GPS tracker - RF-V16

when choosing a sim card from h20wirelessnow, which phone do you say it is for?
I have the Marco Polo and use it. its ok. but its signal is not really all that strong.
I activated it in my unlocked cell phone, then just stuck it in the tracker.

when choosing a sim card from h20wirelessnow, which phone do you say it is for? They require that bit of info when ordering.

Don't choose a phone. I just ordered one 5 minutes ago, left the phone part at "select one", and the order went through.

Just BE CAREFUL... the default shipping method is "STANDARD OVERNIGHT" which costs $25. Regular shipping is $10, which is WAY too much anyway, but that's the only reasonable choice.

If you are buying anything on Amazon, you can get them there for a penny.

It sounds very interesting. I have a "Marco Polo" that works very nice but am very interested in this.
They advertise free cards and I wonder if that might be a way to keep the cost down as there would be very little use.

Tom
Hi Tom,

I have been considering the Marco Polo because it doesn't use gps or gsm for locating. Have you tested yours? Are you unhappy with it? Did you try the gps in this thread?

Scott

Worth looking at the Flytrex Live system

anyone having any luck accessing 123gps.org for the rf-v16? seems the site is down and the app wont work as well. thoughts? thanx! scott

after one year my RF-16V stop shoving position at http://www.gps123.org/ and android app too - it shows OFFLINE. It is possible only sms commands. Any idea where is problem (Data is Ofcourse at Sim card OK)

I would like to ask a question about these trackers (TK102,RF-V16, Trackimo)... They all seem to operate in the 2G GSM network using GPRS. From the info I have found, these devices are essentially obsolete since AT&T is shutting down the 2G service by the end of 2016. T-Mobile the other GSM service in the US also appears to be moving away from 2G and in any case their coverage is not nearly as good as AT&T.

So my question: Are these devices indeed essentially obsolete? Am I missing something that changes the way I am viewing these for US use?

Depends how you use it. They have a couple of operating modes. In one, it can continuously update its location on a web site. This could become obsolete. The other is text message based positioning (send it a text, it replies with its position). That should continue to work.

Reactions: reboot81
I would like to ask a question about these trackers (TK102,RF-V16, Trackimo)... They all seem to operate in the 2G GSM network using GPRS. From the info I have found, these devices are essentially obsolete since AT&T is shutting down the 2G service by the end of 2016. T-Mobile the other GSM service in the US also appears to be moving away from 2G and in any case their coverage is not nearly as good as AT&T.

So my question: Are these devices indeed essentially obsolete? Am I missing something that changes the way I am viewing these for US use?
I asked the trackimo guy about that and was told that the devices are now 3g .. I am a little bit suspect but that was the answer I got

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I asked the trackimo guy about that and was told that the devices are now 3g .. I am a little bit suspect but that was the answer I got

Dave I do not use any of the devices most use or have commented on. The reason simple economics I dislike buying something then have to pay monthly fees to use it. Then there's the problem of cell coverage some rural areas have no coverage or very poor coverage.

Now I'm not in the market for a tracker but if I were I would look at a Marco Polo it cost more then most, there are no fees it's good up two miles, the battery life on the tracker 30 days and weighs less then all but the flytrex.

Your post prompted my own phone call to Trackimo regarding the 2g issue and I learned a lot of interesting information.

The 2g shutdown, according to the gentleman I talked with, is going to be put off for at least 3 years in the US (he said 4 in Canada.) Apparently there has been significant push back to the planned shutdown primarily because 2g service is very widely used in security systems; he used a figure of 7 million subscribers.

He said that Trackimo is developing a 3G version that is to be available in about 7 months or so and that their plans are to have a trade in program for their 2g units for the new ones. They regret that 2g is ultimately going to disappear as battery life for this kind of use is much better with 2g units than with 3g ones. He also indicated that the cellular range of 2g units is better than the 3g ones

I also learned that with Trackimo you buy not only the unit but also 1 years service which includes their server and cellular... It's a package which prompted a question from me: What about the units available on eBay without the service and a lower price. He indicated that these units are old Radio Shack inventory from when they closed out their inventory after their bankruptcy. He said that those units can be reactivated (within their system and with cell service) but that would be $100 so the cost ends up being significantly higher than it is normally purchasing from them.

One other question I asked is that my use is for drones and that because i live in Wisconsin that I may only fly 8 months a year yet the service subscription is for a full year... Do they have the ability to suspend the service. He will let me know as he did not have the answer to that...

At least from Trackimo's perspective, 2g still has some life left.

I called AT&T because I wanted to verify what I had been told about 2g and they said the current end of life information they had is January 1, 2017 and that this date is an extension from the planned shutdown of 2016. I am more likely to make a decision based on AT&Ts comments than Trackimo's but decisions may have been made at AT&T that have not yet filtered down to customer service there. In any case January 1, 2017 is the best information I have.

Need some help. I have an RF-16 for my Phantom but the Power On/Off switch quit working so it was a pain to keep the battery charged. Other than that it worked great. I purchased a second one but I cannot get it to work. I am using the same SIM Card that works in the first, but the tracker will not reply to messages. It does ring when I make a phone call to its number, but will not reply to any messages (dsp#, etc). Also the blue light never starts the fast flash. What I don't understand is I thought all the critical info (APN, etc) was on the SIM card, which still works great in my old tracker. Very puzzled.

I had to reassign the APN with a new unit using my previously used SIM. Try setting it up as a brand new unit. It might not solve the problem but it couldn't hurt.

From a telematics company infoletter:

Will 2G disappear completely?
No. Several carriers have made commitments to support 2G spectrum, largely to support the millions of M2M connected devices. Because of the low bandwidth requirements of most M2M applications, even a small sliver of spectrum can support hundreds of millions of M2M devices. Sprint is pursuing the opportunity seemingly vacated by AT&T, and has indicated they intend to maintain a 2G network for the long term – at least through 2020. T-Mobile, while it is dedicating a large portion of its spectrum to 4G, has also committed to keeping a significant portion of spectrum devoted to 2G to serve its M2M customers long term. Verizon has said it will turn down their 2G and 3G networks by 2021.

Who Will Be Most Affected?
The transition to 4G is great for companies requiring high speed and quality connections like video or advertising, but it has enormous cost implications in the M2M industry. M2M applications with low data transfer rates don’t require a lot of bandwidth; they may never need the speed of 4G. Furthermore, the cost structure of many M2M applications and devices cannot support the cost of upgrading. Companies with devices utilizing one of the 2G networks that are scheduled to be decommissioned will be stranded when those networks are shut down unless they find cost-effective replacement solutions or upgrade their devices.

Why is it a big deal?
Analysys Mason recently forecast that the number of M2M device connections will grow from 200 million 2013, to 2.2 billion devices in 2023. Of this massive number of connected M2M devices, more than 90 percent are on older 2G networks. AT&T has the largest 2G GSM network in the nation with over 15 million connected devices. Their decision to decommission 2G, along with the shuttered networks of other carriers in the next 10 years could potentially require companies to replace an estimated 10 to 12 million 2G GPRS devices at a cost of several billion dollars to the M2M industry over the next couple years.

What Are My Options?
Companies attempting to navigate the changes of the 2G sunset will be glad to know there are options to transition in a cost effective way. In the long run, most companies will eventually be forced to deploy new devices. Here are some options:
• Stay on 2G GSM using another carrier for new activations – Some companies have continued commitment to 2G.
As a global option, Telefonica, EE and Rogers will have 2G up and running for the distant future. This option would require a SIM swap, which is likely the most inexpensive option.
• Upgrade devices to 3G GSM - While a jump to 3G may just delay an eventual jump to an LTE product, 3G is a practical and very viable alternative to 2G. Particularly if the devices come in for periodic service or have an in-field service range of under 10 years.
• LTE is quickly becoming the option of choice. While module costs are still a bit more, they are quickly declining with the release of new products.

So just stop supporting AT&T.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj