Gimbal unbalanced - causing video capture to pan to the right?

Reaction score
Hey mates,

Some time ago I made a rookie mistake and tried to fly my P3S off a narrow balcony. A gust of wind took it sideways and it crashed into the railing with reasonable force. The yaw arm was broken at its thinnest point, as were two propellers, but I fixed both of those issues, or so I thought.

The drone still flies perfectly, however the gimbal is acting odd. Here's a summary of my observations:
  1. When the drone is off, the gimbal leans heavily to the right (the side with the roll motor on it). It's quite obviously off-balanced, however I do not notice anything broken or busted, or even remotely looking like the cause to this shift in balance.
  2. When the drone is on, the gimbal is perfectly balanced, but if I tilt it too far to the right, some motor starts jamming a little and causes the entire gimbal to vibrate.
  3. When the drone is on, in both still and flying situations, the camera ever so slightly pans to the right horizontally. It's as if a weight is pulling it to the right side, which would make sense since the gimbal is off-balanced when it's shut off.
Note: these observations were made before and after IMU and gimbal calibrations. They made no difference.

I'm wondering what I could do to fix the problem. I bought the drone second hand (I checked everything when I was buying it, this issue appeared with the aforementioned crash), so I don't think I can apply for repair under warranty.
I'm thinking I should just duct tape a small weight to the left side of the gimbal to see if the issue sorts itself, but won't that interfere with the compass or put an unhealthy load on the motors? I'm also very open to hear your suggestions as to what could cause this issue, thanks a lot!

Your post is confusing to me.
In point #2 you said that when the drone is on the gimbal is level.
Do you mean the camera is level?
In point #3 you said when the drone is on, the camera pans to the right....do you mean that it is tilted to the right, or that it points to the right?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

@mdowney58, thanks for your reply.
I did mean the camera is level in point #2. In other words, the physical camera is completely balanced and the camera videofeed is completely level too, with no tilt on the horizon.
In point #3, the camera does indeed point to the right. It slowly turns right on the horizontal axis while the horizon in the camera videofeed stays level.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20