Modify a P2 to add wifi module...or just buy FPV monitor?

Reaction score
I've been handed a Phantom 2 basically free of charge that already has a Zenmuse gimbal installed, so I've been modifying it and am adding a iOSD mini and a video transmitter. The aim is to eventually get a monitor (Black Pearl, etc.) and have a blast making videos and learning to fly it. However, the idea of using a cellphone or tablet is very appealing too, but this drone obviously didn't come with the wi-fi module installed.

I'd be interested in opinions of whether a P2 can actually take the wi-fi module and have it work as hoped, or would it be best to simply get a FPV monitor of the more typical sort? It seems to me that I'm looking at another couple of hundred dollars investment either way, which might have made it simpler to simply buy a P2 Vision, but I'd appreciate any thoughts from people who have been down this road before.

Thanks
JT

The main thing to know is that the control signal for the straight P2 is 2.4 ghz, whereas the control signal for the other two P2 (Vision series) ACs is 5.8 ghz. That means the vision series uses 2.4 for FPV, while the straight P2 owners generally use 5.8 ghz for FPV. I believe the GoPro will transmit on 5.8. So then you'd need a tablet that can receive that 5.8 signal.

Disclaimer: I've never owned a straight P2.

Good luck.

I appreciate the thoughts, Mark.

If I don't misunderstand what you were saying, I presume you mean that the signal to/from the original P2 controller (not the Vision series) is 2.4 ghz. I went and checked the video transmitter that was recommended for those of us trying to get an a/v signal transmitted from the P2 (the ImmersionRC 600mw), and it does transmit at 5.8 ghz. It would have been nice to have the P2 transmit at 5.8 ghz, but ok...still, I'm guessing that as long as the transmitter I'm installing transmits at 5.8 ghz then I just need to make sure the video monitor I get receives at 5.8 ghz as well. Maybe I'll just look to the brands of FPV monitors that others have successfully used with the ImmersionRC transmitter and play it safe.

If you or anyone knows about this subject issue:
I'd wanted the option of using a tablet for my monitor but, on reading more about it, I'm wondering now if I'm correct that those setups work via the wi-fi connection--which came built-in to the P2 Vision models but not the original P2? So, I could possibly do it if I was to pay the $$ for the wi-fi module and install that, along with the wi-fi antennae part that I see mounted onto the controller. But if I install the little a/v transmitter that many people installed initially (shown in all the Youtube videos), then I need a video monitor with antennae that picks up that signal (like the Black Pearl model)?
It seems to be somewhat cheaper to install the a/v transmitter and buy that kind of specialized FPV monitor (with all the buttons, etc)....but if I spent the money and installed the wi-fi module (presuming that works) then I'd have all the possible benefits of using a cell phone or tablet with great screens, etc.. and not necessarily need a dedicated monitor permanently attached to my drone controller. Is it a wi-fi vs a/v transmitter choice?

Any thoughts from anyone who has considered this before, or knows something I don't?
Thanks...

The main thing to know is that the control signal for the straight P2 is 2.4 ghz, whereas the control signal for the other two P2 (Vision series) ACs is 5.8 ghz. That means the vision series uses 2.4 for FPV, while the straight P2 owners generally use 5.8 ghz for FPV. I believe the GoPro will transmit on 5.8. So then you'd need a tablet that can receive that 5.8 signal.

Disclaimer: I've never owned a straight P2.

Good luck.

The GoPro camera sends a video signal to a 5.8Ghz transmitter.

I appreciate the thoughts, Mark.

If I don't misunderstand what you were saying, I presume you mean that the signal to/from the original P2 controller (not the Vision series) is 2.4 ghz. I went and checked the video transmitter that was recommended for those of us trying to get an a/v signal transmitted from the P2 (the ImmersionRC 600mw), and it does transmit at 5.8 ghz. It would have been nice to have the P2 transmit at 5.8 ghz, but ok...still, I'm guessing that as long as the transmitter I'm installing transmits at 5.8 ghz then I just need to make sure the video monitor I get receives at 5.8 ghz as well. Maybe I'll just look to the brands of FPV monitors that others have successfully used with the ImmersionRC transmitter and play it safe.

If you or anyone knows about this subject issue:
I'd wanted the option of using a tablet for my monitor but, on reading more about it, I'm wondering now if I'm correct that those setups work via the wi-fi connection--which came built-in to the P2 Vision models but not the original P2? So, I could possibly do it if I was to pay the $$ for the wi-fi module and install that, along with the wi-fi antennae part that I see mounted onto the controller. But if I install the little a/v transmitter that many people installed initially (shown in all the Youtube videos), then I need a video monitor with antennae that picks up that signal (like the Black Pearl model)?
It seems to be somewhat cheaper to install the a/v transmitter and buy that kind of specialized FPV monitor (with all the buttons, etc)....but if I spent the money and installed the wi-fi module (presuming that works) then I'd have all the possible benefits of using a cell phone or tablet with great screens, etc.. and not necessarily need a dedicated monitor permanently attached to my drone controller. Is it a wi-fi vs a/v transmitter choice?

Any thoughts from anyone who has considered this before, or knows something I don't?
Thanks...

You'd waste your money by trying to use the wifi module from a P2 vision. You would also have to change the P2 receiver and controller from 2.4GHz to 5.8GHz as well. The P2 non-vision ( basic P2) uses 2.4GHz to communicate and the video signal is transmitted using the 5.8GHz frequency. So the bottom line is you'd interfere with the controller signal and either crash or have a possible fly away.

I don't misunderstand what you were saying, I presume you mean that the signal to/from the original P2 controller (not the Vision series) is 2.4 ghz....

There is no signal "to/from" the original P2 controller. There is a signal from the original P2 controller to the P2 AC. It is the control signal. Its frequency is 2.4 ghz. And that's it.

If you want to mess around with trying to get FPV, you will have to figure it out, and you will find it easier to use a frequency which is something other than the 2.4 ghz band since the 2.4 ghz band is already being used to control the AC.

Don't confuse the control signal already established with the FPV signal which you are trying to figure out. They are two completely independent connections.

Good luck.

There is no signal "to/from" the original P2 controller. There is a signal from the original P2 controller to the P2 AC. It is the control signal. Its frequency is 2.4 ghz. And that's it.

If you want to mess around with trying to get FPV, you will have to figure it out, and you will find it easier to use a frequency which is something other than the 2.4 ghz band since the 2.4 ghz band is already being used to control the AC.

Don't confuse the control signal already established with the FPV signal which you are trying to figure out. They are two completely independent connections.

Good luck.

Mark seems you know very little concerning the P2 non-vision vs a P2 vision and what the OP wishes to do. What he wants to do is install wifi control module from a P2 vision so he can use his tablet without changing the controller and receiver from 2.4GHZ to 5.8GHz since the wifi module operates at 2.4GHz. The Op might as well buy a P2 vision or better yet a used P3.

Mark seems you know very little concerning the P2 non-vision vs a P2 vision and what the OP wishes to do. What he wants to do is install wifi control module from a P2 vision so he can use his tablet without changing the controller and receiver from 2.4GHZ to 5.8GHz since the wifi module operates at 2.4GHz. The Op might as well buy a P2 vision or better yet a used P3.
What don't you agree with re my posts?

What don't you agree with re my posts?

Simply use not everything can be run at the same frequency without creating a problem. A P2 vision operates at a frequency of 5.8GHz while wifi module inside the unit operates at a 2.4GHz frequency. That module not only sends information to the tablet but also controls the gimbal and camera. The P2 vision also used a wifi extender attached to the controller to extend the wifi range.

So that is why I don't agree with you.

That's exactly what I said in Post #2 in the first sentence. So I don't understand what it is that you don't agree with.

For my part, I'm learning from the discussion...so thanks to all of you for that. The deciding factor at the moment may be how much money to spend before it would be smarter to just buy a newer drone (I checked prices and that's pretty realistic.) So, since I've already ordered the iOSD min and the immersionRC a/v transmitter and haven't even gotten them installed yet, I'll hold off on wi-fi considerations for now.

At this point, I do need to choose a FPV receiver/monitor...but good grief there seem to be dozens to choose from. Simple choice would be to go with the crowd and get a Black Pearl. However, there are one or two extra options that I wouldn't mind finding, for personal reasons, such as HDMI-out, maybe a USB port that could be used for more than just updates, maybe an 8"-10" screen even if I had to mount it on tripod. But an IPS screen, diversity, maybe an external battery so I don't have to stop to recharge an internal one, are high on the list. But what are used in practical operation and what things become very important once you get experience...I don't know yet.

Since this is all for a first-time drone operator I'd like to keep it under $200, but I will likely upgrade to a newer drone eventually so it's worth investing in a good one now if I can afford it.

Any recommendations on a good FPV receiver/monitor...and antennaes...that has great range and most or all of the above?

Thanks again,
JT

For my part, I'm learning from the discussion...so thanks to all of you for that. The deciding factor at the moment may be how much money to spend before it would be smarter to just buy a newer drone (I checked prices and that's pretty realistic.) So, since I've already ordered the iOSD min and the immersionRC a/v transmitter and haven't even gotten them installed yet, I'll hold off on wi-fi considerations for now.

At this point, I do need to choose a FPV receiver/monitor...but good grief there seem to be dozens to choose from. Simple choice would be to go with the crowd and get a Black Pearl. However, there are one or two extra options that I wouldn't mind finding, for personal reasons, such as HDMI-out, maybe a USB port that could be used for more than just updates, maybe an 8"-10" screen even if I had to mount it on tripod. But an IPS screen, diversity, maybe an external battery so I don't have to stop to recharge an internal one, are high on the list. But what are used in practical operation and what things become very important once you get experience...I don't know yet.

Since this is all for a first-time drone operator I'd like to keep it under $200, but I will likely upgrade to a newer drone eventually so it's worth investing in a good one now if I can afford it.

Any recommendations on a good FPV receiver/monitor...and antennaes...that has great range and most or all of the above?

Thanks again,
JT

Personally, I prefer the Black Pearl 32 channel monitor/receiver with a self contained battery. Haven't kept up with prices in today's market. Which camera and gimbal are you going to use? The P2 was designed around the Zenmuse gimbals of finding new H3-3D/H4-3D or even a used one in good condition at a reasonable price. There are aftermarket gimbals and cameras available But that's a choice you have to make. Everything I've been using for the past 3 1/2 years is list below in red.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl