Gimbal resting position

Reaction score
Hi guys. Long time listener first time caller. I’m new to the Drone world and have owned my P4 since Christmas. I made the rookie mistake of letting my kid fly it which resulted in a pretty significant crash. Luckily I had insurance on send it in immediately. I got it back today and everything seems operationally correct but the resting gimbal position looks off. The pictures will give you a good idea of what I’m talking about. Is this normal? If not, can I fix it or does it need to go back to DJI?

Attachments

• 8B27F5CB-3C2C-4629-A454-FD1EC7E3C362.jpeg
    8B27F5CB-3C2C-4629-A454-FD1EC7E3C362.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 460
  • 8C1E9B27-E113-449D-87CC-9BDEE5B62230.jpeg
    8C1E9B27-E113-449D-87CC-9BDEE5B62230.jpeg
    983.1 KB · Views: 470
To Meeeeeeeeeeee its Very Wrong ! sure Not normal either..it should be pointing between the landing gear.and not that awkward angle !..Id sure send it back.......had to tell you that ...maybe some other person here has another idea !

Hi There,

Its quite usual for your gimbal to rest at a strange angle because if the weight of the lens (only if the drone is powered down) does it point forwards and respond to the controller when its powered up? Its probably worth running a gimbal calibration it you want to be 100 percent. My p4p gimbal looks similar with no power
7133a878c2228d502977ca5f32a1106a.jpg

Hi Mccuja
I am like u got P4 a month before xmas, a lot to learn, starting with observation on what everything should look like on the ground.
Looking at ur photo there are no lights showing an therefore the ac is powered off and gimbal is in normal idle position. I am a novice, but for anyone more expirienced to help u need to power it up and show and describe your exact power up procedure.
I have spend many hours on utube to get info and I can tell u it is extremely valuable. I watched lot of vids before first take-off as I was scared of damaging my treasure new possession. Have done some 30 careful flights and thank u tube contributors. My favourite is "Never mind yours" a Dutchman called Peter, he does lots of tests and trials, showing some of what not to do.
To me #1 requirement is patience- Good look.

I got it back today and everything seems operationally correct but the resting gimbal position looks off. The pictures will give you a good idea of what I’m talking about. Is this normal?
Yes, that's perfectly normal. The gimbal is limp when the Phantom is powered down, so it'll be able to freely move in any direction.

Power it up and check it’s position.

Hi There,

Its quite usual for your gimbal to rest at a strange angle because if the weight of the lens (only if the drone is powered down) does it point forwards and respond to the controller when its powered up? Its probably worth running a gimbal calibration it you want to be 100 percent. My p4p gimbal looks similar with no power
7133a878c2228d502977ca5f32a1106a.jpg
Did the calibration. The consensus in here says it’s quite normal to rest like that. Thanks for the tips!

Reactions: AndrewCCM
I am certainly not as experienced as many here and have all of six flight days under my belt. I too have the tilted gimbal issue when the P4A is turned off. However, because mine is new and the weather in Seattle is not conducive to much flying at this time of year, I decided to send my P4 in for a look see by DJI.

My gimbal has performed flawlessly during flight and has been very responsive to all flight moves, tests, videos, photos, etc. On one flight I did get the gimbal motor overload error and then the gimbal calibration failed three times but finally did calibrate as expected. Subsequent flights revealed no issues except the sagging gimbal when the unit is turned off. DJI support stated this was a "known issue" and many here advise that there is no issue but due to the newness and full warranty I decided to send it in after trying multiple Firmware releases.

Today, DJI sent a message stating they were going to spend two hours and replace the gimbal. This would indicate it is more than a "known issue" but rather something physical that was in error with my unit.

It would have cost $829 if I were paying but, of course, it is 100% covered by warranty. Of course, this could certainly be a one-off situation but if you have a new unit with warranty coverage, it might make sense to send it to DJI for an examination while your warranty is in effect.

I would be worried if it didn't do that at rest. Very normal
I agree but if my undamaged gimbal/camera is being replaced, either the product was defective or in the time between when this was manufactured and today, they have made some improvements and are willing to replace. Either way, I'm glad I sent it in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic