Forced to Take DJI Exam?!?

A private company has no rights to make anyone jump thru hoops. As you said "fly in NAS" and as such the responsible entity for ensuring proper operation is the owner of the NAS or the FAA. BTW my pants are exactly where i want them.

Please cite or reference your source for the first sentence (bold-ed emphasis added).

It just sounds like what many have said previously but have yet to prove or substantiate.

You could be the first!

Reactions: Helihover
My app crashed in flight and when I relaunched it I didn't see any skip button and had to complete the questionnaire while my drone was out over ocean. That sucked.

A private company has no rights to make anyone jump thru hoops. As you said "fly in NAS" and as such the responsible entity for ensuring proper operation is the owner of the NAS or the FAA. BTW my pants are exactly where i want them.

Wrong question. You should be asking "what law prevents them from implementing this?"

Please cite or reference your source for the first sentence (bold-ed emphasis added).

It just sounds like what many have said previously but have yet to prove or substantiate.

You could be the first!
Be glad to! Rights come from the people granted to the government thru the Constitution. To my knowledge the government (FAA) didn't delegate any rights regarding NAS to DJI.

Be glad to! Rights come from the people granted to the government thru the Constitution. To my knowledge the government (FAA) didn't delegate any rights regarding NAS to DJI.

To your knowledge may be sincere but it is not proof.
You're sounding like a Bell just chiming-in.

Now your (also) claiming a Constitution violation???
On what authority do I attribute this claim to?
Please stop digging and just cite your source(s).

Here's a 3rd-party link explaining FAA participation in the quiz development.
DJI Requires Knowledge Quiz for First-Time Drone Pilots - Unmanned Aerial

I assume you have access to info available on the web too... yet nothing?

My app crashed in flight and when I relaunched it I didn't see any skip button and had to complete the questionnaire while my drone was out over ocean. That sucked.

Ok, if true that’s horrible. What if you failed?

I don't know how so many attorneys have time to bicker on this forum.

I'm not an attorney.
It's a discussion on a chat forum.

Ya' know, like you're doing too.

Reactions: Myetkt and sar104

Did you happen to read any portion of the post I referenced? Aircraft manufacturers requiring tests and training before they will even sell you their AC.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
To your knowledge may be sincere but it is not proof.
You're sounding like a Bell just chiming-in.

Now your (also) claiming a Constitution violation???
On what authority do I attribute this claim to?
Please stop digging and just cite your source(s).

Here's a 3rd-party link explaining FAA participation in the quiz development.
DJI Requires Knowledge Quiz for First-Time Drone Pilots - Unmanned Aerial

I assume you have access to info available on the web too... yet nothing?
Maybe you can understand this. If I somehow figured a way around taking the test and flew my Phantom using the DJI app I've violated no law or regulation. The FAA doesn't care about the DJI test from a legal perspective. DJI has no authority to take any action against me what so ever for jailbreaking their test. This is something dreamt up in their board room for what ever reason. It probably isn't breaking any consumer protection laws. It's simply over-reach by a company. My level of proficiency is none of their business. BTW, not claiming a constitutional violation, You ask me where rights come from. This is no more than a case of over-reach by a company. No more, No less. You keep asking for proof, but their's nothing to prove. I've never said they were breaking a law, I said it's not their responsibility.

Maybe you can understand this. If I somehow figured a way around taking the test and flew my Phantom using the DJI app I've violated no law or regulation. The FAA doesn't care about the DJI test from a legal perspective. DJI has no authority to take any action against me what so ever for jailbreaking their test. This is something dreamt up in their board room for what ever reason. It probably isn't breaking any consumer protection laws. It's simply over-reach by a company. My level of proficiency is none of their business. BTW, not claiming a constitutional violation, You ask me where rights come from. This is no more than a case of over-reach by a company. No more, No less. You keep asking for proof, but their's nothing to prove. I've never said they were breaking a law, I said it's not their responsibility.

And conversely, no one is arguing that it is DJI's responsibility. DJI's motivation is, as it should be, to maximize profit, so we can safely conclude that this was a commercial decision designed to try to protect the consumer UAV market from potentially damaging regulatory requirements. Whether it proves effective is yet to be seen.

Did you happen to read any portion of the post I referenced? Aircraft manufacturers requiring tests and training before they will even sell you their AC.
No problem with requiring training or testing prior to the sale. But once I buy it and take it home it's mine and you don't have a say in what I do with it.

Interesting points..

As mentioned, there are some aircraft manufactuers that require factory training before they will sell you their product. I work on Cirrus Aircraft, you have to be a certified Cirrus Service Center, have a percentage of your workforce receive factory training before they will sell you any parts or give you access to maintenance publications. Now we have DJI - they've sold us a product and are now implementing addional requirements on the purchaser AFTER the purchase. Legal? I haven't read the fine print in their manuals or in the pre-amble attached to firmware updates to show that they reserve the right to manipulate their drones after the sale (as they been doing). One could try sueing them, I bet the army of lawyers are already in place. I believe DJI is doing this to minimize their liability, plain and simple. As this industry evoles and regulation evolves around it, like it or not I could see more of this happening.

Reactions: Myetkt
No problem with requiring training or testing prior to the sale. But once I buy it and take it home it's mine and you don't have a say in what I do with it.
You’re right, they can’t tell you what to do with it once you buy it and take it home. They not only don’t want to tell you what to do with it, they want to get as far away from what you do with it as possible. Problem is when someone who doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing with it, flys it into someplace or someone and then that someone turns around and sues you and DJI for damages (because that’s where the deep pockets are). Then DJI can at least go into court and say we tried to teach this guy some responsibility, but he wouldn’t listen.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Interesting points..

As mentioned, there are some aircraft manufactuers that require factory training before they will sell you their product. I work on Cirrus Aircraft, you have to be a certified Cirrus Service Center, have a percentage of your workforce receive factory training before they will sell you any parts or give you access to maintenance publications. Now we have DJI - they've sold us a product and are now implementing addional requirements on the purchaser AFTER the purchase. Legal? I haven't read the fine print in their manuals or in the pre-amble attached to firmware updates to show that they could manipulte their drones after the sale (as they been doing). One could try sueing them, I bet the army of lawyers are already in place. I believe DJI is doing this to minimize their liability, plain and simple. As this industry evoles and regulation evolves around it, like it or not I could see more of this happening.
Haha.. I think we are saying the same thing here.. you type faster than me..... but then again I don’t think you have a 80 pound golden retriever laying on your lap like I do.

If it's not real then the NYT has been duped. It can be reached from their site.

Drone Maker D.J.I. May Be Sending Data to China, U.S. Officials Say
Thanks for validating its authenticity! :cool:
Doesn't this somewhat contradict your statements in post #275 above?

"Paradigms are changing, rapidly, and I have yet to be convinced that DJI is doing anything but protecting it's interests. That's what corps. do.

Lots of opinions which are worth what they cost but no proof."

Isn't this proof, assuming the document concerns are valid, that DJI is acting in a manner inconsistent with mere corporate profit motives, and may, perhaps, have an agenda with a more sinister motivation, backed by the Chinese government? Just because we are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after us! ;)

That sucks big time, validating all my concerns about this useless intrusion into our flying app, which is just some "feel good" test to provide lip service to safety, while endangering safety by allowing it to invasively intrude upon the control of the aircraft by the pilot in midflight, while battery life may be critical to a safe return! :eek:

This is exactly the type of BS that GEO did, when it imposed itself upon pilots in midflight with modal dialogue boxes that blocked the screen, forcing the pilot to carefully tick three separate boxes, while not ticking the report an error box, which would launch your browser over the app! :eek:

DJI, get your act together! :eek:

What they are publicly doing is not necessarily related with something else some suspect they are doing. As I understand it...The document is purportedly a leaked field office document and I’m not sure it represents the agency’s official position. I have not looked any further at this since the post you referenced.

Isn't this proof, assuming the document concerns are valid, that DJI is acting in a manner inconsistent with mere corporate profit motives, and may, perhaps, have an agenda with a more sinister motivation, backed by the Chinese government?
It's only proof that someone in ICE thinks that but it doesn't prove that their fanciful paranoia is valid..

Reactions: Myetkt

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor