GUI Version of DatConverter

Understood 180 to -180

Do I have the latest version then of DatCon? It's a marvelous utility by the way.

Elsewhere I read a note about another analysis tool you had written called "FLYDUMP", I believe? Is that available?

One more thought.... Would it be reasonable to take the file DatCon generates and calculate direction of travel from the latitude longitude coordinates found there? Or even use DashWare to calculate direction of travel from those values on the fly?
2.0.0 is the latest. 2.1.0 is in beta test with one remaining bug to be fixed..

FLYDUMP became DatDump and is still around somewhere. It's not an analysis tool. I've told others that wanted it that is not worth using. They ultimately agreed and found it not worth the effort. You can have it but maybe you should ask @GregWV about it.

Don't know if I'd call it reasonable but I suppose you could calculate direction of travel from the .csv file. I'm not a Dashware expert. You should ask @Luap when he gets back in about a week.

2.0.0 is the latest. 2.1.0 is in beta test with one remaining bug to be fixed..

FLYDUMP became DatDump and is still around somewhere. It's not an analysis tool. I've told others that wanted it that is not worth using. They ultimately agreed and found it not worth the effort. You can have it but maybe you should ask @GregWV about it.

Don't know if I'd call it reasonable but I suppose you could calculate direction of travel from the .csv file. I'm not a Dashware expert. You should ask @Luap when he gets back in about a week.

I'm unaware of any calculators or converters in dashware that work with the -negative side that yaw category. I believe the .csv converter is able to do it and data then displayed in it's own category.

DatDump creates files that area many gigabytes in size. Like BudWalker said it is not very useful.

I appreciate all the responses. I got my P3P as a Christmas gift this past and in my little free time am learning to fly it, do some recording, and utilize DashWare. Very cool stuff for me.

I learned real quickly that the DAT holds more data than the TXT files when I lost communication between my remote controller (radio do we say?) and the P3. Looking at the DAT (thank you again BudWalker) I could understand exactly what the bird had been doing when I was not in contact with it as well as see by viewing the onboard (as opposed to iPad cached) video. Again all very cool.

I'm looking forward to programmed flights using the Litchi App. and subsequent reviews of the DatCon output.

BudWalker - What features/capabilities will the new version provide?

You use a Virtual Machine setup or?!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm using a MacBook Air. I extract the dat files using disc utility then convert the files to a csv using the jar version of datcon. All on the Mac.

However, unfortunately dashware is only available on Windows.

I'm running Windows 7 on parallels on the Mac and therefore I'm able to use dashware.

The info in the files, and the tools that the guys have developed to allow mere mortals to see the data in graphic form make the information viewable on healthy drones look like first class in school compared to a post grad.

I'm using a MacBook Air. I extract the dat files using disc utility then convert the files to a csv using the jar version of datcon. All on the Mac.

However, unfortunately dashware is only available on Windows.

I'm running Windows 7 on parallels on the Mac and therefore I'm able to use dashware.

The info in the files, and the tools that the guys have developed to allow mere mortals to see the data in graphic form make the information viewable on healthy drones look like first class in school compared to a post grad.

:) Well said. I use VMWARE and windows 10.

Version 2.1.0 of DatCon is available. It can be obtained by going here.

A new website, datfile.net, has been created that will contain materials related to DatCon. The newest version as well as previous versions will be available here. Also, Dashware profiles used for each Datcon version can be found here. I'm in the process of documenting the data that DatCon generates and this is also included on the website.

On startup DatCon will check to see if there is a newer version and inform you if there is one. This feature can be defeated via an option in the File menu.

There were several minor bugs in version 2.0.0 that have been fixed in 2.1.0.

This version has a system dependent look and feel. This should fix user interface problems seen by some users.

New fields have been added. QuatW, quatX, quatY, quatZ, accel, gyro, and error are explained in the above mentioned
documentation The compassError field has been talked about in other posts and is still being investigated. The gimbal orientation data is incomplete in the sense that it is just orientation relative to the P3, i.e. there is no absolute orientation data yet.

Last edited:
Version 2.1.0 of DatCon is available. It can be obtained by going here.

A new website, datfile.net, has been created that will contain materials related to DatCon. The newest version as well as previous versions will be available here. Also, Dashware profiles used for each Datcon version can be found here. I'm in the process of documenting the data that DatCon generates and this is also included on the website.

On startup DatCon will check to see if there is a newer version and inform you if there is one. This feature can be defeated via an option in the File menu.

There were several minor bugs in version 2.0.0 that have been fixed in 2.1.0.

This version has a system dependent look and feel. This should fix user interface problems seen by some users.

New fields have been added. QuatW, quatX, quatY, quatZ, accel, gyro, and error are explained in the above mentioned
documentation The compassError field has been talked about in other posts and is still being investigated. The gimbal orientation data is incomplete in the sense that it is just orientation relative to the P3, i.e. there is no absolute orientation data yet.

Did you mean to have a link to Dashware above? Also, there was a dashware link found on the new datfile.net site but it only contained the same Version 3 that was linked around the 6th. Not sure if you were referring to that version or more recent version?

Quaternions! Good news. Did you add motor command, speed, torque, etc?

Quaternions! Good news. Did you add motor command, speed, torque, etc?
Motor speed, commanded, and load already existed in version 2.0.0. I suspect that motor load is a current measurement. When a prop is lost speed and commanded go to the max and load is reduced. I'm not sure what's meant by torque; maybe the same as load?

Motor speed, commanded, and load already existed in version 2.0.0. I suspect that motor load is a current measurement. When a prop is lost speed and commanded go to the max and load is reduced. I'm not sure what's meant by torque; maybe the same as load?

Torque = load, yes. I see the fields but they're all zeros throughout the log file. Could this be a distinction between P3 and Inspire?

Torque = load, yes. I see the fields but they're all zeros throughout the log file. Could this be a distinction between P3 and Inspire?
I've checked DatCon against some Inspire .DAT files that I have. The motor speed, commanded, and load all appear to work correctly. Motor commanded and speed can be 0 for quite some time if you've chosen gpsLock (which is the default) as the lower end on the time interval. Are you confident this is the right .DAT? Just yesterday I had a guy who was absolutely, 100% positive he had the right .DAT only to find out that it wasn't.

DatCon doesn't handle the 6 cell battery correctly. It reports 4 of the 6 cell voltages. VoltMin, voltMax and voltageSpread are based only the first 4 cells not the 6.

This one I looked at the other day had it all the way through the flight. Let me check some others.

One more thought.... Would it be reasonable to take the file DatCon generates and calculate direction of travel from the latitude longitude coordinates found there? Or even use DashWare to calculate direction of travel from those values on the fly?
Are you still interested in having DatCon compute a direction of travel? It would be computed from successive GPS coordinates making the values be "true" as opposed to magnetic. Since the P3 uses magnetic for orientation I'm not sure how useful a "true" direction of travel would be.

Lemme know

Are you still interested in having DatCon compute a direction of travel? It would be computed from successive GPS coordinates making the values be "true" as opposed to magnetic. Since the P3 uses magnetic for orientation I'm not sure how useful a "true" direction of travel would be.

Lemme know
Yes I would find true direction of travel very useful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31