forward obstacle avoidance

Reaction score
Any ideas why the drone stops and I get an obstacle avoidance reading when there isn't anything around? I had a professional shop look at it and they say the sensors are fine and it doesn't do that for them.

I reinstalled the DJI Go app on my phone after deleting it from settings on my iphone 6. (not just icon)
I looked for the app to delete from computer in Icloud account, but didn't see it there.

thoughts?

How was the lighting where you were flying? Was your Phantom flying toward the sun?

Were you flying at night? Or are you just confirming your Phantom was not pointed toward the sun?

Any ideas why the drone stops and I get an obstacle avoidance reading when there isn't anything around?
Just personal opinion, I know these OA sensors were put in for the safety of the AC, but they are not perfected. From what I read and understand they are more of a nuisance than anything else. I will admit, I only fly a P3A and it only has VPS, which I keep turned off. I prefer to fly without those, due to the unpredictability of the terrain where you land and/or take off. In my experience US, sensors are just iffy at best. They just don't add a lot a value at this point in technology. This could change, but for now I prefer to do without.

Just personal opinion, I know these OA sensors were put in for the safety of the AC, but they are not perfected. From what I read and understand they are more of a nuisance than anything else. I will admit, I only fly a P3A and it only has VPS, which I keep turned off. I prefer to fly without those, due to the unpredictability of the terrain where you land and/or take off. In my experience US, sensors are just iffy at best. They just don't add a lot a value at this point in technology. This could change, but for now I prefer to do without.
I guess your right, I could give up and just turn them off. I just like things to work.

@SeaFlowe, did you try calibrating the sensors like this?

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Possible no fly zone error ? I would get a "return sticks to normal position error" in mid air reaching a no fly boundary.

Just a thought, but that would apply to sensor and sensorless flights.

Try the sensor calibration above, and you may be in luck.

AS the others suggested, the sensors on these drones are more of a gimmick for novice pilots, a vision sensor will not prevent you from crashing or flying blind. Their purpose needs to be understood before people think their P4P has 360 degree safety protection when they fly into a fence.

Possible no fly zone error ? I would get a "return sticks to normal position error" in mid air reaching a no fly boundary.

Just a thought, but that would apply to sensor and sensorless flights.

Try the sensor calibration above, and you may be in luck.

AS the others suggested, the sensors on these drones are more of a gimmick for novice pilots, a vision sensor will not prevent you from crashing or flying blind. Their purpose needs to be understood before people think their P4P has 360 degree safety protection when they fly into a fence.
Sensors are not a gimmick they work. Where do you come up with, they are a gimmick?

Sensors are not a gimmick they work. Where do you come up with, they are a gimmick?
I was referring more to the over-reliance on the vision sensors.

The downward vps is indeed useful but just look at the number of cases of phantom 4's/mavics/p4p flying into trees/fences etc? (a lot).

I'm not bashing the system, just saying we all need to realize the limitations of the vision system especially with lighting conditions.

Don't get me wrong i love the vision system, but I dont think i would stop flying if it failed one day, or it was removed from the lineup.
My inspire 1 doesn't have it and I dont even realize it.

One day i put it to the test, since im on over 100 flights and think I've gotten my moneys worth. Took it out and recorded a sled ride of my daughter and i, while it tracked us. If it crashes it crashes, let it do its thing. Of course i tried to plot a route with the least obstacles but sure enough it did avoid a bare leaved tree with branches. Maybe I'm just lucky but that proved to me i didnt waste my money by spending more on a Phantom.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West