in the state and the whole area is very crowded. The capital is so beautiful. The dome is higher than the US. Capital. The real gold and blue is is a great photo experience. Your previous posts said you like water videos. Still think Kanawha falls would be a possibility. Not too far out of town. Maybe catch the river boats farther down river. They are making laws that say no pictures of chemical, gas, electric, coal mines or really any industrial facilities. Don’t give up. If you have some good connections at the Capital maybe you can get permission in advance.

Update! Today I notified the ATC and flew around the Capitol without a problem!

I contacted them early in the morning (9:15 or so) and talked a bit just to get a feel for it. I stated my intention of flying as a hobbiests and asked if notification was ok or if I needed direct authorization from the FAA. He thought FAA, so I said thanks and that I'd look into it.

Looked into it by double checking their FAQ and it seems that it is a little confusing but only requires hobbiests to norify the ATC before a flight and even that they can't directly not allow you but if you fly with their objections you're accepting every risk.

So later about 1:15 I got ahold of them again and they bounced me around a few times (I heard "it's the drone guy again") but they eventually asked if I was commercial and I said no, hobby. I asked what they needed from me and they asked for location, time, my name, and contact number.

Overall I could tell they'd rather not deal with me (duh, they have important stuff to do and I'm a risk) but they worked with me and didn't object to me flying. I plan to do it again sometime in a week or two when the leaves are better. There's so much stuff to shoot in the area I'd like to get a written agreement so I don't have to call. But on the whole I think it was a positive step forward in ATC and drone pilot relations in the Charleston area :)
846f69a5cfc91b4db161f416419a73d0.jpg

86627680cd90245aa57b118fe4dacc43.jpg

e9d0e286b7ebce190ed968a7b6aec03b.jpg

Nice thanks for sharing!! Sometimes it does pay just to ask and be polite. I am a little surprised they didn't get you an aid to make sure you didn't wander into places you shouldn't go, or at least be interested enough to come watch.

I’m happy for you, but still have concerns. You have a zeal to get what you want. I hope you didn’t step on toes. Was the security at the capital notified? I hope so. I’m sure they would be nervous about a drone flying around without their knowing. It didn’t necessarily make for good relations as you described with the tower. You said,” Overall I could tell they'd rather not deal with me (duh, they have important stuff to do and I'm a risk) “ The people you were flying over, are in the middle of making drone laws in the state, The preliminary things on their list was no flying over power plants, oil facilities, industrial in general, hospitals, schools and government facilities.
After all that I would love to see your video. It is a beautiful building.

A couple hints about contacting the tower...
I fly part 107.
I always have all my information written out ahead of time like my coordinates (in decimal degrees, and degrees minutes seconds), distance and direction from the airport, when I intend to fly, Max height, my aircraft registration, phone number etc, so I can answer any question the tower has quickly. I also check flightaware.com to see what is going on at the airport to see if I can call at a time when they are not that busy. I try to be direct and concise to minimize the amount of their time that I take. They are always appreciative that I have my ducks in a row, and I am efficient.

I fly part 107.
I always have all my information written out ahead of time like my coordinates (in decimal degrees, and degrees minutes seconds), distance and direction from the airport, when I intend to fly, Max height, my aircraft registration, phone number etc, so I can answer any question the tower has quickly. I also check flightaware.com to see what is going on at the airport to see if I can call at a time when they are not that busy. I try to be direct and concise to minimize the amount of their time that I take. They are always appreciative that I have my ducks in a row, and I am efficient.

Are you contacting the tower just out of courtesy, or for some other reason? That's not required for Part 107 flights.

I fly part 107.
Yeah I had most of that stuff already. Most of the problem is that this area even though it's class C I don't think they experience much or any interaction with drone pilots. In a way it would be more efficient if they already knew what they needed but they spent some time figuring out how to handle it. Growing pains I guess. It should be easier the next time.

For what it's worth I did propose modifying my maximum elevation for safety. When they first asked and I said no more than 400' he seemed shocked. I said I can stay less if that's a safety concern and he said "yeah it's a safety concern that's on our (some technical term for takeoff and landing elevation area). They were mostly concerned about elevation. I'm happy to work with them so that we both end up in agreement- what concerns me is that I know most people don't know or don't care enough to do that and will give the rest of us a bad name. Like the guys who fly up thousands of feet for kicks...

Are you contacting the tower just out of courtesy, or for some other reason? That's not required for Part 107 flights.

I have a waiver for the class D airspace that my office is in, and notifying the tower is a requirement of the waiver. I fly in the office parking lot for training, maintenance and r and d.

I also notify smaller airports out of courtesy when I am within their airspace, especially if the orientation of the runway is in my direction. It is pretty obvious that my call is usually the first call they have Recieved about UAVs, but they are always appreciative.

Safety is paramount.

Reactions: awinn17
Yeah I had most of that stuff already. Most of the problem is that this area even though it's class C I don't think they experience much or any interaction with drone pilots. In a way it would be more efficient if they already knew what they needed but they spent some time figuring out how to handle it. Growing pains I guess. It should be easier the next time.

For what it's worth I did propose modifying my maximum elevation for safety. When they first asked and I said no more than 400' he seemed shocked. I said I can stay less if that's a safety concern and he said "yeah it's a safety concern that's on our (some technical term for takeoff and landing elevation area). They were mostly concerned about elevation. I'm happy to work with them so that we both end up in agreement- what concerns me is that I know most people don't know or don't care enough to do that and will give the rest of us a bad name. Like the guys who fly up thousands of feet for kicks...

If you are within their airspace, they probably want you to stay below 100 ft.

I have a waiver for the class D airspace that my office is in, and notifying the tower is a requirement of the waiver. I fly in the office parking lot for training, maintenance and r and d.

I also notify smaller airports out of courtesy when I am within their airspace, especially if the orientation of the runway is in my direction. It is pretty obvious that my call is usually the first call they have Recieved about UAVs, but they are always appreciative.

Safety is paramount.

Thanks. That clarifies the situation. The courtesy notification in those situations is a nice idea too

Hey guys. I searched and found some old topics, but wanted to check for newer info.

From what I can tell, it seems like hobbyists are only required to notify any relevant ATC's (and be respectful if they say no and don't fly) while professionals are required to file authorization paperwork.

I ask because pretty much all of our city capital and any interesting things nearby are within the airport ring. I really want to shoot some of it from the air this weekend.

Can I call the ATC and discuss flying or is it strictly a no no?

We licensed folks have to apply for a waiver. You can call ATC via the Airport General Manager. 90% of the Country's population is within 20 miles of an Airport so the 5 mile ring pretty much reaches out and touches most of us. LAANC is starting up as we speak with Airports joining on a weekly basis.

Yeah, I am affraid I am now very confused. I fly 107 and was under the impression the the 5 mile radius was for hobbiest and that 107 can fly anywhere that is Class G. ie. if you are in a close radius, but a sectional chart says that their controlled airspace is sfc to 600 AGL than yes, but if their airspace starts at 600 and goes to let's say 1200 then 0 to 400 AGL is class G regardles of airport proximity. Please tell me if I am mistaken as I routinely rely on sections more than DJI app proximity warnings

Last edited:
Yeah, I am affraid I am now very confused. I fly 107 and was under the impression the the 5 mile radius was for hobbiest and that 107 can fly anywhere that is Class G. ie. if you are in a close radius, but a sectional chart says that their controlled airspace is sfc to 600 AGL than yes, but if their airspace starts at 600 and goes to let's say 1200 then 0 to 400 AGL is class G regardles of airport proximity. Please tell me if I am mistaken as I routinely rely on sections more than DJI app proximity warnings

Correct. Under Part 107 there is no requirement to contact an airport if you are flying in Class G (uncontrolled) airspace).

Under Part 107, any controlled airspace requires an authorization or waiver from the FAA (via the web portal), and the only time that you would be required to contact an airport when flying in controlled airspace is if it were one of the conditions of the authorization or waiver.

The 5 mile radius is for everyone. If we (107) want to fly within the 5 mile radius we must go through the waiver process. That will soon change with the LAANC program which will give us instant authorization for certain heights within specific distances.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl