Go Home headed in wrong direction

The first flight you posted shows you flying straight out until you lose signal at 4:40.1.
After 7.2 secs the video signal resturs at 4:47.4 with your Phantom already returning on the exact path to the home point.
The video shows that there was a slight pause as it turned but the Phantom never flew off in the wrong direction.
It appeared to act exactly as it is programmed.

Your second flight shows you flying out until you start to lose signal.
There are a number of breaks in signal at 8:01.5 (1.6 secs), 8:04.2 (7.7 secs) and 8:11.9 (26.2 secs).
When signal is restored at 8:38.1 your Phantom is in RTH and has flown 100 metres closer to the home point.
It is returning on the reverse of the course it was travelling when signal was lost.
At 8:53.5 it stops suddenly as the pitch indication shows.
At 9:03.04 it turns about 30 degrees while stopped and resumes flying toward home.
This appears to be doing exactly as it is programmed to.
On losing signal, it has retraced the path it was on and when it acquired signal, it has commenced a straight line RH to the home point.

I can't see anything to worry about and there's nothing DJI need to do.
Your Phantom behaved perfectly both times and never was in any danger of getting lost.

Yes Meta4, you're completely correct....
I'm sorry to misunderstand this behavior as an issue...

And for the O.P, i guess my case isn't exactly as yours... I wish you'll find the answer soon.

Yes Meta4, you're completely correct....
I'm sorry to misunderstand this behavior as an issue...
It's all a good learning experience and one that you'll remember.
The more you understand how RTH works, the safer your flights can be.

It's all a good learning experience and one that you'll remember.
The more you understand how RTH works, the safer your flights can be.

Yes, i tested again this afternoon with some different circumstances :
- Fly some curved path
- Turn RC off
- Fold RC's antenna without turning off, in order to make it disconnected from the AC.
- Fly lower than the RTH alt.
- Fly higher than the RTH alt.

Those gave me various results.

From what I understand... If you flew curve paths.. Say at 90 meters and your RTH path is set to 120 meteres...

Doesn't the drone raise to 120 meters and do a straight line home? Just curious as that happens to me.

However if I flew higher then 120 meters and the RTH kicks in, then it won't drop to 120 meters and carry on flying at the same altitude until it gets to it's landing point. Could be wrong but thats how it worked for me when I tested it

@sinxa, I’m happy that @Meta4 able to sort this out for you, and that your confidence is restored. It would appear that although @Meta4 was able to review and validate my claim of a RTH gone wrong, it was unique by all accounts, and I don’t think we will ever know why it happened. I’m pleased to accept that because it was unique and despite my efforts, I was never able to duplicate it.

The facts of my data definitely supported my claim, however, because I stopped my wrong RTH direction, we will never know it it would have self corrected or resulted in a fly away. Back in my days of working on IT we had a simple in house term for unexplainable glitches, “the system has gone insane”. I would say that was a fair statement for the day of my event.

Hats off to Meta for another truthful and accurate evaluation of the available data.

Thank you to you too for taking the time to bring an event to the table that ultimately demonstrated that the Phantom performance was spot on for the given scenario.

Happy flying!

Reactions: sinxa

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164