Flying Near Airport with No LAANC

Reaction score
I think I know my answer, but just need to get my head wrapped around this to be clear.

I have a Real Estate job in Stuart, Florida KSUA that has a 0 ASL limit. Historically, before LAANC I've been able to call the airport and they've been pretty cool with it. However, this airport doesn't seem to participate in LAANC.

But, I know things have changed, so here are my questions.

1. Is it possible to get an Authorization at 0 ASL from FAA at all? If so, how exactly do I go about it. Time frame? Step by step how to anywhere?
2. If I call ATC and they give me verbal permission...would that be OK? Could I get in trouble?
3. Also, because it doesn't have LAANC, should I apply for a blanket authorization?

Also anyone local to the Treasure Coast that has experience in this area, I'd love to connect with and perhaps even hire as a VO if they already have authorization for that area.

I'm trying to do this right...it's just frustrating because this area used to be much easier to fly in.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I got permission near an airport here in Vero Beach by applying for a certificate of waiver. I don't remember if I went thru Airmap or Kittyhawk - I think it was one of those. I received the waiver in one day - I needed to tell what I was doing, when and how high I would fly, the coordinates, and for what purpose. Here is the contact info they emailed me -
1572362289294.png

They also sent a map verifying the area I was permitted to use. Hope this helps - [email protected]

Hi, Thanks! They got back to me on like the 2nd or 3rd business day with authorization! Just in time cause the Realtor was about to go with someone else. :) lol. Now I know the process better for next time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20