Hobbyists flying within 5 mi of airport?

The 5 mile radius is for everyone. If we (107) want to fly within the 5 mile radius we must go through the waiver process. That will soon change with the LAANC program which will give us instant authorization for certain heights within specific distances.

Yup. To my point there are countless class D airports that are surrounded by Class G as close as 2 miles. That said I alway attempt to contact act or flight services when possible and so far have never received a no. That say I think it is a good practice that I will always follow, but I don't think it is a law. I'm I correct?

Yup. To my point there are countless class D airports that are surrounded by Class G as close as 2 miles. That said I alway attempt to contact act or flight services when possible and so far have never received a no. That say I think it is a good practice that I will always follow, but I don't think it is a law. I'm I correct?

I don't believe it is law but I will say that it is a good practise. It also proves to ATC that we are responsible pilots.

I don't believe it is law but I will say that it is a good practise. It also proves to ATC that we are responsible pilots.

Man, I COULD NOT AGREE MORE WITH THAT. To many careless lawbreakers out there making us all look bad, and quite frankly taking money out of all of our pockets!

I got permission the other day to fly around a lake and had to stay under 200ft. No problem, but the hills around me were at least 500ft. The air craft had to fly over them. Not complaining. Just funny.

The 5 mile radius is for everyone. If we (107) want to fly within the 5 mile radius we must go through the waiver process. That will soon change with the LAANC program which will give us instant authorization for certain heights within specific distances.

5 mile radius is ONLY for hobby flights. Part 107 have no "radius requirements". When flying under Part 107 you fly according to the airspace the aircraft is in PERIOD!

Keep in mind that that LAANC will also give instant DENIAL if the flight is in certain areas or not within predefined parameters. Just like the "Web Portal" requests are and will be denied in the LAANC process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez