FPV Issue Black Pearl Monitor

Reaction score
Hello,

I am posting this for a friend. I am not getting any live feed from the Black Pearl Monitor using a GoPro Hero 4. These are my specs:

ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz 600mw 7 Channel Video Transmitter: Band F
PAL setting
Rx1 & 2 are on Ch6

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• FPV 1.jpg
    FPV 1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 626
  • FPV 2.jpg
    FPV 2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 622
Last edited:
?
Hello,

I am posting this for a friend. I am not getting any live feed from the Black Pearl Monitor using a GoPro Hero 4. These are my specs:

ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz 600mw 7 Channel Video Transmitter: Band F
PAL setting
Rx1 & 2 are shown to be on Ch7, but the case is the same with Ch6.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I see that both RX 1 & 2 are on channel 6 in your photos. You also mentioned that the monitor set to PAL but is the GoPro also set to PAL. Or is it set to NTSC? Was there an antenna attached to the Immersion TX when the P2 was powered up?

One other thing comes to mind and that would be the TX RF antenna connection is female and the antenna you are using should be male.

Last edited:
?

I see that both RX 1 & 2 are on channel 6 in your photos. You also mentioned that the monitor set to PAL but is the GoPro also set to PAL. Or is it set to NTSC? Was there an antenna attached to the Immersion TX when the P2 was powered up?

One other thing comes to mind and that would be the TX RF antenna connection is female and the antenna you are using should be male.

Hi Jason,

Both the GoPro and Monitor are set to PAL, and there is an antenna attached to the Immersion TX when powered up.

I have just used the antenna's that come with the TX - could it be wrong?

Thanks

Hi Jason,

Both the GoPro and Monitor are set to PAL, and there is an antenna attached to the Immersion TX when powered up.

I have just used the antenna's that come with the TX - could it be wrong?

Thanks

I see you've been a member for two years so this P2 setup is nothing new. Have you crashed the P2 recently or powered it up without an antenna attached to the TX?

I see you've been a member for two years so this P2 setup is nothing new. Have you crashed the P2 recently or powered it up without an antenna attached to the TX?

I have posted this question for a friend as he now has the P2 (I've moved onto the Mavic). I used it with my GoPro Hero 3 Black just fine, but he is using a GoPro Hero 4 and evidently its not working.

Never crashed it and I don't recall powering it up without the antenna attached for FPV.

I have posted this question for a friend as he now has the P2 (I've moved onto the Mavic). I used it with my GoPro Hero 3 Black just fine, but he is using a GoPro Hero 4 and evidently its not working.

Never crashed it and I don't recall powering it up without the antenna attached for FPV.

If that is the case who took the photos that were posted? Why don't you have him try your GP 3 and see if it makes a difference. He either hasn't the correct setup or possibly damaged the ribbon cable. There really isn't any reason for the Hero 4 not to work unless it has a bad USB output and the way to check that would be to record and play back through his computer.

If that is the case who took the photos that were posted? Why don't you have him try your GP 3 and see if it makes a difference. He either hasn't the correct setup or possibly damaged the ribbon cable. There really isn't any reason for the Hero 4 not to work unless it has a bad USB output and the way to check that would be to record and play back through his computer.

I have told him to do the latter part - what should he be looking for; poor quality footage or no footage at all, etc?

Thanks again, Jason.

I have told him to do the latter part - what should he be looking for; poor quality footage or no footage at all, etc?

Thanks again, Jason.

If the USB output is damaged no video. But can't the two of you get together and see what happens when the GP 3 is used?

If the USB output is damaged no video. But can't the two of you get together and see what happens when the GP 3 is used?

I have received the drone back to test it with the GP3 - seems to be the same. Just a black screen - recorded video and played back video on laptop and video seemed fine.

I have received the drone back to test it with the GP3 - seems to be the same. Just a black screen - recorded video and played back video on laptop and video seemed fine.

Since you are not receiving video with either of the cameras that isn't the problem.

Connect the P2 with the camera attached to the software and check to see if the gimbal is recognized in the upgrades as in the photo. Next check to see if the red LED is on the camera mounting plate when the P2 is powered up. You can see it on the backside next to the tilt motor. If it isn't on there's no power to the gimbal. If there is power to the gimbal does it go into its calibration mode when power is applied?

Now if the LED isn't lite on the gimbals mounting plate then either the 8 pin gray cable or the ribbon that connects all three motors is damaged. Last of all would be a damaged USB ribbon cable that is causing the problem and needs to be replaced.

Is there a mini iOSD module connected to the FPV system and is the telemetry showing on the monitor?

Upgrade Page_04.jpg

Since you are not receiving video with either of the cameras that isn't the problem.

