Help with P4 dropped out of flight, battery error ?

Reaction score
Good Evening guys,

Trying to help out a friend, we both fly phantom 4 drones and just tonight his drone fell out of the sky. The red and green lights appear to have turned off and connection was lost, motors powered off. He cannot recall but the battery lights seem like they were still on when it landed on the ground, but the battery was out of the shell from the impact.

It happened shortly after take off (22 seconds in) and about 20 feet above the ground, some serious damage but we are looking into some possible causes for this as the unit is out of warranty. Battery has 27 charges on a regular capacity unit 5350 mah grey p4.

I uploaded the logs to UAVdata of the crashing flight, I dont see anything out of the ordinary except for the battery temp being near 50C.

First few flights before crash -- where battery temp looks high to me (uploaded logs under my account)
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Final crash log

The following errors were on his part and im just trying to make sure it was not a drone issue:
- flew about 2 hours total today
- battery was charged erratically
- flown from 95% charge to 25% charge, landed and put on charger immediately up to 65%
- then thrown back into drone at 65%

I deduced the above and he has a rough re-collection of yes being rushed to get some shots in the nice weather. The battery was not left to cool between charges, but would it cause this ??

Could the random charges and high starting temp (near 50c) cause the battery to just turn off randomly, or was it a battery disconnect ??

We fired up the drone just now, motors turn on, sensors work, but camera is fully smashed off.
This is a P4 regular 12mp model.

Any info would be greatly appreciated before we start working on this bad boy (out of warranty).

You will need to pull the .dat file from the aircraft. These logs show nothing out of the ordinary. If you need assistance with that, see the link below. You will need to upload the file to a sharable location and post a link to that back here.

How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC

Reactions: Buffalohunter
Wow sorry to hear that. Same thing happened to me 2 days ago. Fly dawg helped me so much on getting the info I needed to share. Def upload it mate.

Just to help ease the pain I included the footage of my deadly crash from 2 days ago. Hope it will be some comfort to your friend to know that someone else is in the same situation

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Linuxglobal
Wow sorry to hear that. Same thing happened to me 2 days ago. Fly dawg helped me so much on getting the info I needed to share. Def upload it mate.

Just to help ease the pain I included the footage of my deadly crash from 2 days ago. Hope it will be some comfort to your friend to know that someone else is in the same situation

He is new to the P4 so i will do my best to help source out the parts to get him flying again.

Just new to me seeing a battery pop out like that, i always wondered myself about the risk of a battery eject (on my p4p long flights).
My main worry is we will get it fixed up, all working and then boom again it drops or something.

Very helpful people on here so I will be more active since i have a lot of drones, parts, etc I can help with. I make and design custom drone parts as a hobby, most are sold on ebay. Replacement parts, original parts and upgrades so hopefully I can help out someone like you guys are help us with this crash.

Sorry to see your video as well, not a pretty sight :(
- Did you find out what caused it ?? the p4 stopped filming and turned everything off. so no footage, im hoping to see the dat details but i think it will show nothing if battery had a bad connection/disconnected from craft. It literally turned motors off and fell out of the sky, no spin, no lights at all (it was at night).

Just new to me seeing a battery pop out like that, i always wondered myself about the risk of a battery eject
Not sure this occurred in this instance as the OP stated that the battery was out from the impact. But its does happen in air sometimes. Have seen a few of those around.

Hey Everyone

Follow up after the repair of the visibly broken parts.
Fired it up with the original crash battery and its cutting power once again.

Thoughts ? Im ready to send her off to DJI for repair/analysis

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31