Follow Me Mode Voids your Phantom Warranty?!!! Wow, just Wow

I looked didn't see anything except if you add anything to bird like gimble guard it voids warranty

If the cruise control in your car was active and you crashed because you failed to over ride it when an unexpected event occured would you expect the vehicle manufacturer to pay for repairs?

There have been reported instances of the poi position being incorrectly recorded, concerning and unfortunate. The crash could most likely have been avoided by changing modes on the remote to regain control. Notwithstanding i recall an earlier event posted here where anither member had a simmillar incident and DJI fixed in warranty.

I dint think this is game over by any means.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
what are your thoughts on this one
I will have to look at that video and read it all flpholt . Just saw what I quoted .
And he wanted to know what they thought so I showed em how to ask .
I have only had to deal with DJI twice and both times was A+ for me .
Just from what I looked at I would go with what WetDog said and try there and see what was said .

Were you using the Go app? ActiveTrack?

All my opinion but, the best way to get an answer is to check in with DJI directly. If the US location, I assume you mean California, told you that then I would contact China. If you used the Go app I assume this information is wrong. If it's not I could see a class action suit winning easily as they promote this function with no warnings. I looked over the web info on the warranty and it's not there. Same goes for the third party apps... I have seen stories where people were denied warranty for using them. If they approve an SDK then they must bear some responsibility unless purchasers are clearly notified of that little detail.

DJI Warranty - DJI - After-sales Service Policies

All my opinion but, the best way to get an answer is to check in with DJI directly. If the US location, I assume you mean California, told you that then I would contact China. If you used the Go app I assume this information is wrong. If it's not I could see a class action suit winning easily as they promote this function with no warnings. I looked over the web info on the warranty and it's not there. Same goes for the third party apps... I have seen stories where people were denied warranty for using them. If they approve an SDK then they must bear some responsibility unless purchasers are clearly notified of that little detail.

thanks for chiming in this is kinda worry sum

My search skills cant be very good. Two posts come to mind. Both described circumstances where follow mode was wngaged and the AC crashed (one was power lines and the other a tree if i recall correctly). DjI repaired/replaced on both occasions.

I remember with respect to one instance members here analyzed logs from the AC with the consensus being the AC flew towards a different position uploaded then what was reported by the gps in the device attached to the controller.

+1 re enquiry with DJI china.

I got the run around locally (im in Australia). Live chat followed by email exchange and i had return authorisation and packing slip and mailing label within two hours. Courier collected next day.

This is one reason why I declined DJI's offer to repair my P2v+ "not under warranty"... because 1) it _was_ under warranty and 2) I had to agree not to tell anyone. If customers cannot repair factual information about how a company does business then there is no accountability.

I went to court over my lawsuit and DJI did not even show up. Judge offered a default judgement but I declined.

My lawsuit has allowed me the need to spend hours reviewing DJI's warranty and how the Magnuson-Moss Act applies to it. DJI's warranty fails to meet the standards of the MM Act in many ways. As the MM Act applies (DJI offers an express warranty) any ambiguities goes in favor of the customer... and there are a _ton_ of them. Read it for yourself... it basically states that they will repair or replace the damaged parts within their perspective time frame. So the sky is the limit. It then has a few exclusions. Nothing mentioned by the OP is excluded.

I'd recommend to anyone that the _tell_ the repair company to send a report to DJI on the matter. This is about the only way to get someone at DJI to review the case. If anyone needs to file suit DJI will probably just ignore it (unless you are in CA). I'd also recommend that _anyone_ with a warranty issue report it to the CA Dept of Consumer Affairs. With enough complaints they will investigate and it's very possible that they might make DJI stop doing business in CA until they correct their issues.

Thanks. I've looked at the DJI documentation and don't get how they claim follow me feature designed into the unit voids the warranty. If that is their intent there needs to be a lot more explicit communications

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks. I've looked at the DJI documentation and don't get how they claim follow me feature designed into the unit voids the warranty. If that is their intent there needs to be a lot more explicit communications

Don't give up the fight RGB! You may want to PM tcope and get the skinny on how to rattle DJI's cage. The outcome of this affects us all, so we're fighting right along with you. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: flpholt
Have you asked on the DJI Phantom Forums why they won't honor the warranty when using one of its features? Likely one of the mods (DJI Ken maybe?) can shed some light on this.

Has anyone found in the warranty description, an escape-clause stating using the machine as per design, voids the warranty?

That's screwed up. Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: flpholt
One thing I would do right now....

_SAVE A COPY OF DJI's WARRANTY PAGE_

As mentioned above, I have a lawsuit pending. DJI denied warranty service because, even though they agree the damage occurred within the warranty period and I filed the claim within the warranty period, they did not receive the Phantom within that time frame (makes no sense as then their warranty period would _never_ be as long as they say). The warranty is not included with the Phantom (it's required) and is only online. So it can be changed by them at any time and it's no longer easy to know if something was added and when.

I'll be brief as I don't want to thread cap.... I filed a claim within the warranty period but sent the Phantom in after the warranty was up. DJI claims since they did not get it within the warranty period, it was outside the warranty and they would not repair. If you look at the warranty page today it has the following:

DJI - After-sales Service Policies
n. Respective product has not been sent back to DJI 7 calendar days after warranty service confirmation from DJI.

However, I printed that page on 4/15/2016 and there _was no "n"_. It was _just_ added (so I would like to call this the "tcope exclusion" :) )

So DJI can/will change/add to their warranty. Since it's only online, there is no good/easy way to know it's been changed. For example, they could add a 3rd part app exclusion (and I suspect it may happen) and no one would know when it was added. This is one reason why companies are required to furnish warranties with the product (again DJI does not do this). DJI has every right to change their warranty... but it does not alter existing warranties. I'm not saying DJI won't acknowledge this change and let people know it does not apply to them..... but...... they do claim things are in the warranty and then fully admit that they are not.

Reactions: RodC

I agree on the communications part.
I also understand that the use of follow-me and other autonomous flight modes cause a LOT of crashes! These crashes are not all DJI's fault and/or responsibility. In fact, most quadcopters of any type (I looked at Yuneecs warranty) expressly state they are not warranted against crashes.

This is not meant as a comment on your exact situation, but rather to illustrate that there are almost an infinite number of ways a person could crash a bird with autonomous flight...and obviously they are not all under warranty. The famous Q500 video with the motorcyclist doing a follow-me comes to mind....down a highway with quite a few trees. His bird was smashed into many pieces.

I actually wrote an article recently that sheds some light on all of this - the concept of shared responsibility (again, in some cases...not commenting on this one!). There are always the outlying questions such as "could a pilot who switched quickly out of autonomous flight have saved the bird?", etc

Anyway - I think some will find this an interesting read:
Did your Drone Crash? Maybe it's not your Fault! - Drone Flyers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20