Phantom 4 Advanced significant camera issue

Reaction score
Lurker here. First post. Let me first say that this community has been incredibly helpful the last few years as I've gotten to know my Phantom 4 Advanced. I had a major crash two years ago flying dead straight into a tree but was able to do a solid rebuild thanks to the people in this forum. It's worked great since.

Last week in mid flight, without contact with another object, the camera signal got pretty wonky. Firmware is up to date -- did some basic gimbal, compass calibration etc. Took it apart to inspect ribbon connections. So far I don't see any glaring issue. I haven't fully dismantled it yet but was hoping someone would know if this is even a fixable issue. Is it a sensor issue or faulty ribbon etc?

Video attached to show what I am talking about. It was working perfectly and the next moment all video looks like this.

Thank you!

Ummmm tryed looking at HD channels to see if you find better custom channel,,does it change when selecting different cam modes ,like 720,1080,4k etc ,should be able to test like you are just by holding and going through them,,hope this does help,,ribbon cables look ok,,it could be a cam sensor but I think it will prompt you if that happens,,under status does it mention anything or all normal

Reactions: Capt KO
Thanks for the response! Everything checks out as normal with the drone and controller. I thought it might be a channel issue with transmission back to the controller, but the footage I pull from the card looks exactly like the video I posted so it has to be some sort of camera issue. I guess?

Reactions: Harleydude
It appears to be a timing problem with the video encoder itself. It could be a damaged video board, or a connection to or from it. I would open the drone up, and examine with a powerful loop the circuit board itself, looking at each junction of each component to the circuit board, any damaged traces, and any cable connector joints.

It is almost certainly a hardware problem, but can be very difficult to find. It could be a failed component as well. Latent crash damage causing this is a good bet.

Best of luch.

I had one similar that turned out to be the camera IMU board. Chances are though that it's just a bad connection to it. Ended up replacing mine and it's not cheap.

Reactions: Jim Canada

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl