GPS and compass error

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to ask would a compass error happen without GPS, if I flew it manually I mean would I get errors?

Cheers

One of my worse purchases haha . .like I said its a shame its just the after sales experiences.

They want me to test it again before they either offer exchange etc . .its the logs i pulled from the drone from their engineer tests that were alarming!
One log says no gps was used then other was 4 mins long and the csv log file showed a compass stuck message.

Bryan, that's enough damning information right there take it back with those logs printed off.......

Leave it with them if it comes to it and say you are contacting trading standards! Maplin are making Jessops look like gold.

Regarding your original question, I don't think it would, BUT, I'm not sure. Was it flown in doors by chance?

I have no idea what Maplins specific policy is re drones, but given that most owners have a relatively happy experience leads us to assume yours was made just before shift end on a friday night or was shipped badly.
Sales of goods act and trading standards, Which and small claims court...all handy little ploys.
Electronic gear either works as it should or fails, yours failed out of the box. They were wrong sending it off if you took it back pretty quickly. What was the timeline from first flight to shop return by the way?

I bought My Phantom 3 adv from Maplins. My first one wouldn't record onto SD card properly. They replaced, no quibble. Second one had an eppy and flew straight up into tree, then crashed to the ground. With no input from Me. Smashed it up a bit. Seeing as if was obviously a software issue. They replaced again, no quibble again. Now I am on My third. Touch wood, no problems since.
Maplins seem very Hood. They didn't even suggest if bring fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I bought My Phantom 3 adv from Maplins. My first one wouldn't record onto SD card properly. They replaced, no quibble. Second one had an eppy and flew straight up into tree, then crashed to the ground. With no input from Me. Smashed it up a bit. Seeing as if was obviously a software issue. They replaced again, no quibble again. Now I am on My third. Touch wood, no problems since.
Maplins seem very Hood. They didn't even suggest if bring fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

And they didnt once send it back for inspection?
When did you purchase these as they told me the inspection policy is still new, I'm getting pretty annoyed now . .
They will not offer refund until I show them the compass errors are still happening :(

My annoyance isn't with DJI at all but with Maplins painful policy which at the minute looks like they are trying their best to get over that 30 day reject for refund law . . .I've literally got till Friday before that 30 days is up :(

It's a consumer right law that you have a one year warranty on an exchange or 14 days money back from purchase. Their is nothing maplins can do. They have to take it back. Best bet.... Go to a different maplins store. If you get hassle... Go to citizens advice not that it should get that far.

Neon Euc

The receipt you got from them is a lawful contract between you and them. Unless it states you have to go to DJI on the receipt (which it won't) then THEY HAVE TO TAKE IT BACK. man.... Wish I was their with you... I would lay all that **** on them. It worked for me when I had trouble with a tablet I got from then 5 months after warranty. Also.... Phone up head office and get them to email you a requested exchange.... Then after that... They have to take it back. And after that... When you get your exchange.. Do an official complaint. .as a good will gesture they will give you vouchers

Neon Euc

The receipt you got from them is a lawful contract between you and them. Unless it states you have to go to DJI on the receipt (which it won't) then THEY HAVE TO TAKE IT BACK. man.... Wish I was their with you... I would lay all that **** on them. It worked for me when I had trouble with a tablet I got from then 5 months after warranty. Also.... Phone up head office and get them to email you a requested exchange.... Then after that... They have to take it back. And after that... When you get your exchange.. Do an official complaint. .as a good will gesture they will give you vouchers

Neon Euc

Wish you was with me to give them hell haha! I'm now awaiting a call from the tech team to discuss the next step, my desire for a exchange has gone unless they say here you go have a advance no extra charge . . .

Oh it gets better . .he is a message back from their head office!! This is a joke!

Thank you for the recent Log. I can fully appreciate that you want this sorted as quick as possible, as do we.

While I cannot offer you a refund at this point, I would like to get the drone back, have our engineers do a FULL battery flight test as we clearly did not get the same errors within our flight test. You have gotten them 9 minutes in, we need to see if that might happen when we fly it.

If our engineers fly this and at any point we get a compass error we will more than happily refund you. The only reason we cannot now is simply due to the conflicting information we have from our test, to your test flights.

- Bradley

Are these people having a joke now!

and this is after you sent them a copy of their test where the compass stuck message is recorded?

I bought my P3S from Maplins. It was with them or Argos, but Argos put the price back up to £449, whilst Maplins were a little slower. I paid £399 and the following day they also increased!
It took a few days to arrive in store, and when I went to collect the sales assistant tried to alter the legal return policy as above. I explained my statutory rights as a consumer cannot be altered. I left with the Phantom, as no other major retailer were as cheap, and just said let's hope I don't have any problems with it.
It's usually the smaller shops that 'try it on'.

My fight has gone, I'm just gonna let them have the drone back, I've been given a managers name who is dealing with me direct now. Not sure after me quoting the sales of goods act they started to worry abit but he said their test will be a full battery test this time and as soon as they see the error he will be calling me to offer either a refund or he said help with a discount on a more expensive model.

I'm not gonna argue with them anymore now, not really in the mood to do so at the minute and I'm sure many will give me stick for backing down but hey if he comes back and tells me theres a error I can give them a lot of grief about their first so called test and see if they will give me a advance model for the trouble :)

Would you guys take the refund or if a advance model was offered at no extra would you take that?

Looks like things are finally moving in the fair and right direction for you.

Its a no brainer to take the advanced if offered IMO, I wouldn't be holding your breath though ;-)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yeah I'm definitely not holding my breath for a offer like that.
Maybe just the refund but still I'm going to be sad to see the standard go, even with the problems it was a great drone.

It's the part were they say we still can't find a error I'm waiting for . . .that could change everything and basically just get me an exchange after all of this.

Sorry to hear about this. Really had my hopes up for you on this one. Def take a refund, reason is you should buy from another retailer. I had 5 phantoms exchange from very.co.UK and they took them all back no questions asked. In fact... They sent me out a replacement on the day I shipped mine back to them. Very trusting of them. Go with them mate as soon as you get a refund. I got my advanced from them on the buy now pay 12 months later 0% APR. worth going down that route

Neon Euc

Sorry to hear about this. Really had my hopes up for you on this one. Def take a refund, reason is you should buy from another retailer. I had 5 phantoms exchange from very.co.UK and they took them all back no questions asked. In fact... They sent me out a replacement on the day I shipped mine back to them. Very trusting of them. Go with them mate as soon as you get a refund. I got my advanced from them on the buy now pay 12 months later 0% APR. worth going down that route

Neon Euc
Yeah I might go down that route cheers for the advice :)

Reactions: Neon Euc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers