Glitchy P3 Advance, Need Advice

Ok, I'm almost sure I have the correct one. It's hard for me to tell since I don't know how to read them yet.
I had to erase all the previous links because I ran out of space in Dropbox. I'll go back through the thread and erase those. I've made a mess out of this thread..Sorry, about that...

Dropbox - FLY089.DAT

I flew it about 40ft from "home" at about 3 to 4ft high. It ended up on the ground upside down. If the log shows something similar? It's the correct one. I'll work on trying to learn how to decipher it next...

For some reason I can't get the DJI link to work. It takes me there, I upload the file , then it gives me a "timeout" screen or something similar. I've tried it a few times and end up with the same result. The second link in the thread to Datcon works for me, I'm still playing around with the program trying to learn how to use it.

I have come across similar issues before and had to replace the complete mother board inside the drone. If you pull the halves back apart, (yeah, hateful job), check the accellerometer , (1" sq. black box), that sits in the middle of the board. Check all the solder connections and make sure it hasn't punched through the board. This can happen in crashes where the bird lands upside down. The distance between the GPS module and the accellerometer is minimal. All it takes is one contact to be broken and you have issues.

Good luck,
Jim

I have come across similar issues before and had to replace the complete mother board inside the drone. If you pull the halves back apart, (yeah, hateful job), check the accellerometer , (1" sq. black box), that sits in the middle of the board. Check all the solder connections and make sure it hasn't punched through the board. This can happen in crashes where the bird lands upside down. The distance between the GPS module and the accellerometer is minimal. All it takes is one contact to be broken and you have issues.

Good luck,
Jim

Thank you! I'll check that.

I have a pin point soldering iron, I'll dig it out and reflow the contacts and see if that helps. What your saying may be the problem...It was showing an esc error, I took the drone apart, to part it out. After I had the thing completely apart, even the accellerometer off of the board, I changed my mind and put it all back together. After it was together the Esc error went away, but I then had other issues. Messing with that area may have slightly moved things around. I wasn't sure if the update patch fixed it either since I did both at the same time.

I'll pull it back apart, I'm getting faster at that. I use an old prop and work it around the halves to get them apart without marking the halves or breaking tabs. The first one I pulled apart I made a mess of it!!

added.....I think you may have called it....I'll reflow and see..

I tried to picture the joints, it didn't show up well but they appear to be cracked...The fourth joint in from the left is cracked for sure, I can see it with a loupe, the picture doesn't show it well.It also looks like someone has re-flowed some of these joints before. So, it's been worked on before I bought it.
Dropbox - glitchy advanced 007.JPG
Dropbox - glitchy advanced 006.JPG
Dropbox - glitchy advanced 009.JPG
Dropbox - glitchy advanced 010.JPG
The other two pictures show how hard the black box was pushing into the top. The decal on the box left an imprint in the foam.

I'll check the gps module too. Just to see if there is any damage or loose connections on it.

Last edited:
What device are you using.I wonder if it is his device and not the bird at all.You need a device that is recommended.You need to turn off backup and app refresh.If it is a phone every thing must be turned off.Like mgs Bluetooth.I had some similar problems using a phone.Now I use ipad4 mini and all those different problems went away.And flying at 3 or 4 feet is gonna cause prop wash problems.When I teach people how to fly, I tell them get above everything including trees.I know you were testing but that's hard to fly that low with bird that works.Maybe you did mentioned what device you are using.Try turning off the above mentioned.That could be why it happens sometimes, another app running will overload your devices limits.GL.

Reactions: Joker2415
What device are you using.I wonder if it is his device and not the bird at all.You need a device that is recommended.You need to turn off backup and app refresh.If it is a phone every thing must be turned off.Like mgs Bluetooth.I had some similar problems using a phone.Now I use ipad4 mini and all those different problems went away.And flying at 3 or 4 feet is gonna cause prop wash problems.When I teach people how to fly, I tell them get above everything including trees.I know you were testing but that's hard to fly that low with bird that works.Maybe you did mentioned what device you are using.Try turning off the above mentioned.That could be why it happens sometimes, another app running will overload your devices limits.GL.
I'm using a Gpad F 8.0...tablet, .Which isn't the greatest but I haven't had any issues with any other drones, I have 6 of them total 5 pro's and 1 advanced. I'm always working on or building one...haha The video is glitchy at times because the tablet is slow. When I fly The tablet is offline and bluetooth is off. I just use it for the app and strictly for the drones. This advanced is the only drone I have with these issues. Some of the others I haven't spent a whole lot of time with either. I flew 2 pro's all over a piece of land that I have a week ago with no issues at all other than the occasional video lag or lines from the tablet being slow. Maybe, it's just had enough too! haha I wonder if maybe the app caught a bug or something. I wondered about the device too.

Last edited:
I wonder if it is his device and not the bird at all.
The data from the aircraft has nothing to do with the device, so the answer to that would be no.

I tried to picture the joints, it didn't show up well but they appear to be cracked...The fourth joint in from the left is cracked for sure,
I wouldn't count on that being cracked, but first take some 90%ISA and clean all of those joints well. They appear to very flux coated in between. Then take another look see and reflow as needed. Use a flux pen for that, then re-clean.

I wouldn't count on that being cracked, but first take some 90%ISA and clean all of those joints well. They appear to very flux coated in between. Then take another look see and reflow as needed. Use a flux pen for that, then re-clean.

ok.I'll do that. I have it all a part trying to look over everything. I also just realized the accelerometer comes apart. I won't take this one apart but I'll look through the parts box...I want to see what's inside!!!

After reading some other threads...

.I'm wondering if I'm just getting magnetic interference. I was working on it and had screw drivers fairly close, that would explain some of the random issues while turning it on and off. Being fairly new and dumb to all of this stuff I didn't realize it was that sensitive.

Also, where I was flying it when it crashed? I was right above the buried electric and cable lines running from the street to the house. I also calibrated over a concrete driveway, and flew it up 3 or 4 ft and along side(about 4 ft away) from a truck sitting in the drive.

This doesn't explain the controller and app switching settings, but maybe there are multiple issues going on. The compass seems a little more sensitive on this drone compared to others that I have played with. a screwdriver doesn't have to be as far away to start things going crazy in the app.

I never had any issues with any of the other drones I have, but maybe those days everything was just right and too close to metal. And Like I mentioned the compass seems to be more sensitive on this drone. I'm still trying to read more about that....

Also, where I was flying it when it crashed? I was right above the buried electric and cable lines running from the street to the house. I also calibrated over a concrete driveway,
If you calibrated at that point as Bud Walker stated in his analysis, that could very well contribute to the yaw and compass errors, however I would have expected those to show up much sooner in the flight, but it is still a pertinent analysis. But there are other issues going on as you mentioned. As far as the sticks changing, that I am unsure of that one.

If you calibrated at that point as Bud Walker stated in his analysis, that could very well contribute to the yaw and compass errors, however I would have expected those to show up much sooner in the flight, but it is still a pertinent analysis. But there are other issues going on as you mentioned. As far as the sticks changing, that I am unsure of that one.
I didn't say anything about a calibration being a possible contributor to the problems seen in the flight I looked at. I had supposed that the problems could have been caused by possible geomagnetic distortions during and after launch.

@Joker2415 did you get a chance to try another, more simple, test? Maybe you were too busy changing and/or modifying most of the parts on your experimental P3A :). Sounds like you're having fun with it though.

I didn't say anything about a calibration being a possible contributor to the problems
I worded that incorrectly, my appologies. I was referring primarily to the interference comments. The calibration part was not directed as part of your analysis.

I didn't say anything about a calibration being a possible contributor to the problems seen in the flight I looked at. I had supposed that the problems could have been caused by possible geomagnetic distortions during and after launch.

@Joker2415 did you get a chance to try another, more simple, test? Maybe you were too busy changing and/or modifying most of the parts on your experimental P3A :). Sounds like you're having fun with it though.

I'm going to try it again. I'm waiting to take it to a place where there is nothing around and no chance of any interference or it going haywire and running into a neighbors car or kid.:) Although, I think my neighbors had fun watching me jump around and try to shut the drone off after it ran into the front of my truck the last flight!

Last edited:

I still can't even take a guess at why the sticks change from setting 2 to setting 1. The app also has trouble figuring out what drone it is at times. But!! That's usually when I have to re-link them. It looses it's link. Not all of the time though, it's random.This advanced is the only one I've had this issue with. The pro's that I have, have never had an issue. It's basically the same drone except for the camera, so I have no idea why it has this random issue with the app..

Since I like changing things around and trying anything.:) I wonder if I change out the board that the antenna's connect to. I have no idea what that board actually does but I'm just reaching for anything. :)

The funny thing about this? I don't even want this drone!! It's just bugging me that I can't figure out the issue!!!!! I want to know why! The curiosity of it I guess. :)

ok!! Thanks everyone for the help and input!!

I took this thing on a short test flight today. It wanders up and down(in height) and almost in about a 2 foot circle. I didn't have any remote or app issues, that may have been the operator. It was a little breezy, not bad. but when it was blown around a little bit, it didn't seem to correct and just kind of drifted. I stayed fairly low since I had to test it in a neighborhood. I haven't had a chance to take it anywhere away from people so I did this in a back yard surrounded by trees so that it couldn't get away.

I'm convinced this thing is" glitchy":) Or new pilot errors. I took a short youtube vid. (that I haven't uploaded yet) and I'm throwing it on Ebay for someone else to play with. I spent enough time goofing around! :) I have other projects that I know I'm keeping to concentrate on. The camera and gimbal seem to work great!! The drone is flyable, it just doesn't seem to stay put, or hover exactly where you let go of the sticks. I would be afraid to try to fly this thing around anyone or anything. I don't have enough confidence or experience to put my trust in this particular drone.

I'll add the logs here as soon as I get them out for anyone else that may be curious to see what's going on.

Thanks again!! I've learned a ton from this thread!!!

Reactions: RodPad
"I've learned a ton from this thread!!!"
Same to-ya. ;)

thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Rod

Dropbox - FLY110.DAT
I think that's the right .dat file. I lost the program to view it's in my computer somewhere...I'll have to come back to it...

Dropbox - DJIFlightRecord_2018-05-23_[14-49-30].txt
This file is correct for sure, I've viewed it.

I just watched the short video I took and it will make you sea sick. I may add it here when it's done uploading...It's just a video of trees, but it does show how the thing wanders around. I would have to correct it at times in fear of it drifting into the house or trees.

Here's the video to show it drifting around. I'm not putting this on here to try to promote a sale, that is not my intention at all. I added the video to show it drifting around. It still has me really curious about what the issue is with it. At this point I have to move on Since I have VERY limited funds to play with this stuff, I have to flip what I'm not going to use for things that I will use. But it just has me stumped!!!! :) Ohh well, hopefully it's a simple fix for the next guy! :)

Last edited:
A quick look back, yes that is in the logs. Also, just a word of caution. There is no need to calibrate the compass unless you are prompted to do so. Doing this too often can cause more issues. Quite honestly, I have done neither a compass calibration nor an IMU calibration in over a year and still holds rock steady in hover, no matter where I fly. On a second note, I never use the VPS either. I and others have found that it causes more landing issues than it helps. Just a few words to throw out.

Good day
Please could you assist me as I bought a phantom 3 advance connecting to an iPhone 6 for some reason I cannot get the camera mode , please advise as to what IOS my phone must be running on or anything else that can get me start flying . Thank you

Good day
Please could you assist me as I bought a phantom 3 advance connecting to an iPhone 6 for some reason I cannot get the camera mode , please advise as to what IOS my phone must be running on or anything else that can get me start flying . Thank you

I have no idea.

Maybe someone that knows how to fix it will see your post. You may want to try to start a thread with your problem. You may have better luck getting an answer or help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1