Glitchy P3 Advance, Need Advice

Reaction score
I have a P3A that I bought off of Ebay to work on. It had an ESC Error. I got rid of the error(still not sure how) but now I have other issues that pop up.

The controller has "weak signal" when it's a few feet away, The controller stick setting keeps going back to 1, I change it to 2 and it goes back to 1 when it wants. It seems like every time I turn it on I have to "link" the controller.

I thought I had it fixed, went to test fly it and it would not hold position, it slowly crept away. I couldn't control it because the stick setting had changed and I ended up running it slowly into the front of my truck, it landed upside down on the concrete and I had a heck of a time trying to get the props to shut off. I held the stick straight down but, since the stick setting glitch I didn't realize they changed.

I've tried a different controller and have the same type of issues. Some of it is random, it's not consistently doing anything.

Help!!! Where Do I even start with something like this? I don't have enough experience yet to know what order or what direction to head with sorting this out.

Interesting. First thing I would try would be a "cold" IMU calibration. Second, re-calibrate the controller. Third.....Test. If the issue persists,
try re-flashing both the AC and RC firmware. If the issue still exhists, most likely there is indeed a problem with the ESC. Just a few things if you have not tried these.

Reactions: Joker2415
Interesting. First thing I would try would be a "cold" IMU calibration. Second, re-calibrate the controller. Third.....Test. If the issue persists,
try re-flashing both the AC and RC firmware. If the issue still exhists, most likely there is indeed a problem with the ESC. Just a few things if you have not tried these.

One thing that I was just trying to look up is how to redo the firmware. I may be thinking wrong because I don't know enough or the correct terms . But I wanted to "wipe it clean" and start over. I'm not sure how to do this. If I just try to load the firmware again it just gives the "Same version or ....". So right now I'm trying to learn how to "over write" or start fresh.

This may sound strange.......I can't get to the IMU Calibration on this one for some reason. It doesn't give me the option in the App. I can do it, and have done it on the P3P's I have. But when I tried to find it it for the Advance? It wasn't there!!!!!!! Haha....No idea where it went!!!

But I wanted to "wipe it clean" and start over. I'm not sure how to do this.
Bottom line here is, you can't. You either have to re-load the current firmware or upgrade it. I have no idea why the IMU calibration option isn't there.

On a similar note. What version of firmware are you using? If it is 1.10.9 on the AC, see the notes below. Could this be the ESC issue? Maybe...maybe not.

NOTES.PNG

I'm using 1.11.30(?) on the AC. I tried the 1.11.20 and I read in the forums that sometimes this caused a problem. I went onto the DJI forum and through PM they will give you the 1.11.30(?) as a fix. I'm not completely sure if that's what fixed the ESC error since I was playing around with everything else at the same time.. I hasn't shown up since, but now I have these other issues.

So...It may not have actually needed the "patch" and I may have caused other issues by loading it, if it wasn't the cause of my ESC issue. I'm not sure.

So...It may not have actually needed the "patch" and I may have caused other issues by loading it,
Possibly, but not being able to calibrate the IMU is a major stumbling block IMO. Have you taken a look at the flight logs by chance? That may give you some insight as to what may be going on.

Possibly, but not being able to calibrate the IMU is a major stumbling block IMO. Have you taken a look at the flight logs by chance? That may give you some insight as to what may be going on.

I was trying to learn how to do that yesterday. I pulled the Micro sd card from the AC,(bottom of circuit board). When I loaded it into the program, I had no idea how to read the logs. Some of it I could figure out by guessing from the phrases. I'm still trying to learn that and what the best programs to use are..

The reason why I pulled the SD card from the board ad tried to read it that way is because I was parting the drone at that point and just thought I'd give reading the card a try. Part way through, after reading a few threads, I decided to put the drone back together and try a few things. When I got it all back together is when the ESC error was gone. That's why I'm not sure if something I did internally fixed it, maybe, or if it was the "patch" for the update.

This one is one that I don't care a whole lot about and was trying to learn from it. I don't want to destroy it but not afraid to try anything on it.

Last edited:
There are also logs on the device you are using, as you may or may not know. At times it is difficult to determine which of the log files from the AC are the correct one for a particular flight. If you pulled the ( Internal SD card) which I am assuming is the one you are referencing. These should have .dat files. You need a decoder to read those. I do analysis on either those or the .txt logs from the device. The AC files are in much greater detail. If you care to share those, you will need to upload them to a sharable location such as Drop Box or Google drive and share the link back here. There are quite a few of us who look at these for flight profiles, crashes, etc..and so forth. If I do not get to it myself, I can refer these to a few others, if you like.

Ooops...I probably shouldn't admit this.......IMU is there...I was looking in the wrong spot. I'm trying a 3rd controller now...Just to see what happens. This one hasn't switched the stick settings.

I may have multiple issues a controller or an app issue, and maybe even two controllers have issues. I haven't had this stuff all that long and haven't spent enough time with any of it.

There are also logs on the device you are using, as you may or may not know. At times it is difficult to determine which of the log files from the AC are the correct one for a particular flight. If you pulled the ( Internal SD card) which I am assuming is the one you are referencing. These should have .dat files. You need a decoder to read those. I do analysis on either those or the .txt logs from the device. The AC files are in much greater detail. If you care to share those, you will need to upload them to a sharable location such as Drop Box or Google drive and share the link back here. There are quite a few of us who look at these for flight profiles, crashes, etc..and so forth. If I do not get to it myself, I can refer these to a few others, if you like.

I'll try to figure out how to do that. It may take me a little while. I'm new to a lot of different things. HAaha

Thank you!!!

Edited ........I deleted the unneeded links to create room in Dropbox

I'm not sure if I did those right. It also seems I'm missing some. I'll add them here as I get them uploaded

Last edited:
@BudWalker, @Oso, @sar104, I know there is at least one more of the data groupies, just can't remember.
I think @Fly Dawg usually disappears by now.

Rod

@BudWalker, @Oso, @sar104, I know there is at least one more of the data groupies, just can't remember.
I think @Fly Dawg usually disappears by now.

Rod

Thank you.

I just tried a different remote(3rd remote) and everything worked fine. went back and tried the other 2 and it also works with them now. It just does whatever it wants when it wants. haha....

Now, I'll try to test fly it again tomorrow and it's a flip of the coin if it will work or not, or if the remote will even link up with out linking it every time I turn it on.

Who knows! It's a fun puzzle though!!!

ok....Here is where I'm at right now...after playing with this thing all day, switching around and trying 4 different remotes........I can't get anything to happen consistently. The drone either turns on and works perfect or it may turn on and be "glitchy"....Battery error, weak remote signal, the app, freezes and stops or switches to "inspire 1" drone and doesn't recognize it as an P3 A.

This randomly does this with all 4 controllers, I'm using the same tablet with 3 other P3P's with no previous issue. After all of this I really think it's in the drone or with whatever is in the drone or the app that tells it that it's an Advanced. .......I think......:eek:

@Joker2415 I have looked at 4 of these files thus far and none are actual flights. They are only power ups. It is time consuming to randomly select a correct flight file. If you actually fly again and experience the drifting and errors. Upload your log file from your device at the link below and provide a link back here to that. This would be a better "starting" point such that we can see the actual errors that you are seeing. Also, upload the corresponding .dat file from the AC. That can be retrieved by USB cable to the AC.

DJI Flight Log Viewer

@Joker2415 I have looked at 4 of these files thus far and none are actual flights. They are only power ups. It is time consuming to randomly select a correct flight file. If you actually fly again and experience the drifting and errors. Upload your log file from your device at the link below and provide a link back here to that. This would be a better "starting" point such that we can see the actual errors that you are seeing. Also, upload the corresponding .dat file from the AC. That can be retrieved by USB cable to the AC.

DJI Flight Log Viewer

Ok, That makes a little more sense. haha After seeing how slow my computer is at uploading to dropbox. I misunderstood post #9, and was trying to get the whole list of them in drop box. sorry about that I'll find the log for the last flight or try another test flight and upload that log. For some reason I thought you wanted all of them. haha. .

I'll start over with the logs.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
Ok, That makes a little more sense. haha After seeing how slow my computer is at uploading to dropbox. I misunderstood post #9, and was trying to get the whole list of them in drop box. sorry about that I'll find the log for the last flight or try another test flight and upload that log. For some reason I thought you wanted all of them. haha. .

I'll start over with the logs, like you mentioned in post 9 it is hard to figure out which one is last, or last flight for some reason the dates and times don't match up to the actual date and time. I'm noticing that with my updates also.
Maybe this will help
How to retrieve a .DAT

Ok, I'm almost sure I have the correct one. It's hard for me to tell since I don't know how to read them yet.
I had to erase all the previous links because I ran out of space in Dropbox. I'll go back through the thread and erase those. I've made a mess out of this thread..Sorry, about that...

Dropbox - FLY089.DAT

I flew it about 40ft from "home" at about 3 to 4ft high. It ended up on the ground upside down. If the log shows something similar? It's the correct one. I'll work on trying to learn how to decipher it next...

For some reason I can't get the DJI link to work. It takes me there, I upload the file , then it gives me a "timeout" screen or something similar. I've tried it a few times and end up with the same result. The second link in the thread to Datcon works for me, I'm still playing around with the program trying to learn how to use it.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31