Getting cold feet about my upcoming purchase.

Reaction score
I have had plans for several months to purchase a Drone. After looking at specs and abilities of such I have narrowed my selection down to the P4P. But, after watching multiple videos and going through many user comments I'm starting to wonder if getting a Drone is such a good idea.

Are there known, documented problems I can expect to have? If I do everything right according to set procedure am I likely to have much trouble?

If you do everything right you are unlikely to have problems.
As with most things, people complain when things go wrong, but rarely sing when things are good.
So, this is me singing - The P4P is awesome!

By the way, you'll have less issues using a new(er) iPad - iPad Air 2 and up, than an Android device. That's not to say Android devices are a problem, just the software is more stable on IOS.

If I do everything right according to set procedure am I likely to have much trouble?
If you truly do everything correctly each time you fly (which can be a challenge sometimes), you'll limit your chance of running into issues. Nothing is guaranteed though since DJI drones are pretty technical and there are a lot of things to remember.

Do things like read the Phantom manual, avoid common pilot errors like these, and follow advice like this to help prevent a crash.

Are there known, documented problems I can expect to have?

YES. It really depends on your luck of getting a good drone new from the factory, I'm sorry to say. Some issues go unnoticed by many newbies because they don't know any better and just accept it. Such as the glitches while recording in 4096X2160 resolution. Most all P4Ps can't do this glitch free, you need to stick with 3840X2160 for glitch free UHD recordings, which is exactly what UHD TV resolution is anyway.

Phantom 4P is by far the most capable drone on the market in this price range. It's absolutely amazing, however there are issues to be aware of. If you haven't bought yet, it's very important to buy from a company that will exchange your drone for 30 days, giving you enough time to validate the integrity of the drone. By the way, DJI may not exchange it very fast if you plan to buy direct instead of a local vendor. Amazon is good, but make sure it's an authorized vendor, otherwise you won't get warranty, and you MUST have warranty support. Unfortunately DJI doesn't test their drones before shipping them, they assume they work. I've come to this conclusion because of obvious things that have been experienced by people in this forum, and myself. Had DJI simply started up the drone, and visually inspect them, these problems would be caught before boxing up for shipment. This includes dead batteries that won't charge! So..... there are things to look for when you get your new baby. This is my list of things to inspect. The tilted horizon issue has been addressed and fixed since this list was put together in recent firmware, but if you run earlier firmware from May 2017, some P4s have the tilted horizon more than others. I prefer to run earlier firmware, providing me more liberties than latter firmware. Depending on how tech savvy you are, you may have a great time, or you may struggle at times. The Go4 app is quite capable, LOTS of settings to learn and try out. Just finding what you want in the app can be a challenge to some folks, rightfully so, because there's so much to learn. If you are diligent about reading the manual, and are compelled to learn about every setting, and knowing what it does, you'll be happy. You must be curious about all the settings and how they affect flight and camera capture. There's lots to learn, and if you get the bug, you're going to be fine. When you go to bed thinking about where you're going to fly next, you're officially addicted! :p

Last edited:
I've had a total of 7 DJI drones, 4 of which I still own (P4P, Inspire 1 Pro, Mavic Pro and Spark) I have had all positive experiences with them. Just take it slow.

YES. It really depends on your luck of getting a good drone new from the factory, I'm sorry to say. Some issues go unnoticed by many newbies because they don't know any better and just accept it. Such as the glitches while recording in 4096X2160 resolution. Most all P4Ps can't do this glitch free, you need to stick with 3840X2160 for glitch free UHD recordings, which is exactly what UHD TV resolution is anyway.

Phantom 4P is by far the most capable drone on the market in this price range. It's absolutely amazing, however there are issues to be aware of. If you haven't bought yet, it's very important to buy from a company that will exchange your drone for 30 days, giving you enough time to validate the integrity of the drone. By the way, DJI may not exchange it very fast if you plan to buy direct instead of a local vendor. Amazon is good, but make sure it's an authorized vendor, otherwise you won't get warranty, and you MUST have warranty support. Unfortunately DJI doesn't test their drones before shipping them, they assume they work. I've come to this conclusion because of obvious things that have been experienced by people in this forum, and myself. Had DJI simply started up the drone, and visually inspect them, these problems would be caught before boxing up for shipment. This includes dead batteries that won't charge! So..... there are things to look for when you get your new baby. This is my list of things to inspect. The tilted horizon issue has been addressed and fixed since this list was put together in recent firmware, but if you run earlier firmware from May 2017, some P4s have the tilted horizon more than others. I prefer to run earlier firmware, providing me more liberties than latter firmware. Depending on how tech savvy you are, you may have a great time, or you may struggle at times. The Go4 app is quite capable, LOTS of settings to learn and try out. Just finding what you want in the app can be a challenge to some folks, rightfully so, because there's so much to learn. If you are diligent about reading the manual, and are compelled to learn about every setting, and knowing what it does, you'll be happy. You must be curious about all the settings and how they affect flight and camera capture. There's lots to learn, and if you get the bug, you're going to be fine. When you go to bed thinking about where you're going to fly next, you're officially addicted! :p

VERY informative. I'll be sure to save your inspection list.

Don't buy your drone from outside the U.S and from grey marketers, DJI will only honor the warranty in the country of purchase so buying offshore could be an issue

Reactions: amstar and K4GAP
Stick with the DJI Go software, at least for a while. Litchi and others offer many extra features, but that's another argument you don't want to have. If you crash you might have to prove it wasn't 3rd party software that caused it.

Reactions: K4GAP and Slickvolt
I am a newbie just like you I just got mine about a month ago I only have about 4000m of flying time the best thing to do just for a little pice of mind is get some Insurance go to State Farm mine is 41.00 a year if anything happens it's covered. I'm not saying go out and crash it but if it happens you go get another. I love my P4p and wouldn't give it up for nothing. Don't tell my wife but I'm looking for another one. Not a P4p but something in the cheaper DJI.

Reactions: K4GAP
what is this state farm insurance called?
how do you get it?

what is this state farm insurance called?
how do you get it?
I believe it's a personal property policy. It's to protect against loss of things like laptops, cellphone, and drones, from fire, theft or physical damage. I've read that you are allowed to put multiple things on one policy for about $60/yr, such as a drone, laptop and iPad for instance.

I have a policy that is supposed to cover any loss, on the road, at home or whatever. But, if I loose the P4P, is it covered? :rolleyes:

K4GAP just take the jump and enjoy the P4P. Sure things can, and do, go wrong but there is enough knowledge in the forum to get you through most issues. Accept that sooner or later you will experience the thrill of a prang or three but hey that how it swings.
Also don't overthink things. I mean we all need to go back and revisit the manual now and again. So, to steal a well known catch cry 'just do it'

Reactions: K4GAP
I've had a total of 7 DJI drones, 4 of which I still own (P4P, Inspire 1 Pro, Mavic Pro and Spark) I have had all positive experiences with them. Just take it slow.

Ryan and I fly a lot together. We both love our DJI equipment. Any issue I have had was my own fault and I rushed things. I have learned my lessons. I preflight and post flight check everything now with a checklist and do test power ups in the house with no rotors to make sure all is right after updates. I love my P4P and P3S. Ryan makes me jealous with his Inspire and Mavic. ;)

I am a newbie just like you I just got mine about a month ago I only have about 4000m of flying time the best thing to do just for a little pice of mind is get some Insurance go to State Farm mine is 41.00 a year if anything happens it's covered. I'm not saying go out and crash it but if it happens you go get another. I love my P4p and wouldn't give it up for nothing. Don't tell my wife but I'm looking for another one. Not a P4p but something in the cheaper DJI.
I got insurance a couple weeks ago too. Great piece of mind.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl