Forced to Take DJI Exam?!?

By answering the questions when first presented while the craft is on the ground.
You are assuming facts not in evidence. Where was it stated that the quiz had previously been offered and declined? The quiz presented itself for the first time, after the app crashed, while in midflight. Does the mere possibility of this not concern you? :eek: Do you know of some way to deliberately trigger the first presentation of the quiz while on the ground? DJI didn't think this one through! The quiz should never be able to be triggered while in flight, even if the app crashes! Batteries should also never shut off while the aircraft is in the air, yet they do, whenever a single cell drops below 3.0V, even for a second! This is DJI programming at its worst!

You are assuming facts not in evidence. Where was it stated that the quiz had previously been offered and declined? The quiz presented itself for the first time, after the app crashed, while in midflight. Does the mere possibility of this not concern you? :eek: Do you know of some way to deliberately trigger the first presentation of the quiz while on the ground? DJI didn't think this one through! The quiz should never be able to be triggered while in flight, even if the app crashes! Batteries should also never shut off while the aircraft is in the air, yet they do, whenever a single cell drops below 3.0V, even for a second! This is DJI programming at its worst!

If it had been the first time the quiz had appeared then there would have been a skip option. So either he had skipped it several times already, he failed to see the obvious "skip" option, or he has mis-remembered something. As for triggering it, that's just by upgrading to the latest app version. It appears as soon as you connect to the aircraft.

If it had been the first time the quiz had appeared then there would have been a skip option. So either he had skipped it several times already, he failed to see the obvious "skip" option, or he has mis-remembered something. As for triggering it, that's just by upgrading to the latest app version. It appears as soon as you connect to the aircraft.
Can we agree that triggering it, while in flight, with no opportunity to skip it, even if the app crashes, is unacceptable and unsafe (defeating its ostensible purpose of enhancing safety), no matter how many times you have skipped it previously?

No, the test is presented before you even enter the flight screen. Meaning before the aircraft takes flight, meaning before it has a chance to crash. It is clear that if the app crashed while over the ocean, and if the test was then presented, then it’s clear the operator fail to take the test while the craft was on the ground.

This so easy to understand, why are some so confused?

No, the test is presented before you even enter the flight screen. Meaning before the aircraft takes flight, meaning before it has a chance to crash. It is clear that if the app crashed while over the ocean, and if the test was then presented, then it’s clear the operator fail to take the test while the craft was on the ground.

This so easy to understand, why are some so confused?
See post #323 above ^^^

See post #323 above ^^^
I’m not really sure. Your asking for an opinion.... I guess ya that would be a good thing. Yes.

I just thought of something, these DJI craft fly with no app right? If the pilot over the ocean was in that big of a bind couldn’t he have just hit the RTH button? And then took the test! Lol

Can we agree that triggering it, while in flight, with no opportunity to skip it, even if the app crashes, is unacceptable and unsafe (defeating its ostensible purpose of enhancing safety), no matter how many times you have skipped it previously?

Yes - I agree that would not be good, but it's hard to see how it could have happened like that.

Yes - I agree that would not be good, but it's hard to see how it could have happened like that.
Well, then we are in agreement, whether it happened as described or not. That is my main concern! There should be no way, under any circumstances, for the quiz to interrupt an ongoing flight, and require completion in the air. :cool: I don't want to find myself in his shoes, as descibed! There have also been a few reports of the quiz coming up more than once, after completion.

Reactions: sar104
Lol! Sheep. How many have taken exams from Toyota, Ford, Chevy, the last time they bought a car? Took an exam for Black and Decker when they bought a drill? Taken a manufacturer’s exam for anything they’ve purchased, EVER? Do you think there’s a reason the US Government banned any government use of DJI products? LOL!

You do have a point "If we pick from the middle and use 8 million, the estimates suggest that in any particular year, about one table saw in 229 will be in an accident that sends someone to the emergency room, and that one in about 2,076 saws will result in an accident with an amputation as the result." thats a quote on table saw injurys,no test. Just saying..........

Comparing Chinese toy drones to the highly regulated automobiles shows just how different the industries are.

Typically, careless use of a power tool is limited to the operator.

Not the same with these wireless Chinese toys. It’s the risk to the public which precipitates DJIs CYA iniatives.

Regardless, if a major incident does occur with one of their toys they will sure be involved with litigation. Culpable or not.

Reactions: BigAl07
If the App triggers the test then why can't you just close the Ap completely and fly the aircraft manually back home?

Am I missing something here? The Tx to Rx connection is still there even if the device running the ap is removed. Granted you won't have all the telemetry and such but you can still FLY the aircraft but this assumes you are a responsible UAS Operator and have learned to fly (guide the aircraft) enough without the display device so you can land safely should it just happen to die. ????

No-one here is a mouthpiece for DJI.
And you left out another alternative.
They could simply be intelligent enough to realise that this is no real imposition and the 3 minutes it takes doesn't even rate as something to get upset about.
Save your anger for things that really matter.
For those imagining they will be barred from flying for failing the test, I suspect DJI aren't that stupid.

It becomes non-trivial when passing the dumb test - that does absolutely zilch for mitigating risk - does not shut it off.
Mine persists in offering the test even after passing it.
How would you feel if every time you hopped in your car it decided to give you a pop quiz road test or you don't drive?

It does provide some mitigation to DJI.
Sure you’re still able to fly carelessly but now a bit little less ignorantly.

I’m all for less ignorance.

It does provide some mitigation to DJI.
Sure you’re still able to fly carelessly but now a bit little less ignorantly.

I’m all for less ignorance.
Nonsense - it allows you to skip it 4 times. That means 4 tries at supposedly risky behavior. 4 out of 5 is pretty good odds if you're going to do something stupid out of ignorance.

Maybe you misunderstand the purpose.
You can (still) exercise risky behavior indefinitely.

Reactions: sar104
Maybe you misunderstand the purpose.
You can (still) exercise risky behavior indefinitely.
Responding to your assertion it was mitigation for DJI.
It mitigates nothing, at best it is something they can point to and say "we told them so". But then you have to have someone pointing the finger - who would that be? Most law worldwide absolves a manufacturer from liability arising from use unless there are damages due to failure as a result of negligence. Honda is not at fault or culpable when some idiot precipitates an accident. They ARE culpable if the airbag goes off due to a negligence created fault and that causes an accident.
So no - I do NOT understand the purpose.
So given the failsafes built in to DJI drones they are pretty much covered for negligence - they are culpable for absolutely nothing an operator does knowingly or out of ignorance.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Responding to your assertion it was mitigation for DJI.
It mitigates nothing, at best it is something they can point to and say "we told them so". But then you have to have someone pointing the finger - who would that be? Most law worldwide absolves a manufacturer from liability arising from use unless there are damages due to failure as a result of negligence. Honda is not at fault or culpable when some idiot precipitates an accident. They ARE culpable if the airbag goes off due to a negligence created fault and that causes an accident.
So no - I do NOT understand the purpose.
So given the failsafes built in to DJI drones they are pretty much covered for negligence - they are culpable for absolutely nothing an operator does knowingly or out of ignorance.
True, if they could just keep their firmware straight. The rest of the liability would be on the pilot. They have things backwards.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119