What is the minimum distance Visual obstacle avoidance will alllow in tripod mode- P4P-v2?

Reaction score
I’m going to be doing some roof inspections. Residential.
Does anyone know what the minimum distance the drone can fly close to an object before the visual obstacle avoidance sensors stops it?

I know it’s supposed to start before it hit some thing but I’ve been unwilling to test it that closely to a roof or a wall.
I did a little inspection of my own roof this morning and I’ve done so in the past and I came a bit closer today than I’ve done in the past and it was OK with the obstacle sensor alarm beeping at me.

But I’m wondering what the actual distance is supposed to be. And if you’re coming close to a peaked roof how that would affect it.

If proximity is an issue, remember that you can always just turn OAS off. I have done it numerous times with no problems. You should always be able to see the drone anyway, and if sight angles are an issue use a spotter to give you another vantage point. (Especially during summer months, one’s kids can be surprisingly available and helpful...)

Thanks. Already did the shoot.
I definitely did NOT want to turn it off as the buildings on either side were taller than the house I was shooting and VERY close. And there was a little wind.
even with the GPS and OAS a good gust would have pushed me into a wall...
this is the area she needed to see because of water coming in and overflowing the gutter.
Definitely a few sphincter clenching moments.....
DJI_0648_1000px_web.jpg

Not a job I'd like to repeat often.

And yes, I did say "Why don't you ask your neighbor if you can just look out the window" - apparently he is a slumlord that doesn't live there and the tenants don't care either. Wasn't an option.

In my experience, at least when creeping up on something, the drone will stop about 2.5 metres (8 feet) from the obstacle. I don't think the stopping distance changes in tripod mode.
The forward vision sensors have a vertical range of 54 degrees - 27 degrees above and below the horizontal. I imagine that when approaching a sloping roof line, a more gradual slope would bring you closer than 2.5 metres to the roof below.

Last edited:
Are you saying you flew in between these two buildings?
No. I got as close as I dared to the wall on the left. Trying to get a decent shot of the end of the gutters there and I was below the roofline of the left hand building for a few shots.
I have a few shots where I’m a few feet more to the left. Maybe 3-4’ from the wall.
tense few moments…

Attachments

• B41B79E4-B91D-48CA-B4C3-41DB041E9641.jpeg
    B41B79E4-B91D-48CA-B4C3-41DB041E9641.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Cropped in slightly from full frame. She needed to see what was happening here as water was coming down the windows below the downspout at the corner.
No other way to see it. Neighbors not cooperative…

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik