Full review and two videos on the new DJI Goggles - I got a pair early

What does the imagery from inside the goggles look like? Is the resolution high enough to provide a good experience?

Cool*

Here is a review that shows actual imagery from the goggles rather than just flight footage.

DJI Headset Goggles review! - Now available for Order - specs, videos and more! - Droneflyers.com

These things are cook although I didn't try them with my P4A yet - flew mostly with the Mavic. Still, it's a "gotta have" type of device.
I appreciate the honesty but I'm not quite sure adding the warning is going to help sales any..
"Note that, in most cases, a second operator is needed as a “spotter”. It is against the FAA regs to fly a machine without having direct line of sight (LOS)….which you can’t have if your face is obstructed. Experienced pilot may be OK doing their test runs alone in the center of a large open field with no trees, light poles or large bodies of water. Otherwise, these goggles are going to result in a lot of lost quadcopters."

I appreciate the honesty but I'm not quite sure adding the warning is going to help sales any..
"Note that, in most cases, a second operator is needed as a “spotter”. It is against the FAA regs to fly a machine without having direct line of sight (LOS)….which you can’t have if your face is obstructed. Experienced pilot may be OK doing their test runs alone in the center of a large open field with no trees, light poles or large bodies of water. Otherwise, these goggles are going to result in a lot of lost quadcopters."

Why does someone always bring up line of sight? For the love live a little and have some fun. NO harm here.

Why does someone always bring up line of sight? For the love live a little and have some fun. NO harm here.
lol I was referring to the part about needing a spotter and if not there's going to be a lot of lost copters,
Pretty much all my flights are beyond line of sight but I do scan the area with both the cameras feed and my eyes so I'm very curious if his prediction will come true

I've used Litchi FPV with smartphone goggles and control of the drone wasn't any issue, you just don't place them over your eyes until the aircraft is airborne and safe, and of course remove them to land. I never really felt any concern. In the case of the DJI goggles you'd simply just flip them up when necessary. Flying very close to obstacles would be riskier of course, as it is even without goggles.

I've used Litchi FPV with smartphone goggles and control of the drone wasn't any issue, you just don't place them over your eyes until the aircraft is airborne and safe, and of course remove them to land. I never really felt any concern. In the case of the DJI goggles you'd simply just flip them up when necessary. Flying very close to obstacles would be riskier of course, as it is even without goggles.
OK that makes sense but the whole thing is still a little confusing because if the camera follow your head movement wouldn't the drone follow the camera which could lead to a collision just by turning you head , sorry if im going out in left field with this but I'm just tryin to understand how these work exactly.
I stumbled upon a another review of them

Reactions: sparky1111
OK that makes sense but the whole thing is still a little confusing because if the camera follow your head movement wouldn't the drone follow the camera which could lead to a collision just by turning you head , sorry if im going out in left field with this but I'm just tryin to understand how these work exactly.
Your head movements only control yaw (rotation), not forward or sideward movement (you use the joysticks for that), so merely looking in a direction won't move the drone towards it.

Exactly or maybe I'm misunderstanding so if I'm flying with the right stick forward and look to the right will the copter fly to the right ? Sorry for the duh question but .....

Exactly or maybe I'm misunderstanding so if I'm flying with the right stick forward and look to the right will the copter fly to the right ? Sorry for the duh question but .....

No - it's effectively in Course Lock mode with respect to the goggles.

No - it's effectively in Course Lock mode with respect to the goggles.
Not true all the time. You can control the craft left and right direction control with head movement, using "motion controlled flight" mode. The direction is very slow to turn left or right, you'll never hit anything any easier than flying with the sticks when you navigate left or right. There are 3 modes to operate with goggles, the second is called "Motion controlled gimbal", which controls direction of the gimbal, up, down, left, right with head movements which does not affect craft direction, however looking full right or left, you can still see forward, the direction you're flying, given the 79 degree FOV. It appears you can only look left or right about 25 degrees (without the craft yawing), maybe 30 degrees. The 3rd mode is STANDARD mode where the goggle head movement has limited control of the gimbal up and down, but has no craft direction control, the controller is the master, it over-rides goggle craft direction control and gimbal movement, but gives some control to the goggle viewer when the pilot allows. This is an interesting capability, such as letting your wife see the flight through the goggles while you fly with the iPad and VLOS elsewhere, a good distance away. What's interesting to me is my wife could be a mile away while I'm flying the craft, and she's viewing my flight with goggles. She could be sitting at an ocean-side restaurant table, outside on the deck drinking wine, while I'm down on the beach a half mile away talking to her on the phone (bluetooth earpiece) flying the craft all around the area, and she sees everything through the DJI goggles at the table. You can even have two sets of goggles linked to one Mavic, so another person at that table could see too. This offers some interesting search and rescue options.

Reactions: sar104
Not true all the time. You can control the craft left and right direction control with head movement, using "motion controlled flight" mode. The direction is very slow to turn left or right, you'll never hit anything any easier than flying with the sticks when you navigate left or right. There are 3 modes to operate with goggles, the second is called "Motion controlled gimbal", which controls direction of the gimbal, up, down, left, right with head movements which does not affect craft direction, however looking full right or left, you can still see forward, the direction you're flying, given the 79 degree FOV. It appears you can only look left or right about 25 degrees (without the craft yawing), maybe 30 degrees. The 3rd mode is STANDARD mode where the goggle head movement has limited control of the gimbal up and down, but has no craft direction control, the controller is the master, it over-rides goggle craft direction control and gimbal movement, but gives some control to the goggle viewer when the pilot allows. This is an interesting capability, such as letting your wife see the flight through the goggles while you fly with the iPad and VLOS elsewhere, a good distance away. What's interesting to me is my wife could be a mile away while I'm flying the craft, and she's viewing my flight with goggles. She could be sitting at an ocean-side restaurant table, outside on the deck drinking wine, while I'm down on the beach a half mile away talking to her on the phone (bluetooth earpiece) flying the craft all around the area, and she sees everything through the DJI goggles at the table. You can even have two sets of goggles linked to one Mavic, so another person at that table could see too. This offers some interesting search and rescue options.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the various modes. I agree that the remote viewing capability is very interesting for search and rescue - one of the primary reasons I've ordered a pair.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik