GPS tracker - RF-V16

I've been using this tracker for about six weeks, testing it every time before I begin flying, and so far it has been very accurate. AFAIK, you cannot turn off that sound while it's charging....I just leave my shop while it's charging to keep from smashing it out of irritation from that tune! LOL

I'm very interested to see anyone's updated status on this tracker. It seems to be one of the better deals out there right now. I would appreciate any updates you guys can post. Also where has everyone been getting these that are reliable sources and not some junk knock off product. Thanks guys!

Got mine off eBay from China which takes a while. I check mine for function every day before flying and so far it's been within 5-10 meters every time. I'm very pleased with my purchase and I would recommend it.

I also have one. I still can not get the web page working with it but the unit functions perfectly without it. You send it a text and it will text you back a google map link with the coordinates. It seems to be right in line with accuracy of other gps devices in its class (about 10-15ft). I also like the fact that you can have it send you battery life and gps signal quality in a text.

Ordered mine from banggood at the end of June, still waiting for it to arrive..........

Look forward to swapping out my TK102 as this looks quite a bit smaller and lighter. My P2 needs all the weigh loss it can get!!! :D

I'm looking into ordering one off Ebay and confirmed that it does require a valid GSM subscription to a wireless carrier. Here in Canada the cheapest is FIDO with their $15/mo plan that offers unlimited texting. If you wanted to call it to listen to the microphone for some reason that would cost you an addition .20c / min. So basically a $15/mo insurance plan. I'm impressed with the research and applications that I've read in the posts above. Seems like a really smart idea if your Phantom goes down in a field of tall grass/forested area, etc.

I've also watched a number of youtube vids of crashes. It seems that the gimbals rarely survive well but for the most part the Phantom shell seems to weather most incidents. Replace a gimbal maybe a prop or two and you're back in the air. Not bad at all! Even better, don't crash lol :)

"Replace a gimbal...and your back in the air" This is to a trival task and it will cost you 1/2 of a new vision+!

I should have some reviews on this next week, but from what I have read so far, I think this unit is going to be the best, cheap, light, true GPS unit out there right now. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

So i got my tracker yesterday and went and got a T-mobile prepaid sim today. So far I have found through lots of trial and error, that you MUST have data on your SIM if you want to use the website tracking at http://www.gps123.org and I have not been able to get the android app to install. I scan the code and it downloads the apk but when i click it my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 says it can not open file. I don't know why it wont install. But most likely i would need data on the SIM for the app to work properly as well. The good news is that when i text the RF-V16 is does text me back a google maps link with very accurate position. (within 15-20 feet) With that kind of accuracy, it will be easy to get close enough and then call the RF-V16 to listen for the ringer and walk right to the location. (even if its up a tree)

So i am checking into Lycamobile, because from what i have been told by their CSR is that as long as you can find a SIM card that is not "PLUS" version, which is their newest type card, then you should be able to load $10 on the SIM and as long as you send a text or a phone call in that 90 day period, then that balance should roll over to the next 90 days. And the best part is that incoming texts are free, and outgoing are only 4c a text (less than half of what Tmobile charges (10c) and they charge both ways). Calls are 5c a minute and according to the CSR there is DATA as well at 6c a mb. So if she is correct this is the perfect SIM for people like me that don't fly every day and wouldn't need to be tracking it all the time. I could see $10 lasting me quite a long time.

So yeah i wasted 22 bucks on tmobile SIM today, but i guess i'll just keep testing until its used up, but I am hoping to get a Lycamobile SIM from a local store tomorrow. Just have to make sure its not a "PLUS" new card.

Hope this helps you guys. But it is very small and weighs next to nothing. Accuracy seems good as long as you are outside, as I have not had good luck in the house getting a GPS lock.

Got mine last week from bang good - not had many chances to test it, but when i have it seems as accurate as my old TK102. The ability to call it is great. The size and weight is the deal breaker for me, no more shelf as i now have room to velcro it underneath next to my immersion vtx.

p2fullyloaded said:
I'm looking into ordering one off Ebay and confirmed that it does require a valid GSM subscription to a wireless carrier. Here in Canada the cheapest is FIDO with their $15/mo plan that offers unlimited texting. If you wanted to call it to listen to the microphone for some reason that would cost you an addition .20c / min. So basically a $15/mo insurance plan. I'm impressed with the research and applications that I've read in the posts above. Seems like a really smart idea if your Phantom goes down in a field of tall grass/forested area, etc.

I've also watched a number of youtube vids of crashes. It seems that the gimbals rarely survive well but for the most part the Phantom shell seems to weather most incidents. Replace a gimbal maybe a prop or two and you're back in the air. Not bad at all! Even better, don't crash lol :)

So 15 a month, in 10 months its $150. why not get this for $127 and no cell fees? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKNQVCA/ref ... 8T3ERE3AMC

does anyoen know the size/weight comparisons for these 2?

Hawkeye 1 said:
I've been using this tracker for about six weeks, testing it every time before I begin flying, and so far it has been very accurate. AFAIK, you cannot turn off that sound while it's charging....I just leave my shop while it's charging to keep from smashing it out of irritation from that tune! LOL
I did not like that problem with this unit but, I don't know what I did to mine, pushed some buttons, did something, and mine no longer "tunes you brains out" when charging. All I get is both the yellow and blue lights blinking, no tune. Wish I knew what I did so it could be passed on, but ????? It does still tune when turned on or off.

I did not like that problem with this unit but, I don't know what I did to mine, pushed some buttons, did something, and mine no longer "tunes you brains out" when charging. All I get is both the yellow and blue lights blinking, no tune. Wish I knew what I did so it could be passed on, but ????? It does still tune when turned on or off.[/quote]

I charged mine last night and , like you, no tune and the same blinking lights....I wonder if it's programmed to do that for X amount of charges then stop? Whatever the reason, I'm glad and hope it's gone forever.

It was a little "buggie" to listen to.

What i dont understand is, with a sim used in this tracker, will it only access one GSM network, and only one network. Wheras the Drone Mods UAV Locator is" Carrier agnostic. Not forced to rely on a single carrier's network. Triangulates position using all available networks in the area." I would buy it but it weighs 56 grams, and the RF-V16 , only weighs 26, and would allow me to also carry a 12 gram radio wave based tracker.

I just got my drone mods tracker unit in an hour ago. It is laying on the console of my car charging at a Steak and Shake, I just pinged it and it is within 24 inches on this first test. My Bxx # is climbing as it charges and it works fine while charging too.

UPDATE: I pinged it again in the same place 45 minutes later and it was off 23 parking spots to the north. I am actually kind of disappointed here on day two and scanning for the other post I made to edit for accuracy of my feed back. Not nearly as impressed now. Sure it tells me I am in the S&S parking lot vicinity but 225 feet makes for a 450 foot circle. I expected better. ?? Any Ideas.

As far as directions, just call the # on the paper, wait for any kind of an answer and hang up. It will email and text within a minute and give the lat. lon. and battery % and a link to google earth and you will be advised with in 2 to 250 feet of your tracker as best I can tell. . All for now.

P.S. if you ping it in a moving car, it will make it's mark maybe 15-20 seconds after the call is answered. Can be off a 1/4 mile in this case and you will need to ping it twice to understand direction of travel. I used the supplied velcro to attach under my battery box on P2, this is less than perfect as I have to remove it to plug in if I choose to instead of pulling the SD card.

bryanchewy said:
So i got my tracker yesterday and went and got a T-mobile prepaid sim today. So far I have found through lots of trial and error, that you MUST have data on your SIM if you want to use the website tracking at http://www.gps123.org and I have not been able to get the android app to install. I scan the code and it downloads the apk but when i click it my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 says it can not open file. I don't know why it wont install. ....

Try using a file explorer on your phone and the android app should open and install from there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1