Getting cold feet about my upcoming purchase.

I had been looking at getting a DJI drone for a while. I checked out other alternative drones as well. Looking at the price of a P4P, it's a fair chunk of change, especially if you are new to drones and may anticipate "issues".

My RC flying experience has been helicopters, fixed pitch and collective pitch. I have flown a small bit of quads, some of these were basic attitude control models, so they tend to be a bit twitchy.

I ended up getting the DJI P3 SE. Lots of features and capabilities, for less than half the cost of a P4P. The rational on this is a number of points:

• If it gets crashed, damaged, lost, does a flyaway, or is a total loss it's only 39.5% the cost of a P4P.
  • How much value do I get for the money? If you purchase a P4P and don't fly it that much because either you fear damaging it, or you just don't use it that much due to not having much time available, places to fly, or losing interest. Is that worth the investment of $1500.00+?
  • Are the special features and capabilities of the P4P really worth the additional cost for something that you really have no experience with? A little caution operating the humble P3 SE will keep you just as safe as a P4P. Having to pay more attention to your environment will make you a better pilot, than just depending on technology to save you.
So, for me I purchased the P3 SE, I saw it as the most bang for the buck, and I have always been one to go for the best and top of the line.

So far I have not flown it too much as life issues (time & opportunity) have impeded that. I also have found that local regulations really cut into where you can fly these days.

The short bit that I have flown it I found it to be super stable and easy to control. I am intending to do a fair amount of "training" flights in all the different modes. The best investment you can make is in learning new skills. It's sort of like the golfer who thinks its best to invest in new clubs, than in training to improve his swing.

Don't know if all this is applicable to you, but it's my story and I am sticking to it.
You are aware DJI has ended technical support for the P3? So double down on that 'caution and humility' thing and include a few 'Hail Mary' as well.

While there are thousands of P3's still flying, DJI has arbitrarily cut off support of those, while Wal-Mart is still selling them for $500 and are for sale in many places. How would you like to be the poor guy who drops his hard-earned $500 to be told there is no support for it from the manufacturer?
They do it only so you are forced to buy the latest.
In protest of this sales model, I will not buy DJI products from here on out.
I think you're a little off base with your claim of no support for P3. That's not the truth. DJI still manufactures and sells the P3SE. DJI has quit manufacturing P3A and P3P, however you can still get parts and have them repaired at many shops. What other support are you looking for? Do you expect something to be manufactured forever? Is that your definition of support?

Last edited:
Reactions: bad karma
I would say that if you're going to buy a DJI drone, buy the newest, most expensive and hope for the best.
I wouldn't recommend the P4P+ (the most expensive Phantom). This limits you, its not capable of running third party apps. It's also a small screen that cannot be upgraded to a larger Crystal Sky tablet device (assuming third party apps aren't important to you). It also doesn't have cellular options, which is a hassle. The smart buyer will get the P4P and leave their options open later, it's a great craft/controller combo.

Reactions: K4GAP
I think you're a little off base with your claim of no support for P3. That's not the truth. DJI still manufactures and sells the P3SE. DJI has quit manufacturing P3A and P3P, however you can still get parts and have them repaired at many shops. What other support are you looking for? Do you expect something to be manufactured forever? Is that your definition of support?
I wish I'd have saved the e-mail, but it was from DJI and I read it twice because I couldn't believe my eyes, having owned mine for a little over a year, new, but that's what it said. The gimbal and camera were specifically mentioned as already unavailable, as I recall. Eventually, the lack of firmware updates will ground us, just like the Windows 7/10 debacle. Can't get firmware upgrades or parts and the new goggles won't work on it? Is that YOUR definition of support? Like politics these days, one can spin a development to put the best face on it or stare it in the eyes and realize what a development such as this means. Mine is working well, but I will look at other solutions when my 3 is grounded for good. As I suggested, I am researching solutions where I control my crafts' obsolescence instead of the manufacturer doing that for me.

The gimbal and camera were specifically mentioned as already unavailable, as I recall. Eventually, the lack of firmware updates will ground us.

To sell products in the US, I'm pretty sure companies are mandated to provide service and parts for 5yrs, a consumers act law I believe. So if DJI put in writing they don't have the parts to repair, you should ask them for a new drone to comply with US consumer law. I'm not a consumer rights expert, but I've known several people that have used this law to get new replacement product when the manufacturer can't repair it. I just went through this routine with my fridge.

I find it hard to believe they can't fix your drone, you should try again. I find MANY TIMES that people on the other end of the phone at DJI don't know what they are talking about, they are phone jockies, ignorant in many cases. Only the techs know what they are doing, usually. If you're really interested in getting your drone fixed, send in a request for repair through their web portal. Get a CASE number assigned. If they reply back in writing they can't fix your problem, send a note to BladeStrike, who works for DJI and see if he can help with resolution. If they truly can't fix your drone, they should offer you a refurb of the same model or better for a reasonable price, equal cost to repairing your drone.

If you really need a camera, it's really not worth fixing IMO, those cost close to $500. However, there are cheaper alternatives if you're interested to get it repaired. You can contact Mike Holt in California, he's a independent repair guy that has lots of parts, for much less money. PM me if you want his phone number, he's a good guy and knows a ton about P3's, and like I said, he has a ton of parts.

As for your Goggles compatibility issue, trust me you don't want DJI goggles to connect to your P3 DJI controller (I assume you have P3A or P3P, you didn't say). If you have P3S, you are correct, they will not work, it wasn't meant to work with P3S, an entry level craft.

For lightbridge P3's, first of all you'd have install the HDMI module on your controller ($99), and then the quality of the DJI goggle image via HDMI cable isn't worth the $500 that the goggle cost (I bought one, didn't like it). They're also heavy, giving me a neck ache after flying 20min. You'd be happeir with HeadPlay or Eachine Goggles 2 IMO, assuming you have good eyes that need no diopter correction. The DJI googles are almost worth the money when paired with a Mavic, since it's wireless with OcuSync controllers. I presume the P5 will be OcuSync so it's compatible with the goggle also, wirelessly. However the weight and bulk of the DJI goggle is too much for me. The optics inside the DJI google is pretty sophisticated, complex beyond belief (that's why they cost so much), designed way overboard IMO.

I wouldn't recommend the P4P+ (the most expensive Phantom). This limits you, its not capable of running third party apps. It's also a small screen that cannot be upgraded to a larger Crystal Sky tablet device (assuming third party apps aren't important to you). It also doesn't have cellular options, which is a hassle. The smart buyer will get the P4P and leave their options open later, it's a great craft/controller combo.

I am very happy with my P4P+. I like having the built-in screen. I also have a regular controller that I use with an ipad. I use that if I want to do mapping. Otherwise I use the P4P+ controller for taking aesthetic photos. The "smart buyer" will buy both controllers, IMHO, depending upon his or her needs of course.

The point is that buying a P4P+ might be a smart choice depending upon needs and circumstances. It's not an either/or situation. I wouldn't give up my + for more batteries. I would spend more to have more batteries. I'm a professional photographer and I use it to make money. It's worth the extra cost (for me). And as I mentioned, one can have both if they want to spend a little more. There is more than one way to be a "smart buyer."

The point is that buying a P4P+ might be a smart choice depending upon needs and circumstances. It's not an either/or situation. I wouldn't give up my + for more batteries. I would spend more to have more batteries. I'm a professional photographer and I use it to make money. It's worth the extra cost (for me). And as I mentioned, one can have both if they want to spend a little more. There is more than one way to be a "smart buyer."
Yeah, I get it. Just like the exorbitant cost of Adobe Premiere Pro, professionals justify it with the money they make, which is understandable. But the value isn't usually justified for the average flyer in this forum, only those where the drone is their business, unless your wealthy of course, then cost isn't a factor, nor is virtue of being smart about spending money. :D I'd take the batteries. :p

If I could only have one or the other I would go with the P4P+.and would forget about other applications where it wouldn't work. Now that I have it, I couldn't give it up. I don't need to charge an ipad, I don't need to worry about a cable, I don't have to put anything together or worry about my ipad falling out, the screen is much brighter, etc. etc. I've used both. I think the P4P+ is worth it, especially if just for the hobbyist who is interested in taking photos and videos.

I have had plans for several months to purchase a Drone. After looking at specs and abilities of such I have narrowed my selection down to the P4P. But, after watching multiple videos and going through many user comments I'm starting to wonder if getting a Drone is such a good idea.

Are there known, documented problems I can expect to have? If I do everything right according to set procedure am I likely to have much trouble?
My name is Robb I run alltronix and I sell and repair drones of all makes and models the phantom series has a fenominal succes most people do only sing upon their own failures myself I skipped from a p3pro to the mavic cause I’m getting older and the heavier drones plus case is a young mans game back to you no matter what you get insurance insurance insurance can’t say it enough figure in the cost of insurance when you decide if you can afford the total price because anybody especially s newby is a fool if they don’t insure them to many things can go wrong and honestly you have to stay calm and collected if something goes wrong and that’s when the real problems happen return to Home if all else fails but if you need a good price and insurance let me know

I have had plans for several months to purchase a Drone. After looking at specs and abilities of such I have narrowed my selection down to the P4P. But, after watching multiple videos and going through many user comments I'm starting to wonder if getting a Drone is such a good idea.

Are there known, documented problems I can expect to have? If I do everything right according to set procedure am I likely to have much trouble?

If you are an enthusiastic photographer or videographer, you will love a P4P, and fortunately for you, you come in at a time when a lot of software / firmware updates and fixes have been introduced. Tablets wise, go for either a recent iPad Air or an Nvidia Shield K1. I have one of the latter, and it works great. Make sure you do not fill your drone tablet with extra apps that could dominate the resources of the tablet when you switch it on, especially not social media apps as they will potentially interfere with its operation, and DJI GO 4 is very resource and feature hungry.

The camera on the P4P is excellent: it uses the same sensor as the Sony RX100IV or V, and gives great 4k and photography results. Raw and jpeg are both catered for and you have a mechanical shutter and full aperture control from f/2.8-11 as well, which is very handy indeed.

Get lots of practice in an open space first off: this is important, to familiarise with the controls. Obey the law and flight regulations, and get an app that tells you where you can and cannot fly (like NATS in the UK). Make sure the antennas are parallel on your transmitter as they are vertically polarised. Having them too far off parallel can dramatically weaken the signal to the drone, and keep the transmitter antennas pointed in the direction of the drone, especially in areas where competing 2.4Ghz use is high (home broadband routers, for instance, which pump out more signal than you'd think). Personally I have upgraded mine to a boosted circular polarization system, and it makes a world of difference giving me rock steady transmission at all times. Many disconnections in the app and between the transmitter and aircraft are due to not maintaining "line of sight" between the transmitter and aircraft. Do not just take as read that you can achieve clear transmission for 7-8kms as claimed... This will hugely depend on the environment, atmospherics, sources of interference and line of sight you can maintain.

It is a good idea to get public liability insurance (which can be cheap for drone enthusiasts rather than commercial users).

Good luck whatever decision you make

Last edited:
First thing to remember , there are a lot of idiots on the internet and people giving advice that really don't have a clue themselves, I have a standard 3 that I've had pretty good luck with only two problems I made the mistake of pulling the stick way down and the motor shut off and it crashed to the ground , the second one was trying to upgrade the firmware after that drone never flu again I had to take it back and swap it for a new one , I still get flashing that says I need to upgrade firmware but I've had it for over a year and everything is still fine I would never suggest to anyone to upgrade firmware I know a lot of people do it and have good luck but unless you're really really know what you're doing and have some good advice I would suggest I know a lot of people do it and have good luck but unless you're really really know what you're doing and have some good advice use firmware that come with it I think part of my problem was I live close to an airport , about 15 miles away just local people use the airport when you tell them your location that's what they used to determine if there's an airport nearby if you don't give your location they don't know I may be wrong about this but it's something that I was told by a person that I kind of trust, good luck with your new drone I'm sure you're going to enjoy it I can't think of anything I enjoy more than flying my drone other than riding the 4-wheeler

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers