GUI Version of DatConverter

Reaction score
A GUI version of DatConverter is available. This version, called DatCon, can be obtained here.

To install DatCon go to the downloads page and download the latest version. The downloaded file will be a .zip that will need to to be unzipped. Then execute (double-click) the DatConSetup file. DatCon should then be installed and an offer will be made to start DatCon. The user manual is contained in the downloaded DATCON.zip and can also be accessed by starting DatCon and selecting the Help menu. The user manual has a Quick Start section.

For information about running DatCon on a Mac or Linux system consult the readme.txt file in the downloaded DatCon.zip

In addition to the Graphical User Interface, DatCon has some other new features that DatConverter didn't have:
1) Several new fields
2) A component that manages Dashware compatibility.
3) An adjustable time scale to make it easy to synchronize with DJI Go App, HealthyDrones, and Litchi App.
4) An integrated component that produces the event and configuration logs
5) An integrated KML component that produces a groundtrack or 3D profile.
6) The second half of a split .DAT can be read and converted. The resulting .csv files have to be merged manually.

A special thanks go to the beta testers @flyNfrank, @GregWV, @happydays, @JustJ, @Luap, @Mike_p3p, @phantomknowledge, and @TheRealNick,

Last edited:
Bud, I must say, what you broke your neck over and lost sleep along with the countless hours invested....turned out to be an outstanding setup. I personally could never thank you enough for your dedication to putting together what you did. I think anyone that uses it the 1st time wouldn't have any problem making a donation out of appreciation. The value to anyone using just to diagnose a crash should find it priceless. Nothing like having hardcore facts when approaching dji about an issues on their end concerning your crashed aircraft.

There has yet to be anyone else in the P3 world to bring anything this intense to the table. Again Thank You...and keep on producing great stuff!

-Frank

Reactions: Oso
WOW Bud, this is amazing! Nice work!
You should ask for donations!

WOW Bud, this is amazing! Nice work!
You should ask for donations!
Thanks. @flyNfrank also mentioned this.

I'm absolutely not interested in donations, or any other commercial aspects of this project. I'm doing it because I was bored and this stuff is fun.

Thanks. @flyNfrank also mentioned this.
I'm absolutely not interested in donations, or any other commercial aspects of this project. I'm doing it because I was bored and this stuff is fun.

OK ;-)
Here is question about the GUI. I have a huge 4K and 5K screen. The GUI looks tiny winy on the screen. Normally, you can then go to the apps' properties and check Disable display scaling on high DPI screens. However, for this app, nothing happens (I think it's a Java phenomenon). Is there any way to get it bigger? I found this, but not sure if this is how you made the app How to set the dpi of java swing apps on Windows/Linux?

Reactions: 3dPico
I also have a question, but it's more on the dashware element.

My .dat files convert no problem into .csv files, and I can upload them no problem into dashware (love the new layout, btw). However, I can't get the clip to 'play'. The buttons are greyed out. Any ideas? I'm fairly new to dashware.

Thank you Bud and Luap! Especially for the Litchi profile! Saved me the headache of making an importer for it. Can't wait to tinker with these this weekend.

I also have a question, but it's more on the dashware element.

My .dat files convert no problem into .csv files, and I can upload them no problem into dashware (love the new layout, btw). However, I can't get the clip to 'play'. The buttons are greyed out. Any ideas? I'm fairly new to dashware.

Check the video - Should answer your question - unfortunately I have no mic. You should load a 1920*1080p video and avoid ones with frame rates above 30fps.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolfiesden
Check the video - Should answer your question - unfortunately I have no mic. You should load a 1920*180p video and avoid ones with frame rates above 30fps.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks!

Great tool, you really did good job, man ;)

I have two notes:
1. Could you please add option for 2 Hz? (or option to write there custom value)
2. Generated KML uses altitude relative to the ground. Please, add node <altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode> into <LineString> tag, thanks.

Great tool, you really did good job, man ;)

I have two notes:
1. Could you please add option for 2 Hz? (or option to write there custom value)
2. Generated KML uses altitude relative to the ground. Please, add node <altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode> into <LineString> tag, thanks.
2 Hz can be added, Maybe I'll do a custom field as well. The KML component does not use the Sample Rate found in the CSV component.

What tags did you have in mind?

From the other thread you said:
"- but I found, that geoid height in my location is only ~ 40 meters and that is still not enough, because difference is 210 - 89 = 121 m
- this site gives me same wrong altitude values as your tool does
- but this site, using TXT logs from mobile phone, gives me correct altitude values"

In general, the P3 doesn't know what the absolute altitude is. GPS isn't 100% accurate, and the P3 combines GPS with the barometer to determine altitude. I suspect the real issue is that the P3 doesn't know what Google Earth thinks the elevation is at the home point.

Why, you may ask, is HealthyDrones able to display an altitude that matches Google Earth. I'm pretty sure that HD somehow gets the home point elevation from Google Earth and then corrects the altitudes for the flight. We should ask @EranSteiner . The only way that I know to do that is get a license and key from Google Earth that then can be used to provide that info. That key would have to be embedded in DatCon that gets distributed. I'm unwilling to do that. Providing the capability for the end user to get there own license and key is a possibility, but that's pretty far down on my to-do list.

Last edited:
2 Hz can be added, Maybe I'll do a custom field as well.
Thanks.

Once again: your tool generates KML. KML contains longitude, latitude and altitude (relative to ground). When I open this KML in Google Earth, I get red line, that is located on the ground.
So I suggest you could add <altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode> into <LineString> section while generating the KML. Then in Google Earth the red line will be correctly drawn in the air where Phantom actually flew and not on the ground.

In general, the P3 doesn't know what the absolute altitude is. GPS isn't 100% accurate, and the P3 combines GPS with the barometer to determine altitude.
I know, but there cannot be 120 meters difference with 12 to 18 satellites in view.
I have been using GPS systems for years so I am no novice in this area.

Why, you may ask, is HealthyDrones able to display an altitude that matches Google Earth. I'm pretty sure that HD somehow gets the home point elevation from Google Earth and then corrects the altitudes for the flight.
I don't know. It's possible. Another option is, that TXT files contain different data than DAT files.
For example, CSV output from TXT files from HealthyDrones page contains also exact UTC time of each record. Outputs from DAT files don't contain that.

The only way that I know to do that is get a license and key from Google Earth that then can be used to provide that info.
No, of course I don't need you to do that. For my needs I can calculate correct altitude values by myself.

Once again: your tool generates KML. KML contains longitude, latitude and altitude (relative to ground). When I open this KML in Google Earth, I get red line, that is located on the ground.
So I suggest you could add <altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode> into <LineString> section while generating the KML. Then in Google Earth the red line will be correctly drawn in the air where Phantom actually flew and not on the ground.

Please read the KML Panel section in the User Manual. The altitude is not relative to ground, it's relative to what the P3 thinks the home point altitude is. If you've supplied a home point elevation and selected Profile then the KML specifies <altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode> and adds home point elevation to each altitude.

I'm not a KML expert and don't really know what is meant by "into <LineString>". Maybe you could provide an example of what you want by taking the KML output generated by DatCon and modifying it.

As for the difference between actual altitude and that reported by the P3 you'll need to contact DJI. DatCon just reports the values it found in the .DAT.

I suspect the time information you see in the .txt gets added by the tablet. I've searched for the time info in the .DAT on several different occasions and have not found anything. In fact, I've probably more time searching for this field than any other field. I know the P3 has to know something about the time because the .DATs have a time stamp. I'm pretty sure this comes from the R/C, not the tablet.

Please read the KML Panel section in the User Manual. The altitude is not relative to ground, it's relative to what the P3 thinks the home point altitude is. If you've supplied a home point elevation and selected Profile then the KML specifies <altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode> and adds home point elevation to each altitude.
I filled in the Home Point altitude, but I didn't click on "Profile". You are right, now it's better :)

Maybe you could provide an example of what you want by taking the KML output generated by DatCon and modifying it.
I will send you an e-mail (to address that is in the "DatCon Usage.pdf"). I don't want to give it here, to forum. Thanks for understanding.

I filled in the Home Point altitude, but I didn't click on "Profile". You are right, now it's better :)
I'll change DatCon so that if the Home Point Elevation field is modified then the Profile option is automatically selected. This makes sense since the only reason to edit this field would be that the user wants the Profile instead of the GroundTrack.

Last edited:
Just starting to learn about this stuff so if I am way off base please let me know.
I downloaded my csv file from healthydrones and was able to import that into dashware.
Seemed almost to easy. Am I missing something? Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31