Connect the P2 with the camera attached to the software and check to see if the gimbal is recognized in the upgrades as in the photo. Next check to see if the red LED is on the camera mounting plate when the P2 is powered up. You can see it on the backside next to the tilt motor. If it isn't on there's no power to the gimbal. If there is power to the gimbal does it go into its calibration mode when power is applied?

Now if the LED isn't lite on the gimbals mounting plate then either the 8 pin gray cable or the ribbon that connects all three motors is damaged. Last of all would be a damaged USB ribbon cable that is causing the problem and needs to be replaced.

Is there a mini iOSD module connected to the FPV system and is the telemetry showing on the monitor?

View attachment 89269

Hey mate,

Thanks for your reply.

So connected P2 to the software, and the gimbal is recognised (I would link photo, but its just the same as yours).

I can see red light on the back of the tilt motor.

The gimbal powers up as normal and I can control it with my controller just fine.

No mini iOSD module unfortunately.

Hey mate,

Thanks for your reply.

So connected P2 to the software, and the gimbal is recognised (I would link photo, but its just the same as yours).

I can see red light on the back of the tilt motor.

The gimbal powers up as normal and I can control it with my controller just fine.

No mini iOSD module unfortunately.

Check the cable under the tilt motor with a magnifying glass for cuts. If that is ok then replace the USB ribbon cable.

DJI Zenmuse H4-3D Part 9 Video Output Connection Cable -US dealer | eBay

This is a stateside site but you will need part # 9 or order it from the states.

Check the cable under the tilt motor with a magnifying glass for cuts. If that is ok then replace the USB ribbon cable.

DJI Zenmuse H4-3D Part 9 Video Output Connection Cable -US dealer | eBay

This is a stateside site but you will need part # 9 or order it from the states.

I actually replaced the ribbon cable already with the spare that came with the drone?

I had another look at it seems where I move the monitor (or the drone) it goes from either black screen to static - so something is being picked up, its just not showing a clear picture. Could that be something to do with the transmitter rather than the video output cable?

Last edited:
I actually replaced the ribbon cable already with the spare that came with the drone?

I had another look at it seems where I move the monitor (or the drone) it goes from either black screen to static - so something is being picked up, its just not showing a clear picture. Could that be something to do with the transmitter rather than the video output cable?

It's possible that the transmitter may be a fault but before replacing it check that both the monitor and GoPro are either PAL/NTSC. Also, check the RX 1 & 2 are on the same channel as well as the TX switches and that transmitter is on Band F. If everything is set correctly then replace the TX as your friend may have powered up the P2 without an antenna on the TX.

It's possible that the transmitter may be a fault but before replacing it check that both the monitor and GoPro are either PAL/NTSC. Also, check the RX 1 & 2 are on the same channel as well as the TX switches and that transmitter is on Band F. If everything is set correctly then replace the TX as your friend may have powered up the P2 without an antenna on the TX.

Just checked the GoPro/Monitor for both the same (tried changing them both as way, just in case) and everything else you said.

Before I go ahead and order another, could it be a fault at the solder joint (I can to cut the rubber protectors and rewire even just to check, hence my hesitation) or for sure a TX problem?

Just checked the GoPro/Monitor for both the same (tried changing them both as way, just in case) and everything else you said.

Before I go ahead and order another, could it be a fault at the solder joint (I can to cut the rubber protectors and rewire even just to check, hence my hesitation) or for sure a TX problem?

If you feel the problem could be with the wiring then resolder them. Ask yourself one question. Did the video system work before you gave it to your friend? If the answer is yes what do you think happened? The manufacturer put a heat sink on the TX for one reason to dissipate heat which builds up under normal conditions but without an antenna, conditions are no longer normal. That is what I think happened.

I have a small video transmitter that plugs into my hero 4 and after only a couple of minutes of use, I have to be careful in removing it not to burn myself or just shut it down and let it cool down.

If you feel the problem could be with the wiring then resolder them. Ask yourself one question. Did the video system work before you gave it to your friend? If the answer is yes what do you think happened? The manufacturer put a heat sink on the TX for one reason to dissipate heat which builds up under normal conditions but without an antenna, conditions are no longer normal. That is what I think happened.

I have a small video transmitter that plugs into my hero 4 and after only a couple of minutes of use, I have to be careful in removing it not to burn myself or just shut it down and let it cool down.

I will resolder and try it (as I'm going to have to replace the TX anyway if it doesn't work). And you're right, thats must have happend - the TX does get very hot even when its been on for a few minutes like you said. Shame.

I dont see either of the lights on the black pearl screen under the antennas flashing, this probably means it isnt receiving anything.

I dont see either of the lights on the black pearl screen under the antennas flashing, this probably means it isnt receiving anything.

How about the power light and does the screen come on when powered up? Does your FPV system also consist of a
mini iOSD for telemetry?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20