Flying drone in Barbados - NEW UPDATE - SEPTEMBER 2019

Reaction score
Just got back from a holiday in Barbados and actually legally got to fly my Pro Plus - but what a performance !!!
As people may be aware drones are more or less banned in Barbados. Only people on holidays can really fly them and you have to prove the drone leaves with you on the end of the stay.

It took many emails and much form filling ( you cannot actually get a licence unless you are physically there on holiday ! ) - you also cannot get the licence on line. You need to get a form downloaded on line from the Telecoms Dept - then fill that in and do a covering letter explaining what you are doing with the drone. - Then once on the island you take the completed forms to the Telecom building in Bridgetown ( Don't wear shorts as they wont let you in !! ) - you then pay $15 for the licence and wait about 1/2hr to get the ok. They then hopefully give you the licence and a receipt for your $15.
Then on leaving the island you have to find a customs man at the airport to prove you are taking the drone out of the island. In theory if you don't do this they won't let you leave !!!!
I eventually found an officer who really did not know what to do but we signed the paperwork and myself and the drone left the island !!
Be careful because if customs find your drone hidden when you arrive at the airport they could impound the drone until you have the relevant licence.
If you do decide to try flying without a licence be very careful as there is a large no fly zone around the airport and also on both the airport flight paths for landing and take offs. If you fly without a licence we did hear of the police arriving and telling you in no uncertain way to get it down !
Gather the drone ban on the island is hoped to be dropped in 2020 but don't hold your breath guys.!!!!

Fab filming once there but wow what a hassle !!!!

Reactions: clackey
Wow, what a hassle. Hope you at least got some good video of the island. I have a ham radio friend that vacationed there and had a similar story of getting his temporary ham license from the Telecom Dept. and related fees. You got off cheap! Thanks for the story.

Does the license have a termination date, or can you go back and fly on it again?

I have just recently bought a DJI Mavic Mini as this is my first drone and it was recommended for newbies. I am also flying to Barbados later this week, and have just discovered that my plan to take the drone on my holiday might not work out as i did not realise Barbados banned importing drones.
So much for dreaming to take some nice videos of the beaches and show to my grandmother back in Lithuania later :((
My only hope is to try and contact Telecomms department via email and explain to them that this particular model Mavic Mini is a small drone weighing 249 gramms and therefore does not require official registration with the CAA.
Alternatively, I will still bring the drone to Barbados and will apply for a license when I get there.

Of course each country can be different. When traveling to the Bahamas, I reached out directly to the BCAA (Bahamas Civil Aviation Authority) and explained what my plans were and what the process was for flying there. After answering a few questions, they sent me an authorization to fly during my time there with no issues at all.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl