Follow Me Mode Voids your Phantom Warranty?!!! Wow, just Wow

Had a fly-away crash with my Phantom 4. I sent it to DJI for evaluation of the logs and warranty repair.

Loved the Phantom, but this will be the last DJI product I ever buy with this response.

Count me as another one who will not buy another DJI product. This and other cases where they have said a "crash" was not covered because of using 3rd party apps, etc. has convinced me they will do anything to get out of warranty repair/replacement of their defective parts. That plus the difficulty of consumer repairs to the Phantoms and the high cost of parts has driven me to buy or build a multicopter with commonly available parts which can do all or most of the things the Phantom 3 & 4 can do at a cost less than half of what the Phantom 4 purchase price. I'm not including the cost of a 4K GoPro in that but even then it would be much less and enable rapid repairs of crashed aircraft or defective parts.

Reactions: qrandle
So this hasn't been resolved yet. Let the tussin soak in folks let the tussin soak in.

A neighbor down the road from me had a similar fly away issue. And he used PAyPal to pay for his phantom. When DJI said not covered under warranty he opened up a case for a refund. all he had to do on paypal request to close the case in his favor was, have a third party opinion/diagnosis who is a retailer repair shop, hobby shop give him a letter stating the age of phantom and in their professional opinion definatly a manufacture glitch in the electronics and not a operator error. Good for him. He got a full refund from paypal.
Good to Know because thats exactly
A neighbor down the road from me had a similar fly away issue. And he used PAyPal to pay for his phantom. When DJI said not covered under warranty he opened up a case for a refund. all he had to do on paypal request to close the case in his favor was, have a third party opinion/diagnosis who is a retailer repair shop, hobby shop give him a letter stating the age of phantom and in their professional opinion definatly a manufacture glitch in the electronics and not a operator error. Good for him. He got a full refund from paypal.
Good to know because I purchased mine that way to

All intelligent functions are under warranty. Users need to be cautious when using those functions, do not fly near trees, people and or buildings. Each case will be looked at on a case by case bases.
Seems like every case I have heard about they didn't side with the customer
Read these posts there's a new case every day where someone uses a third party app and something happens and DJI offers to sell them a new one at a discount
What about DJI Care they told me that even if I crash while flying with Litchi they would fix it

If you add a gimble guard it voids the warranty? what is the logic in n that???
To the extent you modify, alter or add something other than an approved accesory you shouldnt expect warranty to be honoured if you suffer damage or loss that might be reasonably attributed to the subject addition or modification. This is by no means unique to DJI.

If, for example, the gimble guard was installed in a way that the ultrasonic sensors recorded an incorrect altitude and that was shown to have contributed to a crash you may have an argument on your hands.

Reactions: flpholt
Read these posts there's a new case every day where someone uses a third party app and something happens and DJI offers to sell them a new one at a discount
What about DJI Care they told me that even if I crash while flying with Litchi they would fix it

That's definitely not the case. But there is nothing I can say to change some of your opinions.

DJI care covers crashes cause by user or anything else for that matter.

What about DJI care? Was it purchased? If so, anything and everything is covered (within limits of course).

DJI tells you it's covered until you send it back then DJI THINKS UP A REASON NOT TO COVER DAMAGES.
Demonstrate it is a design or manufacture issue and the statutory warranties and consumer laws in most juristictions provide for an enforceable remedy.

The OP problem in this case is that without the AC and access to the .dat log file there is no way to deminstrate what actually hapoened. From what is known the AC performed an autoland following a critical battery condition. Perhaps if the flight was flown with DJI GO more data would be available and the outcome might be different.

DJI tells you it's covered until you send it back then DJI THINKS UP A REASON NOT TO COVER DAMAGES.

No, because usually the data shows user error. That's the difference now there's logs and data doesn't lie.

and people on here say there no one from dji looking at threads ummmmmmm wrong

I recently purchased a phantom 4 and was going to try out the follow me mode this weekend.
However I wasn't going to try it if it voided warrenty so I contacted dji and they said using follow me mode does not void warrenty. Hopefully that is the case.

I recently purchased a phantom 4 and was going to try out the follow me mode this weekend.
However I wasn't going to try it if it voided warrenty so I contacted dji and they said using follow me mode does not void warrenty. Hopefully that is the case.

Hopefully, but be prepared for any adverse reaction when engaging follow me mode, as in the OP's post. The outcome of that adventure is still pending.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: flpholt
and people on here say there no one from dji looking at threads ummmmmmm wrong
You know there's always DJI and FAA as well as others always looking in here .At least with blade we can get some answers .
Might not be what we want to hear but still .
Blade left for awhile but to be honest I'm glad he came back . Well as a posting member anyway .
Hey...I bet even the Pumpkin Master reads in here ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav