Hit return home it landed and crashed

Reaction score
I was 519 feet from home point and was told home point was set hit return home and it over the trees and crashed

Need help figuring out what happened? Upload your TXT flight log here and post the link back here.

hope you can see this

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-05-21_[14-43-42].txt
    555.8 KB · Views: 451
hope you can see this
This is what your flight data looks like: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
At 4:22.8 it goes to autolanding with no indication of RTH being initiated.
Did you accidentally press the icon to land your Phantom rather than the RTH icon on screen?
RTH is underneath the Autoland icon.
i-mkhpmCg-M.png

Reactions: Per Timmermann
i am sick to my stomach over this. yes it was my stupidity hit wrong button.im sure its totaled. now i have 1500 drone thats junk

i am sick to my stomach over this. yes it was my stupidity hit wrong button.im sure its totaled. now i have 1500 drone thats junk
I am so sorry. I can onnly imagine how you feel, as I had to use my RTH button recently myself and was so releived to see it return and land.

It might be a bad time, but if there is a next time for you, try to only use the RTH on the Control Pad. This you need to hit and then hit and hold, keeps it a bit more clumsy proof. Important for us newbies.

Again, I feel for you.

I did the exact same thing and lucky it was at night and I could see the lights on the bird --it was descending about 500 ft out and 200 ft high. Had time to make correction. If I could not see the lights it would have crashed who knows where.

Yup I knew it seeing I paid so much I was very careful to hit the return home.i was just over tress had no time to react. Thanks

So sorry for your loss.

I did exactly what Meta4 suggests, without even realizing what I had done. My drone was about 200 feet in front of me and about 30 feet high. I tapped what I thought was the RTH icon. I got the voice telling me that it was "landing", which it did. I was very lucky that I was in a very big, empty field with no obstructions, so no damage done and I was able to pick up my drone. My next time out I did the exact same thing. Only this time I caught my mistake and was able to cancel the landing. Being a newb I blame myself for not watching the screen as closely as I should have. The second time around I stayed more calm, looked down at the screen long enough to realize my mistake. I think I can be sure that this will never happen again.

I have had several situations when my screen went "gray" (can't see where I'm going) and the controls were not responding. Rather than hit the RTH button on the controller or the icon on the screen, I waited for the automatically triggered RTH feature to kick in. After about 30 seconds (that seems like forever) the drone was on a RTH path at full altitude when I recovered manual control.

I did the same thing when I got my first Phantom but was eventually able to get control of it and land safely. SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS.

I've used the RTH on the screen AND on the Controller many times and have never had a problem with either one of them. Something else went wrong here and it wasn't the fault of the button.

Bud

I am so sorry. I can onnly imagine how you feel, as I had to use my RTH button recently myself and was so releived to see it return and land.

It might be a bad time, but if there is a next time for you, try to only use the RTH on the Control Pad. This you need to hit and then hit and hold, keeps it a bit more clumsy proof. Important for us newbies.

Again, I feel for you.

Funny how the more DJI "idiot-proofs" these drones, the easier they are to crash. I turn all that "auto land" / "object avoidance" stuff off and fly my P4P in exactly the same manner I flew my first P1. The best way to avoid trouble is to count on your own skill level. These forums are littered with guys who crashed their drones because they depended on technology to get them out of a tight spot.

The next scary wave: self-stopping cars. Can't wait to see how many people cite, "I thought the car was supposed to stop itself!?!?!?!" Drivers will forget how to use the brake. Scary stuff, man.

Buyer beware....

Funny how the more DJI "idiot-proofs" these drones, the easier they are to crash. I turn all that "auto land" / "object avoidance" stuff off and fly my P4P in exactly the same manner I flew my first P1. The best way to avoid trouble is to count on your own skill level. These forums are littered with guys who crashed their drones because they depended on technology to get them out of a tight spot.

The next scary wave: self-stopping cars. Can't wait to see how many people cite, "I thought the car was supposed to stop itself!?!?!?!" Drivers will forget how to use the brake. Scary stuff, man.

Buyer beware....
So are you saying you always fly in Atti Mode and not P Mode?

To me, the fun part of flying my Phantom is learning to use the technology that is built into it. Not that I depend on it to fly itself all the time. I paid big bucks for the technology so I try to use it. If I want to test my stick skills I fly my $100 quad.

So are you saying you always fly in Atti Mode and not P Mode?

Not always. Just when I practice or when I'm checking wind speeds.

Note: Zero telemetry. And though this old Phantom 1 DID have FPV capabilities, clearly, I'm not wearing my goggles.

To me, the fun part of flying my Phantom is learning to use the technology that is built into it.

Yessir. I use the technology for mapping all the time. But that's fully autonomous flight, which has it's own set of caveats.

Not that I depend on it to fly itself all the time.

Exactly. ALWAYS have an exit strategy and/or contingency plan.

I paid big bucks for the technology so I try to use it. If I want to test my stick skills I fly my $100 quad.

Yep. I tell my friends all the time, "If you can fly $100 quad around the house without crashing into anything, chances are, you can fly a $1,000 quad outside without a problem."

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Exactly. You need to understand what the technology is doing for you. And like Harleydude said, always have an out out for when things don't go as you expected. All this technology is not a substitution for situational awareness. In some ways it increases the need for situational awareness. That is where newbies get into trouble.

Reactions: roosta
I didn't think they put the safeguards on these quads so people could ignore them. To me, that's just asking for trouble. If you have everything set up right and push the right buttons, everything will work just fine but these quads can't compensate for pilot error.

Exactly. For instance, because I understand my environment and the behavior of the bird, most times I disable Object Avoidance for RTH. But I did a job the other day that had one tall 95' building. Even though RTH is set to 150', I left OA on "just in case."

RTH dont be afraid to abuse it. Learning how to use it , will make flying a lot more fun and make every flight more productive.

We use the Return Home Feature on just about every flight some time several times on each flight.
It is always best to press the big round button on the actual Controller for about 4 seconds until the RTH is triggered than let go of the button.
Remember you can still take control of the drone as its coming back, including the camera , which makes this such a great way to film the trip on the way back.
I have found that many times this is an easier way to capture a more detailed video of your subject.

You can avoid hitting the wrong screen touch by simply always training yourself to hit the Round button on the controller.
Its really easy to loose the orientation of your drone in flight so hitting that RTH button on the controller itself is perfect for getting that back, and than cancelling out of it.
Getting that orientation back on your drone is critical when time is running out , when panic is taking place, when the drone battery is low and you have to make good decisions.

Since we like to fly in extreme weather conditions, we get pushed around with the wind quite a-lot and we might push the RTH home button many times in a single flight to negotiate the change in direction and keep visual flight in the storm.

Once we mastered that RTH and all that it can be used for, flying became a lot more fun.

We shot this video last night, a low flying shot over the tree tops out to 2300 ft with visual and than on the way back engaged RTH for the ride back at 200 ft for the scenic flight taking some control of the height and camera angle .

We found that at 2300 ft with the Phantom Rain Wet Suit ,starts to loose visual sight with the Wet Suit slightly after so the RTH is mandatory for getting us back on track.
I have also included at snap shot of the drone for those might want to see the drone at 2300 ft ,, of course the video picture is not as clear as the naked eye.

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 10.14.45 PM.png

Here is an example :

Reactions: bdooley

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20