GPS tracker - RF-V16

I bought Rf-v16 and did some tests last night. First thing I did was teather my P2V to a heavy 4x4 to keep it from flying away. I placed the tracker on the bottom side of the drone to keep it away from the GPS antenna. for testing, I taped it in place with blue painters tape. I took off and hovered at about 10' off the ground and left it in GPS mode. Winds were at 5-10mph and variable in direction.

• Test 1: Hovering with the tracker on. Pass. No issues noted. The drone stayed in place.
  • Test 2: Hovering: Requested status from the tracker. No issues noted.
  • Test 3:Hovering: Requested location from tracker. No drone issues noted. Tracker highly inaccurate. Repeated multiple times with the same poor tracking results. Error >1000'.
  • Test 4: Hovering: Turned on tracker auto data upload. This send location information to the server. Set the time frame for 1 min between uploads. No issues noted.
  • Test 5: Landed, motors stopped, power still on. Requested tracking info. No drone issues noted. Tracking information more accurate. Error <50'. Could hear the tracker's speaker when calling it from the reported location. This would make finding it easier.
  • Test 6: Took the drone into the woods and laid it on its side with the batteries on. Tracker information became innacurate again (>1000' error in opposite direction of test 3).
  • Test 7: Removed the tracker from the drone, moved the drone about 100' away, left the tracker in the woods. Same innaccuracy as test 6.
Conclusion:
  • Flying the drone with the Rf-v16 attached, even in auto send mode, had no adverse effects during teathered hovers.
  • The accuracy of the Rf-v16 is poor. When it works, it is great, however, when it doesn't, you have a 2000+' diameter circle to work through.

And if your in an area without cell coverage how good are those reports???

And if your in an area without cell coverage how good are those reports???
That is very true, but all trackers will then fail. Everything has a limitation, and it is incumebt on the user to understand the limitations.

That is very true, but all trackers will then fail. Everything has a limitation, and it is incumebt on the user to understand the limitations.

Try a marco polo tracker no cell required

A $100 insurance policy for my $500 P2V is a bit steep. 99% of my flying is in cell coverage areas anyway, and always in line of sight, so this is for oh sh&^ moments.

The accuracy of the Rf-v16 is poor. When it works, it is great, however, when it doesn't, you have a 2000+' diameter circle to work through.
Put the tracker somewhere on the bird where the top of it can see the sky. I attached mine to one leg of the Phantom. If it loses GPS signal then it uses cell tower location "LBS" and you get the thousands of feet accuracy. I'm surprised it works at all on the underside of the Phantom.

Does anyone know if the phone app works on a Blackberry device? Or is it just Android or iPhone?

Didn't see anybody mention this tracker holder. Really a great product for the phantom 3! Took a long time to get it in Jersey, but worth the wait. Gimbal-Guard

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 395
Wondering if anyone can offer any potential solutions for getting the RF V16 to connect. I've got a 'pay as you go' (pay per use) plan on the SIM right now which has talk and text (with caller ID etc) with the option of adding data as I need it. I figure that if I need to get an accurate location I can activate the data, but for the majority of the time the talk/text combo should do the trick. The problem is that it's not connecting to the network. I've done the power off and on, used the recessed reset button… nothing. I've been on the phone with the service provider (Bell Canada) and from their end it all seems fine. The most frustrating part is that when I take my SIM out of my iPhone 5 (Rogers Canada) the RF V16 connects instantly and works beautifully.

I just thought I'd throw this out here to see if anyone had any suggestions to get this thing working. It would be way less frustrating if it didn't work in any scenario - but the fact that I know it can work makes this very annoying!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You may have to set APN, username, password.
Usually (and possibly default) is internet, *blank*, *blank*. That may work on one network, but not the other.
They usually don't require user/pass anymore, but the APN might be network name instead of "internet".

You may have to set APN, username, password.
Usually (and possibly default) is internet, *blank*, *blank*. That may work on one network, but not the other.
They usually don't require user/pass anymore, but the APN might be network name instead of "internet".

Thanks - that might be worth a try for configuring internet access, but as of right now the unit won't receive text commands or send responses so I can't access or set up parameters. I'm trying to get it to cooperate with basic talk and text before data… gotta learn to walk before you can fly ;)

Anyone know of any SIM card requirements to get this unit up and going? Services that must be enabled etc?
I feel like there really isn't much to troubleshoot here - especially since it works with one SIM and not the other.
Again, any suggestions are appreciated.

Oh ok, looks like I misread.
Have you tried the SIM that doesn't work in the tracker in another device?

Oh ok, looks like I misread.
Have you tried the SIM that doesn't work in the tracker in another device?

I have and it looks like it works. I can't confirm 100% because I don't have an unlocked phone or a phone registered to the same provider, but it's recognized and I'm asked for activation so I think it's working.

The area that I live in and fly does not have cell coverage. In that case, I guess it will not work for me.

That's weird. Maybe try searching for networks in iphone settings, see if it shows all of the available ones.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj