P4 Firmware Height limitiation

Reaction score
Hey all. I did some searching but could not find an answer to this. I stupidly did a firmware upgrade on my Phantom 4 Pro and it seems that I can no longer fly more that 400 feet higher than my take off point. However, I own an amateur radio repeater on a 630 foot tower. In the past, I was able to inspect the antenna and feed line. Based on FAA rules, I SHOULD be able to fly up to 1030 feet above the tower (400 feet higher) but it looks like the new DJI Phantom 4 firmware is prohibiting me from doing this now. I am not looking to skirt any rules but it looks like DJI's latest firmware will no longer let me do what I am legally allowed to do.

Am I missing something in the settings. If I am 92 feel ASL, I am limited to 492 feet in altitude even though the tower is 630 feet high and, by FAA rules, I should be able to climb to 1030 feet. Any suggestions, thoughts or ideas?

Did you change you maximum altitude in the settings area?
20190608_180035.jpg

Is your tower visible on any of the LAANC software? I would think being that high it should be. If it is, I would think permission could be obtained to perform an inspection on your tower.

it looks like DJI's latest firmware will no longer let me do what I am legally allowed to do.
No it doesn't.
A number of settings have reverted to their default values in the update you performed.
That includes things like your RTH height and your Max Altitude Limit.
You can reset them again after the update.

Welcome to the forum!

As an add on to what was noted by Meta4, we routinely tell people that if they choose to update their FW they should check their settings after the update. Some settings may revert to default values. Also, some settings are stored on the AC and not in the app so check the settings while connected to your AC or they may stay at their default values even if you try to change them.

Of course, checking your settings often is good practice even when you haven't changed FW.

I did check the settings and the maximum height is 500M. I have not been up to the tower yet, ive only taken off from my driveway. It indicates that my take off height is 93 feet and would let me fly up yo 493 feet. Even that is wrong as I am about 140 feet ASL I do not fly higher than I should and have not been up to the tower yet but it seems that updating the firmware may have been a mistake. Additionally, I am not flying in controlled airspace, I only fly as a hobby. I do not have a 107 certificate.

Reactions: Basspig
I did check the settings and the maximum height is 500M. I have not been up to the tower yet, ive only taken off from my driveway. It indicates that my take off height is 93 feet and would let me fly up yo 493 feet. Even that is wrong as I am about 140 feet ASL I do not fly higher than I should and have not been up to the tower yet but it seems that updating the firmware may have been a mistake. Additionally, I am not flying in controlled airspace, I only fly as a hobby. I do not have a 107 certificate.

Are you saying that you have tried to fly over 400 ft above takeoff and the aircraft has refused to climb, or that something on the app is convincing you that you won't be able to go over 400 ft? When you set the max height to 500 m - was the aircraft connected at the time or were you just looking in the app?

Also, if you care - note that the 400 ft above structures allowance is only for Part 107 flights - it does not apply to recreational use.

I just checked the settings and max height is set to 500M. When I start up the remote controller, it displays "Height Limited Zone (GPS)" and it alternates to "Altitude Limit 492ft".

Oso mentioned some settings being stored on the AC itself. When I connect, the RTH and Max Altitude read 0. I can change that to another number but when I tab off of the field, the numbers revert back to 0. Am I missing something or am I stuck with this hard coded limitation now?

When you set the max height to 500 m - was the aircraft connected at the time or were you just looking in the app?

It was connected wirelessly. When I connect it by wire and change it, the moment I tab off of the window, it returns to "0".

I was not aware 107 was required to go over the 400 limit within 400 feet of the structure. I'd have no problem obtaining that as a private pilot but even if I do, am I still limited with this AC?

I just checked the settings and max height is set to 500M. When I start up the remote controller, it displays "Height Limited Zone (GPS)" and it alternates to "Altitude Limit 492ft".

Oso mentioned some settings being stored on the AC itself. When I connect, the RTH and Max Altitude read 0. I can change that to another number but when I tab off of the field, the numbers revert back to 0. Am I missing something or am I stuck with this hard coded limitation now?

OK - it sounds like you are in one of the DJI altitude zones that restrict height as a function of distance from the thresholds of airport runways. Take a look at the DJI geo website for your location:

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

That's it! My house is about 7 miles from an airport but that link you sent shows the height limited zone extending out the north and south headings of the runway right over my house.

Thanks!

Reactions: Oso and sar104
That's it! My house is about 7 miles from an airport but that link you sent shows the height limited zone extending out the north and south headings of the runway right over my house.

Thanks!
Great news that it was solved. Imagine how much sooner it would have been solved if we had known from the start that you were seeing the message "Height Limited Zone (GPS)". :)

Great news that it was solved. Imagine how much sooner it would have been solved if we had known from the start that you were seeing the message "Height Limited Zone (GPS)". :)

Very true. My first post I was posting from memory. After I tried again, I has a screen shot of the message.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic