GPS tracker - RF-V16

RIDETOEAT said:
As far as directions, just call the # on the paper, wait for any kind of an answer and hang up. It will email and text within a minute and give the lat. lon. and battery % and a link to google earth and you will be advised with in 2 to 250 feet of your tracker as best I can tell. . All for now.

P.S. if you ping it in a moving car, it will make it's mark maybe 15-20 seconds after the call is answered. Can be off a 1/4 mile in this case and you will need to ping it twice to understand direction of travel. I used the supplied velcro to attach under my battery box on P2, this is less than perfect as I have to remove it to plug in if I choose to instead of pulling the SD card.

Does yours send the tracker battery level?

So I know this has been talked about a lot, but a few questions. I am in the US and I am with tmobile. I can get the pay as you go card and start out with $10 loaded and go from there, but how much is an incoming and outgoing text and phone call? I may also consider adding a line to my family plan and get a SIM that way (if that is cheaper). I have noticed some on ebay say they do not support 3G or 4G SIMs, so how do I know or make sure I do not get a 3G or 4G sim (not sure if tmobile has different SIMs)? Do all of them not support 3G or 4G SIM cards? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

shartlza said:
.....Do all of them not support 3G or 4G SIM cards? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
When I take the sim card out of my RF-V16 and place it in an adapter so it will fit in my unlocked GoPhone, the phone shows 3G network. So I would say the card works for at least those two, maybe more, networks on T-Mobile. I can't tell you what you would get with your plan because I only use mine as a pay as you go. Buy a $10.00 card and T-Mobile pulls $3.00 a month from the account. 10 cents when you text the tracker and 10 cents when it answers you as to where your quad ran off to.

I've written a full review/guide to the RF-V16, heres the main points:

- A microSIM card is required and it MUST have a data plan, 2G/3G/4G works
- The RF-V16 uses AGPS to quickly obtain satellite information
- When getting position, the GPS chips only wakes for 30 seconds to conserve battery life
- The position is uploaded to gps123.org every 10 minutes by default, here you can view historical data and live tracking
- The minimum upload frequency you can set is every 1 minute

Heres my full review/guide:

http://blog.sam-thompson.info/rf-v16-gps-tracker-guide/

samteeeee said:
I've written a full review/guide to the RF-V16, heres the main points:

- A microSIM card is required and it MUST have a data plan, 2G/3G/4G works
- The RF-V16 uses AGPS to quickly obtain satellite information
- When getting position, the GPS chips only wakes for 30 seconds to conserve battery life
- The position is uploaded to gps123.org every 10 minutes by default, here you can view historical data and live tracking
- The minimum upload frequency you can set is every 1 minute

Heres my full review/guide:

Great write up, but a few questions. Can you turn the auto update location off? Also can i use any micro sim card because the amazon listing says it does not support 3g or 4g sim cards? In stead of buying a new sim with a plan can i just take the sim out of my phone and put it in there and if i have to find it i can text my number from another phone like my wifes?

I am using a standard prepaid MicroSIM card (3G) at Germany (T-Mobile/Congstar). No problems after initialisation within a mobile phone.
And yes, the automatic position uploading to the server can get turned off, but I am sure you will like the benefits by using this feature.
The RF-V16 always sends SMS answers to its stored master number. So if you will store your wifes' phone number as the master number you can use your wifes' phone for getting the actual position.

Regards, Gerd

What Gerd said....

Also, I tried with my wife's 4G AT&T sim card and it worked, and switched my T-Mobile SIM from 2G to 3G and it worked.

Yep data upload can be switched off. A data plan on your SIM is only required because of the assisted GPS functionality that the RF-V16 uses.

samteeeee said:
I've written a full review/guide to the RF-V16.....Heres my full review/guide:

Very well done review.
There is one point for sure that I have to disagree with a statement in the review: "....having a data plan with your sim card, that is definitely required."
I have a T-Mobile card in my unit and it does not have a data plan and it works without any problem.

Interesting, thanks for letting me know. I wasnt able to get mine working without data.

I have the following statement from the manufacturer regarding this subject:

"Would you activation the data function with your SIM card.
The GPS need AGPS data via GPRS data function.
Otherwise,the GPS chip will hard to get the GPS data."

So it seems your device is able to gather enough GPS data without assisted GPS in the 30 second window. Mine wasnt.

Have you found it to be accurate?

Most of the time it is within 25 feet.
Maybe the data part of it has something to do with the app and site. I think the name is grs123.org. I never could get it to work, so I don't use it. I only use Google maps for the location.

Yeah there is the data upload to gps123.org and there is the use of data to get satellite information from the assisted GPS server. They are two different things.

Since your SIM card does not have a data plan, there will be nothing uploaded to gps123.org - rendering it useless for you anyway!

Well.....That is why it doesn't work, then. :D

RIDETOEAT said:
UPDATE: I pinged it again in the same place 45 minutes later and it was off 23 parking spots to the north. I am actually kind of disappointed here on day two and scanning for the other post I made to edit for accuracy of my feed back. Not nearly as impressed now. Sure it tells me I am in the S&S parking lot vicinity but 225 feet makes for a 450 foot circle. I expected better. ?? Any Ideas.

Wish mine was that close. I have mine sitting on my car dashboard at work. I'm 1/4 mile away in the middle of a highway.

Mine also is showing offline in the android app even though it is responding to commands. Any suggestions? Even the online version doesn't show any updated info.

RF-V16. The gps finally updated to a more accurate setting buts its showing me offline in the app. Weird.

set language to english by sending
lag,2#

turn tracking on by sending gon# by sms from your Phone to the tracker.
also make sure you put the micro sim in a Phone before use and disable the sim pin code check, also verify that the accesspoint for 2g/3g internet is set or update it with the command
apn,<apnname>,user,<username>,pd,<password>,pip,<pip>,port,<port>,plmn,<plmn>#
for me it was sufficient to only send this for Vodafone
apn,live.vodafone.com#
to the device

defaultpassword,t,newpassword
Change the password, factory default is 123456

aj#
Set pus to answer incoming call

mt#
Auto-answer and hands free incoming call

dw#
Check position, make sure device is switched on, test before flying

tim,XX#
XX is time in minutes for autoupdate, default 10 minutes, time you have to wait before the latest coordinates are send to gps123.org

gon#
Turn tracking on (so you see every update that it sends to gps123.org online, please set time to 10 min or so, if you set it to 5 or lower the battery life is lowered to 5 hours or so)

goff#
Turn tracking off (still able to send dw# but auto timed uploads are shut down, no online gps123.org updates)

other tips in the manual ;-)

Reactions: li2099

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj