Forced to Take DJI Exam?!?

Reaction score
WTF?!? I just picked up a Spark when they dropped the price to $399 almost everywhere. Charged it up, updated firmware as expected. Opened up the GO4 app and was faced with a panel that told me I had to take a DJI exam on safe flight. It said I could skip the exam four times, which I did, but on the fifth time it FORCED me to take a DJI exam on safe flight. No options; take the exam or don't fly!!! As if spyware and micromanagement of flying wasn't enough. Just goes to show, when you have a monopoly on the market you can do as you please. I passed without problem, but DJI really has gone over the top. And what if I failed the exam? My Spark would be neutered??? I'm certified part 107, but I still have to pass DJI's exam to fly?

I don’t see how this is a bad thing in any way shape or form. Promoting safety is what the industry needs. It’s a proactive move by DJI to provide this. I’m sure if you failed you would have to take the test again until you passed it... makes sense to me

Just happened to me too, but haven't taken the test yet. Not sure just how I feel about it. One hand says, good thing, make sure the person has some idea. But on the other hand, the are no such tests for other flying toys, so maybe over steping their bounds a bit. However, why the test, is a good question and WHO and WHY could be interesting. ;)

Reactions: captainstubbie
As if spyware and micromanagement of flying wasn't enough. Just goes to show, when you have a monopoly on the market you can do as you please.
Just shows that some people will go over the top about the most trivial things.
btw ... Spyware?? I've not heard anyone suggest that DJI is delivering spyware before.

I don’t believe they have the authority and they overstepped their boundaries. We have our people who make the rules and license us. There is a proper structure to things. They just confuse things. Maybe it makes them feel good. You are right to feel the way you do. It is not trivial. DJI is a control freak!
When you give in a little, they always want more.

I fully understand the concept of the test. For one, it reinstates the safety rules to the owner. Secondly, it says DJI has done its part in trying to make the consumer fly responsibly. My question would be, will the exam influence the way you would fly the Spark with or without taking an exam.

It’s their app (I’m sure their terms of service was updated) , I don’t think you have to take the exam if you fly your drone without a device/iDevice hooked up. It took about 3 minutes and passed.

Gotta remember, a 13yr old may get a Spark for Christmas. It's not bad to educate all new owners. And if a new Spark owner happens to be Part 107 certified, it shouldn't take long to ace the test. I see no problem with this, and endorse any manufacturer's effort to educate newbies, for the greater good. It's ethically the right thing to do IMO.

Lol! Sheep. How many have taken exams from Toyota, Ford, Chevy, the last time they bought a car? Took an exam for Black and Decker when they bought a drill? Taken a manufacturer’s exam for anything they’ve purchased, EVER? Do you think there’s a reason the US Government banned any government use of DJI products? LOL!

I have to admit this does throw up some concerns, not at passing the test, but at how easy it will be for them to ground you, also the fact there is no mention of this when you buy the Drone, there is also no legal requirement at this time to take a test,

It would be interesting if someone was to buy a drone and not take the test, but then sue DJI for grounding their bird, as they are blackmailing you into doing something not listed when you purchase, and not required by any law.

I have to admit this does throw up some concerns, not at passing the test, but at how easy it will be for them to ground you, also the fact there is no mention of this when you buy the Drone, there is also no legal requirement at this time to take a test,

It would be interesting if someone was to buy a drone and not take the test, but then sue DJI for grounding their bird, as they are blackmailing you into doing something not listed when you purchase, and not required by any law.
One thing for certain, it would be GROUNDS for returning it. This may get interesting for dealers. Not to mention, possible consumer law aspect, denying use of you property, not informing the buyer of all restrictions and requirements. California is a strict consumer advocate, not sure the have the right to test.
Anyone with law experience, a lawyer?
Another thread on this implies this is not a one time event, that would be concerning.:eek: it only pops up after you arm the motors, a lousy time to obscure you screen.

Last edited:
I may make enemies on this forum with my position, but I'm OK with that. Having to pass an exam to be able to use a product a person legitimately purchased in a retail store is never OK. It has never been acceptable practice by any company in the free market. Those who feel that it is OK are either mouthpieces for the company, or so passively sheep that they buy into whatever DJI dictates. This is not a slam on DJI technology, for I deeply respect the advances they've made with drones. But from a business perspective, this is totally contrary to a free market society. And from a legal perspective, I would conclude this is not in compliance with full disclosure to the consumer market.

Seemingly another effort by DJI (following geofencing, aeroscope etc) to convince regulators they are going above an beyond to keep drone use a safe endeavour. No doubt they are in on the design phase of any new legislation drafting also. It’s not a surprise DJI are doing everything they can think of to avoid restrictions being placed in the sale of their products. As much as people might not like where this is going it is inevitable.

Reactions: Yenrab and kryptek
Those who feel that it is OK are either mouthpieces for the company, or so passively sheep that they buy into whatever DJI dictates.
No-one here is a mouthpiece for DJI.
And you left out another alternative.
They could simply be intelligent enough to realise that this is no real imposition and the 3 minutes it takes doesn't even rate as something to get upset about.
Save your anger for things that really matter.
And from a legal perspective, I would conclude this is not in compliance with full disclosure to the consumer market.
For those imagining they will be barred from flying for failing the test, I suspect DJI aren't that stupid.

Sue them for not being able to use their app? I am a Apple developer, you have a TOS for each and every app you create. To my knowledge if you skip the App you can still fly. I could be wrong but read their TOS. Seems like a small thing to get mad about taking a silly little test to fly your drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj