GPS tracker - RF-V16

Anyone know of any SIM card requirements to get this unit up and going? Services that must be enabled etc?
I feel like there really isn't much to troubleshoot here - especially since it works with one SIM and not the other.
Again, any suggestions are appreciated.
I use an H2O wireless card with text and phone, but no data. Works fine. One note, it is easiest if you activate the card with H2O in a phone, not in the tracker. Then you can be completely sure that it is fully functional.

Anyone else using an RF-V16? I have a Flytrex but will add an RF-V16 just in case, as the Flytrex doesn't have a GPS chip inside and uses the data from the quad itself. (mine is a P3)

Anyone else using an RF-V16? I have a Flytrex but will add an RF-V16 just in case, as the Flytrex doesn't have a GPS chip inside and uses the data from the quad itself. (mine is a P3)

I'm using one. It works well, after I spent some time trying to figure out the vague instructions. When I'm flying my Phantom, I keep the intervals for the RF-V16 transmitting its location at 1 minute. When I had it set to 10 minutes, I had it showing locations that were miles away. Now it displays its location on Google Maps within a few feet.

The best rate for a cell plan I found was at H2Owirelessnow.com. I got their $10 plan which gives X amount of data, and is good for 90 days.

I use an iPad Air, but don't have an iPhone anymore, so I had to come up with a Rube Goldberg workaround to get the location to the iPad.

I'm using one. It works well, after I spent some time trying to figure out the vague instructions. When I'm flying my Phantom, I keep the intervals for the RF-V16 transmitting its location at 1 minute. When I had it set to 10 minutes, I had it showing locations that were miles away. Now it displays its location on Google Maps within a few feet.

The best rate for a cell plan I found was at H2Owirelessnow.com. I got their $10 plan which gives X amount of data, and is good for 90 days.

I use an iPad Air, but don't have an iPhone anymore, so I had to come up with a Rube Goldberg workaround to get the location to the iPad.
I definitely agree on the H2O plan. Cheap and long lasting.

Do you have any intereference problems with it updating location so often? I set mine for a long time frame (20 minutes) figuring that the bird would be on the ground before the next update, so no intereference.

I bought this for mounting and I'm very happy with it:
3302f1a3ad7f394af355ce9d3e7724ca.jpg

It's a bit pricey but it's very well made. It is a 3D print but it's of higher quality than others that I've seen.
To order his stuff you've got to join his Facebook group and send him a PM.

If the link doesn't work, the group is:
a40e65ff9685eb1c8d675e022b58fd19.jpg

$32 AND having to join their Facebook? Yikes... not sure if it's worth the trouble or price, but it does look good though. I'll have to think about it. Wish I could find the 3D print file somewhere and do it myself...

I do thank you for that though... thinking...

I went to their web site. So you just got the $10 pay-as-you-go plan with the SIM card? Says 10 cents/mb data. Can't tell what's included. Sorry to be a pain... :(

I was thinking of maybe trying to mix these 2 together:

Guard for GPS Tracker RFv16

DJI Phantom TK102 GPS Tracker mounting bracket

A teacher at the school I work for has students that could do it...
Looks like that's the best way to go.
I wish I had access to a 3D printer!

I've seen that $13.50 option on a friends P3 and its ok too. Although, it was really a rough finish and the screw holes were not workable without adding washers (or some other material).

Believe me, I'm with you in thinking $32 is a lot - considering the RF V16 was around $50!
I rationalized it by the fact that it's a one time purchase and it honestly looks like it could have come straight from DJI.
I'm a bit of a sucker for aesthetics, and I'm ok with that. [emoji6]

Good luck with the print project!

I'm a bit of a sucker for aesthetics, and I'm ok with that. [emoji6]

Oh me too! I don't want it looking like crap, or throwing off weight or balance. It might take a while, but I will check on Monday about the design. I am a computer tech for a school department, and at our high school we have one MakerBot 2, 2 SolidDoodles (which really suck...), and at our middle school we just set up 2 MakerBot Z18's. I've already printed a gimbal lock, a housing for my ImmersionRC 600, and a mount for my Black Pearl on my controller... :)

Oh me too! I don't want it looking like crap, or throwing off weight or balance. It might take a while, but I will check on Monday about the design. I am a computer tech for a school department, and at our high school we have one MakerBot 2, 2 SolidDoodles (which really suck...), and at our middle school we just set up 2 MakerBot Z18's. I've already printed a gimbal lock, a housing for my ImmersionRC 600, and a mount for my Black Pearl on my controller... :)

If you want to add a tracker to your quad and not pay any fees then look at the Marco Polo tracker.it has a range of 2 miles and can find the tag even in a tree.

Yes but there are no monthly fees nor does it require cell coverage which all the others do. The weight of the tag is 12g has a battery life of 30 days.

RFV16 tag is 27g

TK102 tag is 68g

when choosing a sim card from h20wirelessnow, which phone do you say it is for?
I have the Marco Polo and use it. its ok. but its signal is not really all that strong.

when choosing a sim card from h20wirelessnow, which phone do you say it is for?
I have the Marco Polo and use it. its ok. but its signal is not really all that strong.

But it comes in handy when there's no cell signal.

I went to their web site. So you just got the $10 pay-as-you-go plan with the SIM card? Says 10 cents/mb data. Can't tell what's included. Sorry to be a pain... :(
No worries. You don't need data. You communicate via texting. I have the $10 for three month plan. Works great.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4