Hit return home it landed and crashed

RTH dont be afraid to abuse it. Learning how to use it , will make flying a lot more fun and make every flight more productive.

We use the Return Home Feature on just about every flight some time several times on each flight.
It is always best to press the big round button on the actual Controller for about 4 seconds until the RTH is triggered than let go of the button.
Remember you can still take control of the drone as its coming back, including the camera , which makes this such a great way to film the trip on the way back.
I have found that many times this is an easier way to capture a more detailed video of your subject.

You can avoid hitting the wrong screen touch by simply always training yourself to hit the Round button on the controller.
Its really easy to loose the orientation of your drone in flight so hitting that RTH button on the controller itself is perfect for getting that back, and than cancelling out of it.
Getting that orientation back on your drone is critical when time is running out , when panic is taking place, when the drone battery is low and you have to make good decisions.

Since we like to fly in extreme weather conditions, we get pushed around with the wind quite a-lot and we might push the RTH home button many times in a single flight to negotiate the change in direction and keep visual flight in the storm.

Once we mastered that RTH and all that it can be used for, flying became a lot more fun.

We shot this video last night, a low flying shot over the tree tops out to 2300 ft with visual and than on the way back engaged RTH for the ride back at 200 ft for the scenic flight taking some control of the height and camera angle .

We found that at 2300 ft with the Phantom Rain Wet Suit ,starts to loose visual sight with the Wet Suit slightly after so the RTH is mandatory for getting us back on track.
I have also included at snap shot of the drone for those might want to see the drone at 2300 ft ,, of course the video picture is not as clear as the naked eye.

View attachment 99368

Here is an example :

RTH can be a great cinematic tool. That's for sure.

I like the "Rainsuit" video. It takes a real Renaissance man to fly a drone in the rain on purpose. You get my vote.

Don't you find that the rain highly attenuates your 2.4 and/or 5.8GHz connection signal? I would think you would see greatly diminished range.

RTH can be a great cinematic tool. That's for sure.

I like the "Rainsuit" video. It takes a real Renaissance man to fly a drone in the rain on purpose. You get my vote.

Don't you find that the rain highly attenuates your 2.4 and/or 5.8GHz connection signal? I would think you would see greatly diminished range.

We have not found that Rain has no had any interference at all with the signal being that we never go any further than 2000 ft in the rain. Maybe if we went out past visual line of sight than we would determine that there was some signal interference but as of now even in the pouring rain we fly out about 2000 ft with no connection issues using either 2.4 or 5.8 Ghz

We do get the Wireless interference on both signals even when it does not rain at all and that warning we just ignore.

Flying in the Rain/ Snow is just a matter of being Equipped to fly in extreme weather and that is what the wet suit was designed for.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.20.15 PM.png

i am sick to my stomach over this. yes it was my stupidity hit wrong button.im sure its totaled. now i have 1500 drone thats junk
The DJI manual states any auto configuration can be overridden by the stick controls... just as it is with the autopilot and autoland (via the ILS/ radio altimeter) in a real passenger jet.

We have not found that Rain has no had any interference at all with the signal being that we never go any further than 2000 ft in the rain.

Very interesting. Good to know. Maybe because the rain is so porous and scattered it doesn't present a problem. Interesting.

Maybe if we went out past visual line of sight than we would determine that there was some signal interference....

If you can see your drone 2,000' out, you have FAR better vision than I. I think my world record is like 1600' under perfect conditions.

...but as of now even in the pouring rain we fly out about 2000 ft with no connection issues using either 2.4 or 5.8 Ghz

We do get the Wireless interference on both signals even when it does not rain at all and that warning we just ignore.

You may find the 32-channel hack and signal boost hack may help with that.

I did mapping gig down town a few days ago. Reception was HORRIBLE. So I checked the signal graph. Holy crap...I have never seen so much 2.4GHz activity/interference in my life! Not a single one of the 32 channels was green. So I checked 5.8GHz, and I found a couple green channels. I configured the drone to a green channel and we were good the rest of the day.

Generally speaking, because some of my mapping missions often require flights more than a mile out, I use 2.4GHz. But on this day, the interference in that band was insane.

Flying in the Rain/ Snow is just a matter of being Equipped to fly in extreme weather and that is what the wet suit was designed for.

View attachment 99388

How about the RC and the iPad? I didn't notice any special protection for them. I would think water would pool around the joysticks. Did you have protection for them?

D

We have not found that Rain has no had any interference at all with the signal being that we never go any further than 2000 ft in the rain. Maybe if we went out past visual line of sight than we would determine that there was some signal interference but as of now even in the pouring rain we fly out about 2000 ft with no connection issues using either 2.4 or 5.8 Ghz

View attachment 99388

Do you have any evidence that your rubber skin actually protects the AC from water?

Seriously, I see a rubber skin that only covers parts that I wouldn't worry about water anyway. All the venting is open, the motors and their mounts are open.

I would love to see a wetsuit p4 vs a no wetsuit p4 sise by side flight. I'm guessing they are exactly the same other than your wetsuit bird carrying a few extra ounces.

( regards visual sight )
Keep in mind that the Phantom Rain Wet Suit does provide a better visual in the sky , Being all black, or Black and Red or Black and White without shine gives it a little bit of an advantage in the visual department.
( regards signal strength )
We almost always fly 5.8 also and stay once tested in the area.
( regards water in the controller )
As far as the Plus Controller goes , we have not had any issues with it so far as we have put it thru it paces, however we can see adding that in the future or on request.
( regards 32 - channel hack )
That is something we are going to look into . Thank you

One Note: Something that is not mentioned much is that the Pro Plus Software is extremely reliable , as we have yet to have a single software crash,
The Pro Plus is very water resistant as is the screen as you can see in many of the water filled videos. Phantomrain.org
Thank you for Hack, I think were going to use that.

( regards visual sight )
Keep in mind that the Phantom Rain Wet Suit does provide a better visual in the sky , Being all black, or Black and Red or Black and White without shine gives it a little bit of an advantage in the visual department.
( regards signal strength )
We almost always fly 5.8 also and stay once tested in the area.
( regards water in the controller )
As far as the Plus Controller goes , we have not had any issues with it so far as we have put it thru it paces, however we can see adding that in the future or on request.
( regards 32 - channel hack )
That is something we are going to look into . Thank you

One Note: Something that is not mentioned much is that the Pro Plus Software is extremely reliable , as we have yet to have a single software crash,
The Pro Plus is very water resistant as is the screen as you can see in many of the water filled videos. Phantomrain.org
Thank you for Hack, I think were going to use that.

No, I dont want to know about visablity. I want evidence that the "wetsuit" does anything to protect the AC from rain. From every picture I've seen it does nothing to protect any component from water intrusion.

Do you have ANY side by side evidence that a wetsuit drone does better than non wetsuit drone does in the same storm?

Do you have any evidence that your rubber skin actually protects the AC from water?

Seriously, I see a rubber skin that only covers parts that I wouldn't worry about water anyway. All the venting is open, the motors and their mounts are open.

I would love to see a wetsuit p4 vs a no wetsuit p4 sise by side flight. I'm guessing they are exactly the same other than your wetsuit bird carrying a few extra ounces.

There is a reason why you do not see any Phantoms flying in the rain, and that is that water sneaks into the battery compartment almost instantly.
This is because the battery has a 1/16 inch gap on the right hand side allowing for water to go right in. The Phantom Rain Wet Suit seals that shut , this also stops the freezing cold air from sneaking into the battery, thus allowing you fly in freezing conditions such 20 below zero.

The other obvious issue is if you look at the side of you drone , there are a bunch of tiny holes that allow water to cascade thru as the water drips off the drone.
The Wet Suit covers the holes , but importantly provide a ROOF like structure over the vents , so the water can flow over the top of the vents , rather than inside of them

Keep in mind that the Wet Suit was designed to Negotiate water from going inside the drone period.

If you look at the video below you can see that the Engines and Prop mounts are very well protected, They serve two purposes: One STOP water , Two Lock in the Props so they do not come off so easy when hit.

Speaking of locking in , the Wet Suit also locks in the Battery from falling out, something we have see many times on this forum and so that is a really nice secure added benefit.
Props popping off , battery coming loose are all grounds for a Crash and so the SEALS on the wet suit provide support from that not happening.

Next we have the Gimbal Ring at the bottom of the drone , this is like a vacume for water to be sucked in really quickly , not only rain, but sand, dirt anything like that,
The Surge ring provides a Ring Of protection taking out the gapping hole and stopping water from going inside.

The wet suit is not Rocket Science, You cover up Holes, divert water, Negotiate drips , Seal what is clearly open or has gaps, Leave the vents open so it can breathe and improve on everything that DJI already did and you have yourself the Phantom Rain Wet Suit and all the added benefits to make flying more stress free.

Phantom rain has been very transparent in making videos that show the flights in there most raw forms.

This is one of my favorite videos below, shows the wet suit in a different light and might show a better view that the mounts are covered as well as the props.
If this video does not help ,we have others videos , even some in slow motion. Phantomrain.org

Last edited:
There is a reason why you do not see any Phantoms flying in the rain, and that is that water sneaks into the battery compartment almost instantly.
This is because the battery has a 1/16 inch gap on the right hand side allowing for water to go right in. The Phantom Rain Wet Suit seals that shut , this also stops the freezing cold air from sneaking into the battery, thus allowing you fly in freezing conditions such 20 below zero.

The other obvious issue is if you look at the side of you drone , there are a bunch of tiny holes that allow water to cascade thru as the water drips off the drone.
The Wet Suit covers the holes , but importantly provide a ROOF like structure over the vents , so the water can flow over the top of the vents , rather than inside of them

Keep in mind that the Wet Suit was designed to Negotiate water from going inside the drone period.

If you look at the video below you can see that the Engines and Prop mounts are very well protected, They serve two purposes: One STOP water , Two Lock in the Props so they do not come off so easy when hit.

Speaking of locking in , the Wet Suit also locks in the Battery from falling out, something we have see many times on this forum and so that is a really nice secure added benefit.
Props popping off , battery coming loose are all grounds for a Crash and so the SEALS on the wet suit provide support from that not happening.

Next we have the Gimbal Ring at the bottom of the drone , this is like a vacume for water to be sucked in really quickly , not only rain, but sand, dirt anything like that,
The Surge ring provides a Ring Of protection taking out the gapping hole and stopping water from going inside.

Phantom rain has been very transparent in making videos that show the flights in there most raw forms.

This is one of my favorite videos below, shows the wet suit in a different light and might show a better view that the mounts are covered as well as the props.
If this video does not help ,we have others videos , even some in slow motion. Phantomrain.org

A video of a hazy post rain day.

Do you have video of any drone without the rainsuit while another without it fails?

I have yet to see any evidence your rainsuit does anything to protect from rain.

This is probably the wrong thread to go to combat with you, but I see this "wetsuit" spam all over this site. Back it up. Prove to me and everyone else that your product protects drones. Match your wetsuit drone to an equal unprotected one on camera.

From every image I have seen the suit does nothing to protect any dji product from water intrusion.

A video of a hazy post rain day.

Do you have video of any drone without the rainsuit while another without it fails?

I have yet to see any evidence your rainsuit does anything to protect from rain.

This is probably the wrong thread to go to combat with you, but I see this "wetsuit" spam all over this site. Back it up. Prove to me and everyone else that your product protects drones. Match your wetsuit drone to an equal unprotected one on camera.

From every image I have seen the suit does nothing to protect any dji product from water intrusion.

I see that you JOINED THIS FORUM March 9th 2018 < Your comments are just on the edge of being TROLL like , Almost nasty , you know what I mean.

Despite this : I do like the idea of Comparing them side by side .

So thanks for the idea for more BANK , as we never really felt the need for such a blatant display of stupidity ,but seeing your past posts, I will feel better knowing
we are going to bank from your idea...

So thanks for the Trolling and being Nasty that was added plus./

But that video was hazy, but I like this one, this one put us on the map. enjoy until the next one.

Phantomrain.org Approved Vendor:

I see that you JOINED THIS FORUM March 9th 2018 < Your comments are just on the edge of being TROLL like , Almost nasty , you know what I mean.

Despite this : I do like the idea of Comparing them side by side .

So thanks for the idea for more BANK , as we never really felt the need for such a blatant display of stupidity ,but seeing your past posts, I will feel better knowing
we are going to bank from your idea...

So thanks for the Trolling and being Nasty that was added plus./

I suggest you report me if you feel that I am a troll.

I am new to this hobby and from my short time here and abroad (other sites) I have found a great many grifters when it comes to this expensive hobby.

From the images I have seen your product is nothing more than a thick sticker that does nothing more than any other skin or sticker... Change the color of the aircraft.

I am new to this hobby. I have made posts that make that clear. I have much to learn, but I know enough to be skeptical.

I have no idea how long you or your company has been involved, but I've seen your posts all over the site with zero evidence of function. I have seen zero evidence your product does anything to protect an aircraft from rain.

Back it up. Sacrifice a bird or two and show that a standard phantom without your rainsuit fails while yours covered in a suit remains flying.

Until that point everyone here should consider your multiple postings and advertising spam.

Reactions: thephantomaddict
I suggest you report me if you feel that I am a troll.

I am new to this hobby and from my short time here and abroad (other sites) I have found a great many grifters when it comes to this expensive hobby.

From the images I have seen your product is nothing more than a thick sticker that does nothing more than any other skin or sticker... Change the color of the aircraft.

I am new to this hobby. I have made posts that make that clear. I have much to learn, but I know enough to be skeptical.

I have no idea how long you or your company has been involved, but I've seen your posts all over the site with zero evidence of function. I have seen zero evidence your product does anything to protect an aircraft from rain.

Back it up. Sacrifice a bird or two and show that a standard phantom without your rainsuit fails while yours covered in a suit remains flying.

Until that point everyone here should consider your multiple postings and advertising spam.

You are a bit clueless, We are an approved vendor we pay every month to advertise and post. Come on dude, new or not lets get that figured out.
Second we post videos, more than we post images, so your still trolling , and so being new is not excuse for being nasty. You get that right, >?

You can be skeptical , and smart, but not nasty and stupid, that does not play well. So will keep on Advertising on the side banner , with the banner, and posting till you get Educated, being that your all new and all.

Will also work on that brilliant idea you gave me. $ Thank you.

You are a bit clueless, We are an approved vendor we pay every month to advertise and post. Come on dude, new or not lets get that figured out.
Second we post videos, more than we post images, so your still trolling , and so being new is not excuse for being nasty. You get that right, >?

You can be skeptical , and smart, but not nasty and stupid, that does not play well. So will keep on Advertising on the side banner , with the banner, and posting till you get Educated, being that your all new and all.

Will also work on that brilliant idea you gave me. $ Thank you.

Thank you for clearing up so very much. Approved vendor means you have paid for the right to advertise, not that your product fuctions as advertised and is backed by this website.

While you see my posts as a hostile action, I am nothing more than a potential customer asking you to back up the claim you make of your product.

Bragging about how much more money you will make with my idea does not reinforce your product. It only proves that you have likely never tested a stock p4 vs a "rainsuit" p4 against each other.

I stand by my skepticism. I doubt your product does anything other than change the color and add weight to a phantom.

To the original poster, I am so sorry to have hijacked your thread.

Reactions: With The Birds
You can avoid hitting the wrong screen touch by simply always training yourself to hit the Round button on the controller.
THAT was my point exactly.

And Harleydude? People need to start somewhere. Glad that you are such a pro, but this gentleman, and myself even, are just learning. We come here to learn, not be told how cool you are.

THAT was my point exactly.

And Harleydude? People need to start somewhere. Glad that you are such a pro, but this gentleman, and myself even, are just learning. We come here to learn, not be told how cool you are.

People will be more than willing to HELP YOU as long as you are appreciative :::::::

Since you and that other guy are so new : You might want to learn this about the battery as that could save you from your drone dropping out of the sky:

Keep in mind that this Problem was solved with the NEW PHANTOM 4 PRO 2.0

None the Less its a great lesson for those NEW: Most seasoned Pros are very aware !

For those NEW: This gap exists on all Phantom 4 Phantom 4 Pros and Advanced and this is the first place where RAIN gets in on the Drone and COLD AIR>

Reactions: Lindsaybev
People will be more than willing to HELP YOU as long as you are appreciative :::::::

I think somewhere along the line the thread changed...because the man's problem was that he hit the landing icon, instead of the RTH icon on the Go app. I felt for the man, as I had to hit RTH when my drone got into a situation in an unusually tall tree a bit too far off for me to see it clearly. It is certainly not my first flight, but the first flight where I was scared, and initiated the RTH feature. I felt for the man who originally posted, and told him something similar to your post much earlier.

But then others needed to come on and make comments about "even though the drone is idiot proof" and how they are such superior navigators....blah blah blah. It just doesn't really help the poor man who came for help. Even the most advanced had to start at the beginning. I guess some people don't remember the fear of being new and having such a cool, but also scary, piece of machinery up in the air...I have gotten a TON (!) of help on this forum, for which I give hearty thank yous to each and every person.

And to you, thank you (!) for the video link. No, I did not know about this, and it is one more added bonus for continuing in these forums!

i am sick to my stomach over this. yes it was my stupidity hit wrong button.im sure its totaled. now i have 1500 drone thats junk
May not be the case, I see youtube stuff where they recovered a Mavic after a few months of being under, he let it sit in rice for a week and it flys perfect

Reactions: Lindsaybev

Since you and that other guy are so new : You might want to learn this about the battery as that could save you from your drone dropping out of the sky:

Keep in mind that this Problem was solved with the NEW PHANTOM 4 PRO 2.0

None the Less its a great lesson for those NEW: Most seasoned Pros are very aware !

For those NEW: This gap exists on all Phantom 4 Phantom 4 Pros and Advanced and this is the first place where RAIN gets in on the Drone and COLD AIR>

Well that went sideways pretty quick.... I've been considering the wetsuit for some time and like most people avoid the rain at all costs but a quick flight during winter over here is always a risk. Caught out yesterday and whilst my P4 was only slightly damp, I checked out your videos and figured it's worth a try. Ordered a set from an Australian distributor and will no doubt put it to the test shortly and see how it goes. Thanks for creating options and ignore the naysayers.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Well that went sideways pretty quick.... I've been considering the wetsuit for some time and like most people avoid the rain at all costs but a quick flight during winter over here is always a risk. Caught out yesterday and whilst my P4 was only slightly damp, I checked out your videos and figured it's worth a try. Ordered a set from an Australian distributor and will no doubt put it to the test shortly and see how it goes. Thanks for creating options and ignore the naysayers.

Fantastic we do have a supplier in Australia, fantastic, Send me your Email so we can send you the Video Install videos unless the vender sent them to you also. and if you need any extra parts , just let me know , they will be on the house, thank you for the kind words.

Fantastic we do have a supplier in Australia, fantastic, Send me your Email so we can send you the Video Install videos unless the vender sent them to you also. and if you need any extra parts , just let me know , they will be on the house, thank you for the kind words.
Cheers for that,the company is called Riseabove and they are a tier 1 DJI distributor over in Sydney. They have a series of installation videos embedded on their website so I should be fine figuring it out. As for my set up, I have invested a lot of money in it (apparently too much so I'm told by she who should be obeyed) and am always looking for opportunities to keep the show in the air. I'll let you know how it goes, good bad and the ugly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20